LD Darnell Nurse (2013, 7th, EDM)

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Has anyone seen this guy play?

What can you tell me about him.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/36481-Prospect-Watch-Darnell-Nurse.html

Drafted in the first round of the Priority Selection draft by SSM.

Similar upside to Eric Gudbranson. He is a good skater for his size, and once he matures and plays under a coach that will push him to be a more physical player, could be one of the better defenceman in the OHL. He still has issues with consistancy, but so do most 15 year olds.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Has anyone seen this guy play?

What can you tell me about him.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/36481-Prospect-Watch-Darnell-Nurse.html

Drafted in the first round of the Priority Selection draft by SSM.

Just the final game of the OHL Cup on tv. Hard to get a good read on him just from there but he is a good skating defenceman who likes to join the rush but he looked wayyy out of position on many occasions. Not sure if this is due to poor coaching or just something he needs to iron out in his game. Tons of athletic tools though, maybe he can excel at the next level in a more structured environment.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
From what i've seen of this guy he has all the tools to become an NHLer, however I feel when I watch him he either isnt giving his all or he isnt aware of how good he is because it sometimes seems like hes just going through the motions and not playing with that competitive edge he could. He reminds me of casey babineau of the rimouski oceanic a lot, hes good, but he could be a lot better if he decided to be.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
From what i've seen of this guy he has all the tools to become an NHLer, however I feel when I watch him he either isnt giving his all or he isnt aware of how good he is because it sometimes seems like hes just going through the motions and not playing with that competitive edge he could. He reminds me of casey babineau of the rimouski oceanic a lot, hes good, but he could be a lot better if he decided to be.

Alot of 15 year olds have that consistancy issue.

Once he matures both physically and emotionally I think he will be a real good one. Its all about coaching and his mental attributes. Ive been told that he is an excellent leader and has the drive, so he should get significantly better under the right coach.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009

Agreed.

Once he's able to truly establish himself on a team though, you will see how good this kid is. He just needs to gain confidence in his abilities.

He could be better than he is, he's athletically gifted

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
they say he is the next pronger

"The Next Pronger" is an unfair comparison for a 15 year old. I know the hockey news attached that label, but he doesn't play a Pronger style.

It's like any forward who shows skill and an ability to play a two way game being called the next Yzerman.

Snowhawk

Dec 22, 2006
Ontario
Saw this kid play this past season at the Whitby Silver Stick tournament. Actually went to see Max Domi but Nurse kept drawing my eye.

Very good skater for his size, was very poised with the puck... never seemed to panic. Made a good first pass out of his zone. Contrary to what I've read here, his positioning seemed to be pretty good. The only thing that seemed to be missing is consistency in the physical aspect of the game.

As far as Pronger comparisons go, he didn't seem to possess the nasty/mean streak that Pronger has.

I really like his game.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
As others have said, he has all the tools to become one of the best defencemen in the OHL. He also brings a lot of leadership to his teams, captaining both his Minor Midget team and Team Ontario.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Saw this kid play this past season at the Whitby Silver Stick tournament. Actually went to see Max Domi but Nurse kept drawing my eye.

Very good skater for his size, was very poised with the puck... never seemed to panic. Made a good first pass out of his zone. Contrary to what I've read here, his positioning seemed to be pretty good. The only thing that seemed to be missing is consistency in the physical aspect of the game.

As far as Pronger comparisons go, he didn't seem to possess the nasty/mean streak that Pronger has.

I really like his game.

Youve got it.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Hate to ask this, but with his American heritage, has he been on USNTDP's radar? Or is he committed to SSM?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
LD Darnell Nurse - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds - (2013 NHL Draft)

Was really impressed by this kid today at the U18's vs Team USA.

Skates well, aggressive, uses his body, plays tough......

Any thoughts on this play through the year in the OHL. Stats are not that great but he obviously did something right and got an invite to play for Canada at this years tourney as an underage.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Did not like that play when he came out from behind the net and got stripped and scrambled around. Granted, only one play, he's only 16-years-old. Will be following him closely next year.

ProspectTalk

May 6, 2012
Darnell Nurse 2013 Draft

In all the mock draft's i look at he is a 2nd rounder or a really late 1st round pick. He was on Team Canada for the U-18 and I didnt think he looked too bad. Why is he rated this low? Any potential rise ?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I know personally I find him soft to a degree, not aggressive enough, and does not use his size nor his skill level like he should...he has the talent, but I do not think he knows just how talented he really could be. 1st round I think not though, late 2nd round to early 3rd I would say.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I know personally I find him soft to a degree, not aggressive enough, and does not use his size nor his skill level like he should...he has the talent, but I do not think he knows just how talented he really could be. 1st round I think not though, late 2nd round to early 3rd I would say.

Is he a 1st rounder if he figures it out?

But couldn't that be said for a bunch of kids?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad