LD Jake McCabe (2012, 44th overall, Buffalo)

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Not a lot of chatter for Jake McCabe going on as it pertains to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, it seems. We like what we've seen of him at had him at 55 in our Midterm Guide. He's getting excellent guidance out of a pair of teammates in John Ramage and Justin Schultz, too.

“I have gained a lot of confidence playing with Schultz and just seeing how poised he is with the puck,†said McCabe, who still plays with Schultz on the team’s top power play unit. “Ramage is more of a defensive guy which is something I need to focus on and be able to shut down a team’s top line is something we work on.â€

http://futureconsiderations.ca/mccabe-a-student-at-wisconsin/

So why no buzz about McCabe (other than his freak injury earlier this season)?

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
Ditto. I was impressed watching him against Minnesota last weekend. For a draft-eligible player, McCabe has the maturity and body of a player a few years older.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
OT but curious: Any relation to Brian?

No.

I also really like McCabe. Should Justin Schultz decide to turn pro after this season (which is looking more and more likely, but anything is possible), he'll get a increased role on the Badgers team next season. He and Simonelli are the Badgers' two top returning defensemen that can put up the points heading into next season.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Not a lot of chatter for Jake McCabe going on as it pertains to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, it seems. We like what we've seen of him at had him at 55 in our Midterm Guide. He's getting excellent guidance out of a pair of teammates in John Ramage and Justin Schultz, too.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/mccabe-a-student-at-wisconsin/

So why no buzz about McCabe (other than his freak injury earlier this season)?

NCAA players deeper in the draft usually don't get much buzz. Sad but true.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he will be a great pickup in the second round for someone. he doesnt get buzz as most college kids dont get much buzz in their draft year. he has some great players that have helped his progression at Wisconsin and should take a bigger role on the blueline next year.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
Showed *some* puck rushing ability at the end of the season. Kid is so poised and mobile, some team thinking there could be more offense could take him late 1st.

Even if the offense doesn't come you still got a rock solid 2nd pairing guy.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
anyone know whether he's going back to wisconsin next year?

also, what do people who have followed him think of him and his potential? i haven't seen much of him, tbh...but was really impressed with him at wjc.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
anyone know whether he's going back to wisconsin next year?
He is at least planning to as of now .. was named an 'A' for the 2013-14 season .. the D&C speculated after his elimination that he wants to finish his eligibility .. and you never know, a solid summer camp and/or Traverse City tourney could sway him to forgo his eligibility.

also, what do people who have followed him think of him and his potential? i haven't seen much of him, tbh...but was really impressed with him at wjc.
Top-4 LD who gets the shut-down TOI .. solid blend of PMD, skating and strength .. great leader (WJC 'C' and, per Eaves, he's like "a coach on the ice"), captain material.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
He is at least planning to as of now .. was named an 'A' for the 2013-14 season .. the D&C speculated after his elimination that he wants to finish his eligibility .. and you never know, a solid summer camp and/or Traverse City tourney could sway him to forgo his eligibility.

Top-4 LD who gets the shut-down TOI .. solid blend of PMD, skating and strength .. great leader (WJC 'C' and, per Eaves, he's like "a coach on the ice"), captain material.

How does he compare to Scott Harrington (london knights/pens prospect).

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
How does he compare to Scott Harrington (london knights/pens prospect).
I'd rank McCabe ahead of Harrington. In McCabe, I see more of a balanced, two-way defenseman with more offense, grit and strength upside, despite some defensive errs at Wisconsin. Meanwhile, Harrington seems more of a straight-up defensive defenseman, using his awareness, stick and body to break-up attacks and block shots and then make quick outlets.

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
so, back to wisconsin must be 100% confirmed at this point, no?

o/t anyone know if Trocheck's going to be in the ahl next year? sorry, there's no prospect thread and i didn't see anything on the pans' board.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
so, back to wisconsin must be 100% confirmed at this point, no?

o/t anyone know if Trocheck's going to be in the ahl next year? sorry, there's no prospect thread and i didn't see anything on the pans' board.

Yeah, he's playing his junior year. If he continues to progress like last season, I think Buffalo will probably try to sign him away from finishing out, though I got the feeling from McCabe that he really wanted to get his degree to fall back on if pro hockey doesn't pan out (or for whenever his career in it is over).

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The Sabres signed McCabe to a 3-year ELC today. He'll travel with the team to St. Louis.

That's a bummer, but it is what it is with great players.

mccabe.gif

Good luck! :handclap:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm a huuuuuge fan of McCabe. This doesn't shock me one bit. It'll be good for him to get a few games in at the NHL level and then have the summer to reflect on it and work to iron out his wrinkles. He's that kind of player that could benefit a lot from that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad