LD Jacob Larsson - Frölunda HC, SHL (2015, 27th, ANA)

LG18

May 10, 2013
Montreal
Any info on this guy? Has good size, respectable stats and saw him in the first round of a mock draft. Sweden has produced a lot of quality defensemen over the years. I'm intrigued.

Inb4 :wings will draft him.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Has moved ahead of Kylington for me. I see him in the second tier of defensemen behind Hanifin/Werenski/Provorov, frankly I might end up liking him better than Chabot and Zboril even.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Damn, why did you have to show him to the masses. He is (was?) a well kept secret !! The leafs need to be all over him with the Nash pick

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Best d-men from europe? I do not know about that, but he should not go past 2th round at least.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Bump.. what's his upside from someone who has seen him play? From what I've read he could be a good fit for Montreal at 26

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The modern-day stay-at-home rearguard must grasp the idea that if he’s spending too much time “staying at homeâ€, then he’s as big a part of the problem than anyone else playing alongside him. Swedish defenseman Jacob Larsson is part of the next generation of blueliners who understand this quite well. A gifted and patient puck distributor, Larsson has shown time and again that he has the brain and skills to limit the amount of time both he and his teammates spend chasing and covering opponents within the wrong side of the ice. Larsson is by no means averse to making the wrong choice during extended zone time. Things happen that are out of his control. It’s what he does during those cycles and board battles – sealing off, actively using his stick to interdict passes and shots – which places him in the upper echelon of teenage defensemen.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/jacob-larsson/

Woodlief and a bunch of others went ballistic on Sweden's defensemen because of the international tournaments. I call BS. Sure, they were bland and vanilla those tournaments, but that doesn't mean they won't develop into top-2 caliber defensemen.

All of them -- The Carlssons, Kylington, Lindgren and Larsson -- have a nose for moving the puck. It's not 2002. You need guys who can do more than defend. You need the type who sneaks up on the play and makes tape-to-tape passes.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
QUOTE:The modern-day stay-at-home rearguard must grasp the idea that if he’s spending too much time “staying at homeâ€, then he’s as big a part of the problem than anyone else playing alongside him. Swedish defenseman Jacob Larsson is part of the next generation of blueliners who understand this quite well. A gifted and patient puck distributor, Larsson has shown time and again that he has the brain and skills to limit the amount of time both he and his teammates spend chasing and covering opponents within the wrong side of the ice. Larsson is by no means averse to making the wrong choice during extended zone time. Things happen that are out of his control. It’s what he does during those cycles and board battles – sealing off, actively using his stick to interdict passes and shots – which places him in the upper echelon of teenage defensemen.

Woodlief and a bunch of others went ballistic on Sweden's defensemen because of the international tournaments. I call BS. Sure, they were bland and vanilla those tournaments, but that doesn't mean they won't develop into top-2 caliber defensemen.

All of them -- The Carlssons, Kylington, Lindgren and Larsson -- have a nose for moving the puck. It's not 2002. You need guys who can do more than defend. You need the type who sneaks up on the play and makes tape-to-tape passes.

Good little writeup on Larsson there. Think that really captures what he projects as for me quite well. "New Age" shutdown defenceman sort of thing, whose strength is in savvy positioning, and moving the puck efficiently up ice. Really liked what i've seen of Larsson, reminds me a bit of Chris Tanev with that poise and composure on the back end.

That seems to be the "type" of defenceman he projects as..."shutdown defender - with puck moving skills and a great outlet pass". Though i think Larsson is starting from a point of a bit more offensive confidence relative to a guy like Tanev, probably a bit more point producing upside there in time. But as a whole, i think that's the sort of guy i'd be hoping Larsson can become. Complementary #2, or a steadying #3 type anchor on that 2nd pairing for a team as an "upside". Which is very respectable considering the range he's generally projected to go in.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
So, is he a 1st rounder? Where do people see him going, realistically speaking.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

And we've since learned that the players turned against the national team coach, who has also been "replaced" heading into next season. Those teams underperformed greatly, and not just individuals.

I like Larsson a lot. From what I've seen he's struck me as the most complete package out of this year's D group. Modern day stay-at-home feels apt to describe him, though I would just label him two-way because he's not afraid to rush the puck either.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
And we've since learned that the players turned against the national team coach, who has also been "replaced" heading into next season. Those teams underperformed greatly, and not just individuals.

I like Larsson a lot. From what I've seen he's struck me as the most complete package out of this year's D group. Modern day stay-at-home feels apt to describe him, though I would just label him two-way because he's not afraid to rush the puck either.

Exactly. Teams just need to be patient with them and allow them to develop.

I think what hurt Rundblad and Erixon was the constant moving around. I really like what the Devils did with Adam Larsson (recently) in that they didn't give up on him. I think he's going to break out shortly.

I am a huge fan of the Swedish dmen.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

He he stylistically like Brodin?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad