LD Dylan Samberg - Univ. of Minnesota-Duluth, NCAA (2017, 43rd, WPG)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Seeing this kid's named floated as a potential first rounder at the moment. His numbers from this year in the Minn All-Star league (or whatever it is called) seem good, and he seems to have good size. Asking the Minnesota locals (or anyone who follow Minnesota HS hockey) for a low down on this kid. Seeing his name floated around, and knowing the amount of quality NHL defenders drafted out of Minn HS hockey (McDonagh, Gardiner, Leddy, Goligoski and Niskanen) has me intrigued.

Another thing is, it seems he isn't set to start at UM-D til 2018/19 going off Eliteprospects. Is there any talk of him fast tracking or spending next season in the USHL, or even playing in the USHL or even the USA U-18 after the 2016/17 HS season is over?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201527

Reactions: ps241

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
He's a smart player that has a good read on the flow of the game. He also has great NHL size at around 6'3", along with a very good all around skill set. A fairly shutdown defenseman that also has good flashes of offense with his game.

I've watched many very good players go through the Hermantown program and always used to know that we would end up with a solid player at minimum. His size seems to break the common mold from there, which is exciting about him as a potential NHL prospect.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
#44 on BMac's final list - seems like a guy who could go sneaky high. That's top half of the second round and as an average, obviously some teams have him higher. Fits the mold of a raw, toolsy high school guy with limited exposure who a team may be willing to be patient with.

Also, LWA - I think he is enrolling for 17-18 at UMD after Pionk got signed by the Rangers

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Dylan Samberg's coming out party is taking place at the WJHC with Team USA.

Pronman

Dylan Samberg, D, Winnipeg: Samberg had a nice performance defensively on Friday. He made a lot of tough stops, moved the puck OK and provided a little bit of stability on what is currently a thin defensive group for the USA. That coach Bob Motzko used Samberg in overtime showed the confidence his coach has in him from his play here.

Here's what "HockeyProspects.com" had to say about him before his draft year:

Samberg plays a big, strong defensive style. He doesn’t hesitate to step up on players at either blue line
and separate them from the puck. Dylan’s timing and footwork are key to how effective he can be with his physical play. In some instances, especially in front of his own net he can tend to get too focused on the physical play and miss some stick checks and plays on the puck.

Samberg is good at executing breakouts, whether it using his size and reach to skate the puck away from pressure or excellent passing ability to stretch the ice. Dylan displays good patience and vision so he doesn’t have to panic or force many plays. He doesn’t allow himself to get trapped and will settle for the simple 10-15-foot pass to relieve pressure. In the offensive zone Samberg can walk the blue line very well and get shots through to the net. He possesses a heavy slap shot from the point that is fairly accurate and he tries to get in a one-timer position on the Power Play. Samberg can take some risks at the offensive blueline in an effort to keep plays in the zone and will need to improve his decision making with his pinches down the wall.

Samberg’s combination of size, skating, puck moving ability and physicality will make him highly coveted in this year’s draft. With that said, like a lot of young defensive prospects he still needs to improve his decision making and play without the puck. Samberg will be off Minnesota Duluth in 16/17 where he should easily fit into their top 4 on the back end.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He's a beauty. Another gem identified and pushed by the Jets' good US amateur scouts...

Trouba
Copp
Hellebuyck
Connor
Poolman
Roslovic
Foley
Appleton
Samberg

Samberg's trajectory is very promising.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Looks like he could be a good 1. That Jets team is going to be something special very soon if they're not there already.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, I thought he had great raw tools and didn't look out of place (actually excelled in the USHL). He played Tolvanen tough in the USHL playoffs and people I trusted spoke very highly of him.

Great raw tools. The Jets got a very good pick here. I personally had him as a first rounder, but wouldn't have drafted him until the 2nd because of how the draft played out (Kostin would have been my pick from 19-31). If the draft played out differentially, I was fine with either him or PO Joseph as off-the-board picks for the Leafs at 17.

Here are two quotes from around the draft. One was a thread where they said predict future stars taken outside the 1st.

They could easily go late first, but I really like Samberg and PO Joseph tools. They are both very raw but have all the tools to be great top pairing guys.

Another from players you wouldn't be mad if your team reached for.

Dylan Samberg, and to a lesser extent PO Joseph.

He looks like he could be that next very good D to come out of Minnesota high-school hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
kid is real good, amazing considering he was a forward for most of his life...this kid has been asked to play big minutes on defense and step up on offense and take a forward spot with Brown and Lockwood out at times..

very impressive player, the Jets just keep loading up on US talent.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Congratulations to Dylan and the rest of his Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs teammates on their 2018 National Championship.

Reactions: Whileee

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Congratulations to Dylan and the rest of his Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs teammates on their 2018 National Championship.
Samberg got stronger as the season progressed and was rock-solid in the Frozen Four. Very good NHL potential.

Reactions: ps241

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
What a year for Samberg, he was probably the best D man for the USA at the WJC then he wins a national championship all one year out of high school.

Got to watch him a few times at Hermantown and really liked his game but I didn't expect him to hit the ground running like this.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Reminds me a lot of Edmundson. If he can continue to develop physically he could end up as a top4 physical shutdown kind of guy who's not an absolute lost cause w/ the puck

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
what a year for him - but just get ready for it - BUT, LOOK AT HIS STATS!!! LOL...

the Jets will easily be my second favorite team after the Hawks if they keep drafting kids like Connor, Roslovic, Samberg....and don't sleep on Appleton, 6th round GEM of a pick for the Jets, just crazy!!!

Reactions: Daximus

Whileee

May 29, 2010
what a year for him - but just get ready for it - BUT, LOOK AT HIS STATS!!! LOL...

the Jets will easily be my second favorite team after the Hawks if they keep drafting kids like Connor, Roslovic, Samberg....and don't sleep on Appleton, 6th round GEM of a pick for the Jets, just crazy!!!
Jets have been great at drafting US prospects... you can add Trouba, Hellebuyck and the very underrated Copp to the list. Foley was another good one, but they had to give him up to acquire Stastny. They also have C.J. Suess in their system, though he might be a bit more of a longshot.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Please stay in school.

I think you will see him back in school for one more year. Samberg took a massive jump from Hermantown to UMD and although he handled the season well and his progression was great it would be nice to see him take his game to the next level in College.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
was really a beast today.

I'm guessing he played 28-30 mins.
They shortened the bench and was playing every 2nd shift.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad