LD Jacob Moverare - HV71, SWE JR (2016, 112th, LAK)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I saw that he made the ISS top 30 for May, but did not see a thread on him anywhere.

Does anyone have a breakdown/analysis of his game? Thanks.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
I thought he looked pretty good for Sweden in the WJC18. I thought he stood out a little bit, so i'm not surprised that he's climbing the rankings after that tournament. 1st round seems like a reach though.

Haven't really seen much of him apart from that though. A big, pretty mobile defenseman with some offensive upside.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Found this, but not a ton of info on the kid.

http://thehockeywriters.com/jacob-moverare-the-next-ones-nhl-2016-draft-prospect-profile/

The thing that stands out the most to me when evaluating Moverare is his intriguing combination of size, skill and mobility. He is not only very mobile on his skates, he is also possessing smooth hands and can stick-handle the puck very well. He is a calm puck carrier and can move the puck smoothly and often uses a toe-drag to buy himself time when under pressure by fore-checkers. Moverare is a decent three-zone-player as he works efficient at both ends of the ice and can be used in both special team units.

Especially on the powerplay, Moverare is a dangerous shooter from the blue line. He possesses a powerful shot from the point and uses all of his shot arsenal. He shows good timing when he uses his heavy shot and is excellent on one-timers.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Whoever wrote that has probably never seen him play. Moverare will have to work a lot on his skating to be called mobile, it's his biggest weakness. The rest of his game is pretty good.

What's his defense like? Does he have a high IQ in that area? How does he compare to Cederholm (I assume you have seen both) in overall Dzone play and skating (apparently Cederholm is "mobile" as well, but I'm just reading limited scouting reports)?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
What's his defense like? Does he have a high IQ in that area? How does he compare to Cederholm (I assume you have seen both) in overall Dzone play and skating (apparently Cederholm is "mobile" as well, but I'm just reading limited scouting reports)?

Moverare is more offensive minded than Cederholm but still good in his own end. He also has the IQ and a good breakout pass. Skating is really the only issue in his game but it holds him back quite a bit. He also has a lot of room to grow physically.

Cederholm is the prototypical stay at home D. He sometimes tries to rush the puck up the ice but it usually leads to nothing. His skating is good for a big guy but not elite. He's really good along the boards and is good at keeping forwards to the outside, he plays the body really well. A good comparable would be Niklas Grossman.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Whoever wrote that has probably never seen him play. Moverare will have to work a lot on his skating to be called mobile, it's his biggest weakness. The rest of his game is pretty good.

If you're using mobile in a general sense, you are right. Moverare is a very weak linear skater, lacks leg strength and power. Even his acceleration is affected negatively.

However, his mobility in a specific sense is indeed a strength of his. His footwork is fantastic for a kid who has those other weaknesses mentioned.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

If you're using mobile in a general sense, you are right. Moverare is a very weak linear skater, lacks leg strength and power. Even his acceleration is affected negatively.

However, his mobility in a specific sense is indeed a strength of his. His footwork is fantastic for a kid who has those other weaknesses mentioned.

What Anthony said. When I first saw Moverare in the Hlinka Memorial early in the season I was surprised with how good his mobility was. His skating (as in acceleration and top end speed) needs improvement for sure but his lateral/four-way mobility is surpisingly good and that makes him a very good defender around the net. If he didn't have that mobility I would not be nearly as high on him as I am.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
How high is he expected to go? Was interested as a Leaf fan and wondered if he'd be available in the 3rd - ideally around our NJD pick.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
How high is he expected to go? Was interested as a Leaf fan and wondered if he'd be available in the 3rd - ideally around our NJD pick.

I think he'll go fairly high. Maybe not in the first round as ISS have him but a smart do it all D like him will probably not make it out of 2nd, especially given how rewarded teams have been picking those types of d-men from Sweden and Finland.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think he'll go fairly high. Maybe not in the first round as ISS have him but a smart do it all D like him will probably not make it out of 2nd, especially given how rewarded teams have been picking those types of d-men from Sweden and Finland.

I guess so, he doesn't get much fanfare around here so figured I'd see if I was missing something.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Still remember when he and Adam Thilander were supposed to be the next great Swedish defenceman.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Since we're here, what do we think of Moverare and his play this season? Seems to be trending up.
Correct.

LA fans are pretty hopeful he will turn into a very good bottom pairing defenseman.

His skating and agility has improved drastically. Labeled as a stay at home defenseman and suddenly he is moving the puck in the SHL.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Congrats on the callup!

For what it's worth, this isn't a 'regular' callup--I'm assuming there's one more announcement to come (injury/protocol) but the Kings lined up the other night with

Wolanin/Anderson
Maatta/Roy
Bjornfot/Durzi
with Drew Doughty on protocol, Edler out with long term injury, Walker out for season. Keep in mind they recently waived Clague so Ontario is hurting for bodies with this move but the Kings have two more east coast games and with things pretty wild day-to-day it makes sense to protect the big club.

I could see them rewarding Moverare with a game as he's been our best all-around dman with the Reign for a couple of years now (Durzi of course was the offensive force), but with four roughly similar guys in the lineup coming off 3 of 4 points in Florida and Maatta probably playing his best hockey in a Kings sweater (ugh) it would probably be a tall order to line him up vs. the Canes or Caps (though his size would be nice even if he's not a bruiser).

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Moverare debut tonight!

Excited for him...he's def. earned it. Doesn't get a lot of fanfare but as steady as steady can be. Maatta's skating is head and shoudlers better though and that's really Moverare's weakness, we'll see how he does in a game with better flow and higher speed---his IQ will pay dividends but people attacking him w/speed is gonna be the challenge. Go kid!

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't know if LA will have a permanent spot for him--but I really like Moverare's game. Smart, always in position, heady passes, no panic.

Should at LEAST be a #7 guy, he's the 'safety' valve every team would need imo. I think of when the Kings picked up Jeff Schultz in 2014--pick up a guy who might not help you immensely, but definitely won't hurt you. That's Moverare's game so far.

I could see him developing a little more as well with more icetime in the NHL, but I do think his upside is limited by skating/speed. But the IQ on this guy is something else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad