LD Derrick Pouliot (2012, 8th overall, Pittsburgh)

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
LD Derrick Pouliot
5' 11.25" | 186
Born: January 16, 1994, Estevan, SK, CAN
Portland Winterhawks, WHL

BDB_8214small5833.jpg

Pages:
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=59741
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=10541
http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/1052

Stats:
PHP:
SEASON.......................TEAM.................GP	G	A	PTS	+/-	PIM
2011-12 Regular Season	Portland Winterhawks	72	11	48	59	15	79
2010-11 Regular Season	Portland Winterhawks	66	5	25	30	13	38
2009-10 Regular Season	Portland Winterhawks	7	0	1	1	0	0

Rankings:
CSS Midterm: 10 | Final: tbd
Bob McKenzie Midterm: 17 | Final: tbd

TSN Grant McCagg:
Selected first overall by the Winter Hawks in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft, he had a regular role as a rookie defenceman last season during Portland's lengthy playoff run. Strengths: One of the draft's better puck-rushing blueliners, likes to join the play and create offence. Has a good stick, good skater, decent puck mover.

Weaknesses: He can play a little too casually, suspect on his puck moving at times when he tries to do too much. An undersized rearguard with little physical presence - a container who will need to add 15-20 pounds of muscle. Can be inconsistent with his decision making.

NHL upside: May be a secondary offensive defenceman who sees some power play time, a No. 3 or No. 4 puck-moving defender.​

DP #51:

DP #26:

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
In a couple of viewings I saw of Pouliot, I saw he has a very good puckmover, but he was somewhat responsible defensively. Great first pass, good first strides and foot speed and a powerplay quaterback.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
Two NHL scouts now have DP in the top 11 as demonstrated by the NHL.com's most recent mock draft. Contrast that with a couple months ago when Bob McKenzie had him at 17 in his midterm poll of NHL scouts.

My biggest complaint with his game was how casual he was. He would make good reads but his sense of urgency was lacking. He's really turned it on in the second half of the season and upped his game early in the playoffs. He's the type of player who's draft stock will benefit from a good post season performance.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
My biggest complaint with his game was how casual he was. He would make good reads but his sense of urgency was lacking. He's really turned it on in the second half of the season and upped his game early in the playoffs. He's the type of player who's draft stock will benefit from a good post season performance.

That was certainly born out in his monthly scoring totals. DP had a huge February:

Month|GP|G|A|Pts|+/-|PIM|PP|SH|FG|GW|IG
SEPTEMBER|4|-|6|6|1|2|-|-|-|-|-
OCTOBER|13|3|3|6|-10|15|2|-|1|-|1
NOVEMBER|11|2|6|8|9|12|1|-|-|1|1
DECEMBER|10|1|8|9|2|6|-|-|-|1|-
JANUARY|12|1|6|7|-1|21|1|-|-|-|-
FEBRUARY | 13 | 2 | 14 | 16 |8|17|2|-|-|-|-
MARCH|9|2|5|7|6|6|-|-|-|-|
SEASON TOTAL|72|11|48|59|15|79|6|-|1|2|2

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Might have the best vision of any of the 2012 Eligible defenceman. Kid can sure dish the puck.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Might have the best vision of any of the 2012 Eligible defenceman. Kid can sure dish the puck.

Great vision and skating are his best abilities. I do like the Leddy comparison from above (Nick is IMO better). But the guy has some serious issues in the defensive end especially the corners.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
is this guy really going under the radar, how is there no talk about him?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Yeah he really isn't getting much love. With that being said, he's been exposed quite a bit recently in the WHL playoffs. Tonight he was ok, last night he was flat out bad for Portland.

I still think he might have more offensive potential than guys like Dumba, Murray or Rielly. He's that gifted with the puck.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Yeah he really isn't getting much love. With that being said, he's been exposed quite a bit recently in the WHL playoffs. Tonight he was ok, last night he was flat out bad for Portland.

I still think he might have more offensive potential than guys like Dumba, Murray or Rielly. He's that gifted with the puck.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Probably with most offensively complete player in this draft.

Problem is, he doesn't have the size (Reinhart), speed (Reilly),a dynamic game (Dumba), or all around game (Murray) that his peers seem to have.

Due to this, I think there is a chance that he drops to late in the first round or even early in the second round, simply by getting lost in the shuffle.

Pure talent wise, he's probably a top 15 pick, though.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Probably with most offensively complete player in this draft.

Problem is, he doesn't have the size (Reinhart), speed (Reilly),a dynamic game (Dumba), or all around game (Murray) that his peers seem to have.

Due to this, I think there is a chance that he drops to late in the first round or even early in the second round, simply by getting lost in the shuffle.

Pure talent wise, he's probably a top 15 pick, though.

All good points. With that being said, it only takes that one team looking for that one elite skillset to have Pouliot end up as a top 20 pick.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I believe he's faster than some people think. He'll be dynamite next season in the WHL.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Dan Boyle. Straight up, runs a PP and finds guys the same way.

I've used a Brian Campbell comparison, just because I hate comparing a LH shot to a RH shot, like Boyle is.

I agree on the vision part, I've said he has the best vision of any D in the draft.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I was very impressed with his offensive abilities at the top prospects game, based on that game alone I'm surprised that he doesn't get more love in draft rankings.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I believe he's faster than some people think. He'll be dynamite next season in the WHL.

Agreed. Next year will be interesting as likely four of Portland's top six defenders will be gone (along with a slew of forwards and their starting goalie). They have some quality reinforcements coming, but next year might be a challenge for him, particularly compared to this season and last year. He'll have no choice but to be the man.

arsmaster*

He's better than his teammate Joe Morrow, who was taken 23rd overall last year.

What a game he had last night too.

He's a top 20 guy easily for me.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He's better than his teammate Joe Morrow, who was taken 23rd overall last year.

What a game he had last night too.

He's a top 20 guy easily for me.

I wouldn't go that far. I'm a huge fan of Morrow and think some teams are going to kick themselves for not taking him prior to 23rd overall. He's definitely a better and more well rounded player than Pouliot is right now. As far as future potential, that could definitely be closer.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I wouldn't go that far. I'm a huge fan of Morrow and think some teams are going to kick themselves for not taking him prior to 23rd overall. He's definitely a better and more well rounded player than Pouliot is right now. As far as future potential, that could definitely be closer.

Agreed, right now Morrow is clearly better. Pouliot does, however, look much better some games. When Morrow plays bad, it tends to be really bad.

arsmaster*

To each their own.

I'm much more impressed by Pouliot and see his pro potential being better.

I dont like seeing them on the same pair, they seem too similar to play together.

duli12345

Apr 26, 2012
Pouliot's upside is better than Morrow's.

He has Letang skill set at the same age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad