LD Duncan Siemens (2011, 11th, COL)

Andrew B

Oct 13, 2008
St. Albert
I have yet to see this kid play, but everything I have read shows that he could be a bonafide stud. Slow start seemingly thus far, but has good size.

Who does this guy compare to for you?

What do you like?

What do you hate?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He is a beast, blame and simple.

Very physical and not afraid to drop the mitts. He is the epitome of a team player as well. He sticks up for his teammates in scrums and after big/questionable hits.

He also was voted as an assistant captain of the Blades this year, but when Stefan Elliott returned from Avalanche camp he decided that it was better for the team to give Elliott his A. Very mature on and off the ice.

His offensive game doesn't stand out, but he makes a good first pass and is continuing to grow that part of his game by getting top pairing PP minutes with his partner Elliott.

If his offensive game continues to come around he will be the total package. Almost reminds me a bit of Ed Jovanovski in his younger days.

He will likely be a top ten pick in June's draft.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The Avs could use him as well, so could basically all 30 teams.

He could really get drafted anywhere from around 8-30. Very big toss up, but a very safe pick.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The Official Duncan Siemens thread

I figured it was time I made one of these.

I have now seen him play well over 20 times already this year and he continues to do things to impress.

At 6'3 and over 200 pounds, the most impressive thing about him is his skating ability. He is such a strong and powerful skater. I have seen him chase down players that are known for being "small + fast". It's incredible to see him skate when he gets going into his top gear. His stride reminds me of Chris Pronger. Both very bow-legged skaters in that sense.

His offensive game is still coming along. His decision making is getting better, along with his patience with the puck.

He is a great passer and has a very hard shot. His shot still needs some work to improve his timing and accuracy though.

He plays with a very tough physical edge, is a tough hitter and isn't afraid to drop the gloves with anyone.

Is already considered a big time leader of the Blades organization. He was actually named an assistant captain of the team before deciding to turn that down and instead give it to Stefan Elliott (who had just returned from Avs camp). He is vocal, as well as leading by example.

Overall, I think he is a very well rounded defenseman that would be considered more of a defense-first guy. If I had to compare him to an NHLer, I think a guy like Ed Jovanovski is pretty close. A guy who is a good skater, has some offensive tools, a good shot, good passer and is as tough as nails.

I am still a big supporter of Adam Larsson as a potential first overall pick, but come the draft in June, I honestly would not be surprised at all if Siemens was actually the first defenseman taken.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Bump.

Seriously? This guy still doesn't get enough credit, just like most draft eligible WHLers.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
not to mention he'll be one of the youngest players in the draft, so still plenty of room to develop

I've been high on this kid since last year, he should be a good one

I see him as a Brent Seabrook, Dan Hamhuis, Cody Franson kinda guy. Tough defender, good puck moving guy but not a PP QB. May turn into a Shea Weber as well, who knows.

Bibeen

Jan 1, 2011
Quebec
I never heard his name, where is he playing and can he be a top 10? Is he like the first round pick 2010 of Montreal, Jared Tinordi?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I never heard his name, where is he playing and can he be a top 10? Is he like the first round pick 2010 of Montreal, Jared Tinordi?

He plays for the Saskatoon Blades in the WHL and he will probably be a top 13 pick.

I would say he's a bit better version of Tinordi, but both play the same type of a defensive defenseman. I do think Siemens is better offensively too.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I am kinda disappointed that I have only seen him once live, but thankfully the Blades are in Edmonton 2 more times this year so I should get to see him some more...I loved what I saw the first game and Renegade seems to have similar thoughts of players as I do so I trust all your scouting work :laugh:

If he falls out of the top 10 I will be screaming at my TV and hoping Tambo trades into the 12-15 range and gets this kid to go along with our own pick

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I have Siemens rated number 6 right now on my list... not sure he is considered underrated. I know that CSS is pretty high on him but has him down to 8th in the WHL for some reason. ISS has him ranked 8th total though.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I have Siemens rated number 6 right now on my list... not sure he is considered underrated. I know that CSS is pretty high on him but has him down to 8th in the WHL for some reason. ISS has him ranked 8th total though.

from what I heard the 1st CSS rankings doesn't really indicated what they think of players. It's more of a general list of who's interesting in every league. So, he may jump at the midterm rankings.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
I almost want the Oilers to take this guy over Larsson.

Larsson is more of a two-way threat whereas Siemens is just gonna be a solid effin defenseman. I really like the guy, wouldn't mind if we traded down to get him/Strome if we lose out on top 3 sweepstakes.

I see him ending up as a Seabrook but he could be a Weber.

Would you guys agree Siemens > Hamilton (Dougie)?

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I'll probably get flamed for this, because for some random reason everyone hates him, but based off of your description he sounds like a more polished Dylan McIlrath.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I'll probably get flamed for this, because for some random reason everyone hates him, but based off of your description he sounds like a more polished Dylan McIlrath.

Fair comparison, but it's more like a better skilled, more polished McIlrath.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So let the debate begin....Some like me have never een Siemens play ...Others like me have on the other hand seen Dogie hamilton play a lot of times.. I jst saw Larsson play at the WJHC...No dount Larsson developed ahead of the other two-BUT has he "plateaued" already whereas are Siemens and Hamilton still progressing on an upward arc? I get the sense that is the case...

In any event we will get ONE comparative look at Siemens v. Hamilton in the Top Prospects Game coming up in few weeks this month..One look doesn't make a ranking -but I have to say that nothing I saw from Larsson at the WJHC indicated to me he was that special and my hunch would be to take Hamilton over him because my huncgh is Hamilton is just beginning to show all that he can be...I have as I said not seen Siemens yet -but just going on reports it looks to me that ALL 3 COULD be better picks than any forward except maybe Landeskog in this draft ...Couturier did not impress me enough as that "special" to be a guaranteed impact top points guy in the NHL --true te WJHC is a 19 yr old's stage and rare are the 17 going on 18 yr olds who shine in their first WJHC ---my hunch is that the top 3 D-men are "safer" picks to help teams that draft them..but in what order the 3 d-men will go -well we still have half a season remaing to soert it out ...

My hunch--the forwards at the top of tis draft RNH and Couturier are less than some top drafted forwards from recent previous drafts -but the 3 top D-men Larsson,Hamilton ,Siemens -though in what order I'm not sure-- present better prize value for this draft..If i had to bet though (and I still have not seen Siemens so its a bit of unfair projection) I'd put the money on Hamilton .

I've seen Hamilton lots--and it is hard to believe that either Larsson or Siemens could match him in skating ...If Siemens is also a 'nasty' or a "fighter" that obviously could tip the balance in his favour wuth drafting teams .but HAmilton because of the combo of size speed and intuitive positioning and reads is so efficient in his defense and in ability to get to loose pucks and clear or to esily knock guys off the puck (albeit not looking nasty at it) and yet can join riushes and pass at full speed on attacks that he presents an incedible package that has yet to fully peak --the tool set of size/speed/sense is all there and keeps getting better...

I like Hamilton better as an impact NHL prospect that I do Gudbranson or for that matter any D-men team Canada had at the WJHC --he will solidify the d-corps of ny NHL team that gets him in the draft . He is a "sure-fire' lock to improve the d-corps of the team that drafts him.

Anyway we shall get the 1 comparative look at him and Semens at the Top Prospects game..It should be interesting .

I am so certain about Hamilton that he should actually be a top 2 pick -except for the fact Larsson and Siemens might be thought of better by some scouts who have seen them more than they have Hamilton .BUT IF they are better,I do not mean NOW ,but projected a few years out-and that is always the tough part-- THEN it MEANS that this draft cONTRARY to fitrst thought SHOULD have 3 D-men in the top 4picks amd MAYBE even going 1-2-3...Except for maybe Landeskog I cannot say any of the other forwards deserve that high a ranking . Couturier was no Crosby,no Lemieux,not even Toews...I doubt Landeskog is either ..BUT is Larsson a LIDSTROM (doubt it) but he probably is better than Gudbranson...IS Dougie Hamilton a cross between Larry Robinson and Rob Blake -if so you better grab him quickly...AND Duncan Siemens --what can he be?- merely a "more polished " Dyan Mcilrath ---if that is all then he is not top 3 worthy...BUT if he is Dougie Hamilton but with a 'nasty' -THEN he must go #1 ... So the question is what is the truth about Siemens. I cannot say since I have never seen him . But before those who have chime in --they must have seen him compared to either Larsson or Hamilton--preferably to both.

The Top Prospects Game gives us just a brief comaprison of Siemens v. Hamilton -but I hope we learn something from that view. I do not know if any of Larsson,Siemens or Hamilton will indeed become huge points getters at the NHL level -BUT I do know that Hamilton will help an NHL team's d-corps be a lot better in preventing goals and in moving the puck out of the d-zone -which is why he is such a safe bet. He simply "projects" as a success.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
^ How about you start your own Dougie Hamilton thread, so you can ramble about him there, not here.

But to be honest, the comparison has been there all year, and will continue to be there. To me, the two don't really seem all that similar. It sounds more like Hamilton is known for his offensive-two way play, while Siemens is known for his defensive-two way play.

Hamilton almost sounds more like a Brent Burns kind of guy. That's not really how Siemens plays.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What would say Siemens upside is? Something like a better skilled Regehr? A top pairing D who's has a nasty side?

From what I've read, he sounds like the perfect defenseman to be on our top pairing with Whitney for years to come. It's nice to have some nastiness with Peckham in the line-up, but we've missed a big tough, skilled defenseman on our team for quite some time.

I was hoping the Oilers would somehow be able to swing a deal to get Musil, but now I feel like Siemens is the guy we should be going after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad