LD Jayden Struble (2019, 46th, MTL)

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Was really impressed by Jayden Struble this season. An explosive puck-moving defenseman who plays with an edge. He was ranked 48th NA skater on NHL Central Scouting list.

DOB 2001-08-09
Height 183 cm / 6'0"
Weight 88 kg / 194 lbs
EP Profile

Capture d’écran 2019-05-18 à 15.54.30.png

If anyone is interested, here's a quick scouting report on Jayden Struble. Would love to hear your opinion on him!

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Looks like a pretty good skater like others have said but he is a project and we really need to see him play against some better competition.

I see him as a solid 2nd rounder for a team thinking he has untapped potential based on his size and skillset, how he develops is the key.

Reactions: Andy Lehoux

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Tons of potential. The knock on him as always been attitude. Doesn't always play hard - and doesn't always play smart. Gets kicked out of games for run ins with refs, engaging in childish back-in-forth with other players, etc.

Will be interesting to see what happens next year when he plays at Northeastern. Program has seen plenty of good players the last few years, but the staff there doesn't have the reputation of running a "tight ship". So we'll see if the poor attitude part of his game, straightens out.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Good skill set, although his skating could use a little polish. Seems a bit upright and small cross overs. Although he gains speed this way, it makes you only imagine what he can do if he opens them up and gets a bit lower with his frame. Tons of potential in my opinion

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Looks like he's headed to the BCHL next year. FYI, seems like a lot of New England/Northeast kids playing out there next season...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looks like he's headed to the BCHL next year. FYI, seems like a lot of New England/Northeast kids playing out there next season...

He's following the same route as his teammate at St. Sebastian's from last year Riley Hughes. Victoria in the BCHL and then Northeastern.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I take it as he's physically more mature than others and not much more physical upside

Not always some people are just strong from youth into adulthood. Probably one of those kids who would eventually bench 3 plates if he specifically trained for it.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don't see any list with him in the 2nd. He was drafted in the 6th round in the Habs mock draft and in the 4th on draftsite.

Yeah but Struble was a riser even before the combine, he was a kid that scouts were very aware of from a tools standpoint...raw and not much exposure playing prep but was always going to be picked higher than his profile on here and on individual mock draft lists.

Struble, Johnson, LaCombe...there are some really talented American defenders out there that lack popular exposure but are going to be picked in rounds 2-3 IMO...don't be surprised. The '01 Americans outside the USNTDP are a pretty talented group and many will ultimately have more upside than some of the USNTDP regulars.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah but Struble was a riser even before the combine, he was a kid that scouts were very aware of from a tools standpoint...raw and not much exposure playing prep but was always going to be picked higher than his profile on here and on individual mock draft lists.

Struble, Johnson, LaCombe...there are some really talented American defenders out there that lack popular exposure but are going to be picked in rounds 2-3 IMO...don't be surprised. The '01 Americans outside the USNTDP are a pretty talented group and many will ultimately have more upside than some of the USNTDP regulars.

That wouldn't surprise me, but I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL missed the bus on these guys.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I don't see any list with him in the 2nd. He was drafted in the 6th round in the Habs mock draft and in the 4th on draftsite.
just like Romanov was on no list. Struble does so many things great, his lateral movements are unreal, love how he joins the rush! he's everything you want in a modern Dman and he's an August born, so still 17 and raw af!

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I wasn't familiar with this player predaft but based on what I've seen from him, I'm cautiously optimistic. Considering his combine numbers, it's hard to believe he's one of the youngest players in the draft. He's one of those freakish athletes.

Reactions: KristichBabych

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Northeastern has overcommitted again and bunch on new D being added to roster in september
will be interesting if he gets ice time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad