LD Jayden Struble (2019, 46th, MTL)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
surprised this hasn't been discussed much- absolutely huge for Struble and Northeastern..

brings him 2 full steps up this year instead of at the BCHL...Montreal fans this should be very exciting news for you all..

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
surprised this hasn't been discussed much- absolutely huge for Struble and Northeastern..

brings him 2 full steps up this year instead of at the BCHL...Montreal fans this should be very exciting news for you all..

as at top 1/2 round pick expectations is that you end up in college hockey in D+1

not big deal sorry

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Yeah not a very big deal. It would have been a horrible decision on his end to play in the BCHL. If he didn't get admitted to Northeastern than you better believe Montreal would have told him to go to the Q.

Should be an interesting one to follow though. That's a big step from Prep to NCAA

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This guy will be a #1 defenseman in the NHL one day, mark my words.

Wow that's quite the statement and the Habs sure need one of their prospects to develop into such a player.

I'm wondering if he is on the radar for the US WJC team?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Wow that's quite the statement and the Habs sure need one of their prospects to develop into such a player.

Probably more likely for next year's WJC team, although I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a look at this year's upcoming WJC camp. He was supposed to be at summer camp but missed it due to injury.

The struggle for him is Team USA is stacked with left-handed defensemen. He's competing with Miller, Samuelsson, York, Jones, Harris, and Johnson at minimum and those guys are all either locks or had great WJSS showings. A couple of those guys are possible to play on the right side (i.e. Johnson and Harris), which opens things up a bit, but it's still deep sledding when you start to factor in the next tier of LHD with guys like Struble, Stastney, Krygier, etc.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Probably more likely for next year's WJC team, although I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a look at this year's upcoming WJC camp. He was supposed to be at summer camp but missed it due to injury.

The struggle for him is Team USA is stacked with left-handed defensemen. He's competing with Miller, Samuelsson, York, Jones, Harris, and Johnson at minimum and those guys are all either locks or had great WJSS showings. A couple of those guys are possible to play on the right side (i.e. Johnson and Harris), which opens things up a bit, but it's still deep sledding when you start to factor in the next tier of LHD with guys like Struble, Stastney, Krygier, etc.
Very difficult group.. could see his physical maturity being a big plus but that's a tough group to crack

Reactions: William H Bonney

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I'm not super familiar with him as view him as a bit of a project but do you think he has a reasonable ceiling as a #1 NHL Dman or is as a solid top 4 PP guy more reasonable?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'm not super familiar with him as view him as a bit of a project but do you think he has a reasonable ceiling as a #1 NHL Dman or is as a solid top 4 PP guy more reasonable?

I'm not really a huge prognosticator when it comes to eventual NHL roles for prospects. I've certainly done it before, but I think it's a largely meaningless exercise. It can be fun no doubt, but it doesn't really matter.

I haven't seen a ton of him, but from what I've seen he's a raw prospect with intriguing physical tools, basically in line with his scouting reports. This is also the first season where he's playing hockey at a level where he can't just overwhelm the opposition with his physical gifts, so it's important to give him time as well. He's adapted well thus far in my opinion, but it's early and he's on a pretty good team too. He was originally slated to play in the BCHL this year too, which would have been disastrous in hindsight as he's proven he was ready for the NCAA and he would have probably dominated the BCHL with ease.

As a prospect, I think he looks to be great value at where he was drafted, but I'd check in after his first 2 years at Northeastern before getting too excited. Should be a lot more beta against quality competition at that point to gauge his upside as he'll have had 2 seasons of NCAA hockey, a few NCAA tournaments at minimum (Beanpot, Hockey East championships, NCAA tournament), and the possibility of a WJC (chances aren't high this year but should be next year).

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Ceiling as a #1 Dman? We need to see a lot more before we can do that kind of projection. I like him but the league is the league.. it will be good if he can crack an NHL top 4 and I think that is certainly possible. As WHB noted the NCAA doesn't seem to have hurt him this year but I think the BCHL would have been nice for him to actually have a shot at being a #1 guy in a decent league for a year. You can't be a #1 ever if you've never been that at a decent level before. As far as being #1 in the NHL the only aspect that I think is projectable there is that he is an athlete who seems to compete. The rest still has to come a long way

Reactions: wetcoast

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

radar yes but he wouldn't make it over his teammate at Northeastern as Harris has been much better this year. I hope Struble makes the team next year.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Struble just got his first multi points game with 1 goal + 2 assists.

He now have 9 points (3g + 6a) in his last 8 games, and a total of 9 points in 17 games this season... let's say there's a big difference between the last 9 games and the first 8.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He certainly had the best game i've seen from him so far this year, he's been given a bigger role as at times he's paired with Harris. Just needs to learn to pick his spots better as he can get caught going for that big hit and needs to tighten up defensively. But it's going to be very interesting to see how much he can progress in the next 2 years.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Struble with another two points today giving him 4 points in his first 3 games along with his usual physical play.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
One thing I think he can work on are his passes. Doesn't always connect with guys. There were a couple of "1st passes" out of the zone that weren't super accurate.. just enough off to create a smooth breakout.

That said, one time he made a great 1st pass from his d zone to the neutral zone that would have led to an offensive entry, but the F didn't handle it cleanly.

Reactions: Gravity

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Struble with a 3 point weekend. This gives him 7 points in his first 6 games this season. If he can stay healthy, he can be a real difference maker. He's the type of player that would have been very useful on the American WJC team. One thing is for sure, you want to keep your head up when you're on the ice at the same time as him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad