LD Ethan Del Mastro - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2021, 105th, CHI)

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Was reading @Brock 's final OHL rankings story yesterday and then some recaps of his play at the WJC U18 tournament.

Seems like he would be a good fit for NJ either with their second first-round pick or with their own second round pick if he slides that far.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I watched him a lot at the U18s, was extremely impressed. Easily Canada's 2nd best defenseman in my opinion. I have him as a late 1st right now, but I highly doubt he goes that high. As the post above said, I would love for my Devils to draft this guy with our 2nd if he ends up sliding because of a lack of exposure.

Dmitry Kulikov was a legitimate top 4 defender for NJ this year. Looked awesome. Watching del Mastro, he plays very similar to the way Kulikov played this past season. If all goes well, I could see him as a better version of the Kulikov of this year, which would no doubt be a real great #3 defender

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I only watched him at the u18s, I would assume after that hes a fairly big riser. A modern day shut down guy, physical can skate and can make an outlet pass cleanly. Not sure at all about his offense so I wouldnt have him in the first round but anytime 2nd round or later I think hes fair game.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Does he have any offense at all? Seems like the type of guy that gets overrated in the draft based on size and skating.

What's his realistic upside?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Does he have any offense at all? Seems like the type of guy that gets overrated in the draft based on size and skating.

Later in his rookie OHL season, Del Mastro had begun to become fairly assertive offensively, making cleaner exits, taking chances by leading the attack, and looking to create shooting lanes for himself in the offensive zone. Had he played a full year, I think we would have seen that grow more. At the U18's, we saw flashes of that, but he mostly played a refined and conservative offensive game.

Realistically, I do think he has some offensive upside. Maybe a Jake Muzzin type on the second pairing. Not someone who QB's a powerplay, but who as enough skill to play a little further up in the lineup.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

From clips and scouting.... sounds like Cernak/Bogosian type D

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted in the first round, 12th overall, by the Mississauga Steelheads in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection Draft, defenceman Ethan Del Mastro has not put up big numbers to this point in his junior hockey career. A big part of that is the fact he did not get big minutes and was not used in offensive situations as a 16-year-old rookie. He put up seven assists in 57 OHL games. Del Mastro also made Team Canada Black at the Under-17 World Hockey Championships. He was held scoreless in five tournament games.

Ethan Del Mastro did not get the chance to put up offensive numbers in the OHL in 2020-21 as the league’s entire season was cancelled due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Unlike some of his fellow top prospects, Del Mastro did not go overseas to play. He also played for Team Canada for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships in Plano, Texas. Del Mastro picked up two assists in seven tournament games. He also helped Canada to the gold medal. His older brother Liam Del Mastro, 20, plays junior hockey with the Brampton Admirals in the OJHL.

2021 NHL Draft #61: Ethan Del Mastro Scouting Report

JoshTessler

Jun 18, 2020
Paul Zuk from my team at Smaht Scouting wrote this report on Del Mastro. Check it out. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to him.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
5AFC37C2-5064-4552-98DB-553F3DFAA70C.jpeg

Reactions: AmericanDream

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I'd be pretty excited about Del Mastro if I were a Hawks fan. His rock-solid defensive game has always been his calling card, but he's broken out offensively this year as well.

He was the guy I felt may have been worth reaching for in the 1st round, not Nolan Allan.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I'd be pretty excited about Del Mastro if I were a Hawks fan. His rock-solid defensive game has always been his calling card, but he's broken out offensively this year as well.

He was the guy I felt may have been worth reaching for in the 1st round, not Nolan Allan.
Our board seems to be very excited.
Allan was a reach no doubt.

Reactions: Muffinalt

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

We will take anything at this point lol...

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
9 points already (2+7) in first 6 games
1.50 ppg with 15 penalty minutes, is +2.

1st in d-men apg
1st in d-men pp assists
2nd in d-men ppg
2nd in d-men assists
3rd in d-men points
6th in d-men pim

Pace for

23+82=105 +23 / 170 penalty minutes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad