LD Haydn Fleury (2014, 7th, CAR)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Man who is this kid? He was born in Aug '96 and already is 6'3" and 204 lbs, but what surprised me was his skating ability and vision for 16 year old. Had fantastic puckmoving abilites that really countered the opposing teams forecheck. Looked just like a combination of Morrow and Pouliot during their rookie years. Don't know how much offensive talent he has, but definitely a kid to watch for in the 2014 (I think). The last rookie to impress me this much was Rankin, Shinkaruk, and Theodore.

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Watched him last night, will see him live tonight. Kid sure is a smooth skater. Made some bonehead plays with the puck last night, though...just careless while carrying it.

And wow, didn't think he was that big.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Haydn Fleury

16 year old who plays for Red Deer. Saw him for the first time last night, and man, he's a beast for a 16 year old. He can skate and handle the puck for a big guy, get's lots of ice time. Not sure how much offence he can develop, but at the moment he looks like some sort of a McGrath/Siemens clone, but bigger. One to keep an eye on.
http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/9136

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This kid has gotten a lot (and I mean a lot) better since I have made this thread.

He is playing with confidence now, but still questions regarding his offensive game, probably will have to wait until next year.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Definitely feel that he'll get 1st round consideration next season.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Fleury and Conner Bleackley have both been playing excellent thus far in this young season.

Fleury is being a huge minute-eater with Dumba still in Minnesota. So smooth and so smart, excellent hockey sense and mobility and he's showing some good offensive instincts jumping in for rushes. Very, very impressed.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Why did I have to go 12 pages to find discussion on him?!

Thus far, this year, he's been my favourite defenceman to watch out of the CHL. Extraordinary skating that he often displays on end-to-end rushes which one would think would leave his team susceptible to odd-man rushes, except he's so good and so smart that he usually gets back before his opponents anyway. Add in his size, smarts and a bit of a physical snarl, and why isn't there more talk about this guy, is it that no one is seeing him from outside Western Canada?!

Craig Button, Bob McKenzie, Kyle Woodlief and ISS all have him inside the Top 11 in their most recent rankings. The way he's playing now I wouldn't be shocked to see him Top 5, Top 3, even a candidate for the top spot. He reminds me a lot of a more offensively-gifted Jay Bouwmeester right now.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
He is an elite defenseman, but he is by no means perfect. But the way this draft is shaping up I wouldn't be surprised to see him go as high as #5.

Fearless rusher of the puck. Rare attribute for a guy his size. Made possible by his skating ability which is fantastic. Can turn it up very quickly and has good agility. I find he isn't able to do enough once he does rush the puck to put up a ton of points. Obviously he is still learning, but too often takes it wide and throws it randomly in front of the net.

Physical at times on his own zone. Good defender all-around because of his athleticism, but will have to improve a bit in his d-zone awareness. Not bad, but has room to grow.

His hockey sense isn't perfect, which is likely why he isn't rated as highly as some would expect. Turns it over on occasion and over commits to plays defensively. Has a great knack for getting pucks through. From what I have heard about Ekblad there is a gap between them, but who knows.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
He is an elite defenseman, but he is by no means perfect. But the way this draft is shaping up I wouldn't be surprised to see him go as high as #5.

Fearless rusher of the puck. Rare attribute for a guy his size. Made possible by his skating ability which is fantastic. Can turn it up very quickly and has good agility. I find he isn't able to do enough once he does rush the puck to put up a ton of points. Obviously he is still learning, but too often takes it wide and throws it randomly in front of the net.

Physical at times on his own zone. Good defender all-around because of his athleticism, but will have to improve a bit in his d-zone awareness. Not bad, but has room to grow.

His hockey sense isn't perfect, which is likely why he isn't rated as highly as some would expect. Turns it over on occasion and over commits to plays defensively. Has a great knack for getting pucks through. From what I have heard about Ekblad there is a gap between them, but who knows.

zjh, always appreciate your posts. Good to find actual insight on here. A quick question:

What do you mean by "by the way this draft is shaping up"? Is there something about it (which is different from years past) that would vault him into top 5 discussion?

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
zjh, always appreciate your posts. Good to find actual insight on here. A quick question:

What do you mean by "by the way this draft is shaping up"? Is there something about it (which is different from years past) that would vault him into top 5 discussion?

Blurred lines. And I am not talking about the summer smash hit.

Everyone likes certain prospects, but I think the differences in tiers are going to swing drastically between teams. Usually there is a main consensus at the top, then following tiers are a lot different. But I think it is so wide open this year that the top tier will be larger than in years past.

He's a big defenseman that can skate. He's getting a lot of attention from scouts. Kid will play. Have him at #3 in the WHL but closing the gap on Leon and Sam. Looking forward to seeing him next Tuesday.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon

Everyone likes certain prospects, but I think the differences in tiers are going to swing drastically between teams. Usually there is a main consensus at the top, then following tiers are a lot different. But I think it is so wide open this year that the top tier will be larger than in years past.

He's a big defenseman that can skate. He's getting a lot of attention from scouts. Kid will play. Have him at #3 in the WHL but closing the gap on Leon and Sam. Looking forward to seeing him next Tuesday.

Makes sense. There definitely seems to be less of a consensus this year with respect to the top tier. Still haven't taken the opportunity to watch him live yet, but hopefully I can get 2-3 in before June.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com

This is very accurate and a perfect scenario for Sam Reinhart/Aaron Ekblad.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com

Fleury's hockey sense is rapidly improving. It is one of his scouted strengths now - he routinely makes small, crafty plays to stop opposing pressure in his own zone and start a breakout. Like you said, he is a fearless puck rusher who needs finish plays better in order to boost himself into the top tier or else he will just end up being a projection. His prospect potential is extremely high.

Ekblad is a mysterious prospect. His recent play at the Super Series has thrown a wrench in our overall view of Ekblad in a positive way for AE. He looked like a veteran, drafted CHL'er in the Super Series. Presumably, less erratic play from more talented players puts Ekblad in a prime position where he does not have to cover teammates gaffes - something that he is not explosive enough to do. This is something that has somewhat compromised his defensive play for Barrie. He looked extremely poised, and in the offensive zone looked his masterful self.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Unfortunately don't get to see much WHL, and Red Deer has been rare. But Fleury has looked very confident and solid when I have watched. I think Bouwmeester a bit.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Any updates on this kid?

Carrying the puck with so much confidence, unbelievable skater for his size after watching him fourty times, I am still in awwwe.

Good in every aspect, isn't strong or weak in a particular one except skating, 5/5 on that.

Has a good shot, good vision, good passing, good IQ, seems like he will definitely be a two-way top 4 defenseman in the NHL with the potential to be more than that!

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Carrying the puck with so much confidence, unbelievable skater for his size after watching him fourty times, I am still in awwwe.

Good in every aspect, isn't strong or weak in a particular one except skating, 5/5 on that.

Has a good shot, good vision, good passing, good IQ, seems like he will definitely be a two-way top 4 defenseman in the NHL with the potential to be more than that!

Thanks for the reports. How is his physicality and toughness?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Thanks for the reports. How is his physicality and toughness?

His physicality game is still very confusing to me. Some games he is tough and physical while others he is sort of passive. I don't think he will ever have a mean streak like Weber, but he's not weak with the puck or in the defensive corners by any means.

dawgweed

Aug 16, 2008

Agree with most of this post except the skating. He finished far down in the prospects skating evaluations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad