LD Griffin Reinhart (2012, 4th, NYI; traded to EDM) II

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
It recently came to my attention that the 2015 draft day trade that sent Griffen Reinhart to the Oilers in exchange for their 1st and 2nd round picks could have ended up being Kyle Connor and Sebastien Aho. As it occured, the Islanders selected Matthew Barzal and Mitchell Stephens, both great prospects in their own right, but it just strikes me that regardless of who the Oilers would have hypothetically selected this trade was absolutely terrible. While we can't know at this point how well any of these players will develop, Reinhart looks like a career AHLer at this point while the Oilers missed a great chance to surround McDavid with more great young talent.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Only ongoing thing about this is could be Barzal vs. Connor debate as they are both doing great. Everything else has been said already.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Definitely wasn't a good move even at the time. If they wanted a young LH defenceman, then they should have just kept Marincin.

A lot of people around the Oilers say this was a Bob Green move though. He was the former Oil Kings' GM and pushed for the trade. Considering how high this team is/was on Oil King alumni (Abney, Moroz, Ewanyk, Brossoit, Musil, Reinhart have all been through the system the last couple years), it's not a surprise that they'd push to get him.

Though at the same time everyone in this trade is still extremely young, and Reinhart was fine at the NHL level last year. People are taking how with hindsight the Kassian/Hodgson trade was much to do about nothing, perhaps this story also takes a random left turn at some point too.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
it was terrible then and even more terrible now

but no need to keep discussing it

This.

With that said, the Isles prospects haven't proven a darn thing yet and maybe Reinhart will figure it out one day but as of now, it looks like a waste of good assets. Disliked the move at the time, dislike it even more now but it is what it is, no need to rehash it a million times like it has been on HF the last week or so.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
And even that likely has very little relevance as it was rumoured that Edmonton had the most interest in Svechnikov and Joel Eriksson Ek.

Purely speculating here but wasn't it so just because they weren't expecting Barzal or Connor to be available at that spot? Boston picked guys projected to go in the 2nd round.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
It recently came to my attention that the 2015 draft day trade that sent Griffen Reinhart to the Oilers in exchange for their 1st and 2nd round picks could have ended up being Kyle Connor and Sebastien Aho. As it occured, the Islanders selected Matthew Barzal and Mitchell Stephens, both great prospects in their own right, but it just strikes me that regardless of who the Oilers would have hypothetically selected this trade was absolutely terrible. While we can't know at this point how well any of these players will develop, Reinhart looks like a career AHLer at this point while the Oilers missed a great chance to surround McDavid with more great young talent.

Man have you been living under a rock???

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
This.

With that said, the Isles prospects haven't proven a darn thing yet and maybe Reinhart will figure it out one day but as of now, it looks like a waste of good assets. Disliked the move at the time, dislike it even more now but it is what it is, no need to rehash it a million times like it has been on HF the last week or so.

LOL do you say this on the countless posts about how Boston passed over Connor and Barzal?

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Reinhart is so bad, the trade was awful back then and still is.

NYI killed that draft imo, Barzal + Beauvillier both guys that I wanted.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Didn't the guy that pushed for Reinhart on the Islanders also recommend Reinhart to the Oilers? Not too head scratching if that is the case.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Purely speculating here but wasn't it so just because they weren't expecting Barzal or Connor to be available at that spot? Boston picked guys projected to go in the 2nd round.

Nope don't think so. If they thought so highly of either of those prospects they would have just selected one of them rather than trading the pick when they were on the clock. It was rumoured for a while that Svechnikov was their guy at 16 if they kept the pick, and that they were also high on Eriksson Ek if Svechnikov was gone.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah not a great trade, Chia has taken a few gambles this one didn't pay off.

He made good deals getting Talbot and Maroon. He's actively trying to build a better roster around McDavid, overall I'm happy with Chia. He's brought a vision and he's making our roster better I think.

But yeah, Griffin was a gamble that hasn't paid off for sure. I also think it's way too early to write Griffin off completely, he's hardly the first young Dman to struggle. He's got enough hockey IQ that he can be a serviceable #5/6 if he takes some time to improve his skating and diligently works at it. He needs a few years in the AHL.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Should be noted as well, no one involved in the trade has proven anything so it's a little premature to call it a debacle.

Also, Reinhart is 22. I wasn't aware he was never going to get better than he is right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Hated the trade then and still hate it now.

So what have we learnt? Isles make TERRIBLE picks in the top-5 (except for Tavares) so avoid them like the plague :)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That thread was about how incredibly slow he is. This one is about how awful the trade was.

The question is, should there be a third one for unfavourably comparing him to his draft class?

Yeah, but what will we do for the 4th? Maybe something around who is the worst amongst the Reinhart and Strome brothers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad