LD Daniil Zhuravlyov - Ak Bars Kazan, KHL (2018, 146th, COL released)

dexholl

Apr 1, 2017
An underrated (in my opinion) defenseman from Nizhniy Novgorod, Russia.

Zhuravlyov has been a top-2 d-man of Team Russia on Hlinka Memorial, also posted 3 (4, but one of them not recorded) assists in 5 games. In MHL Regular Season he posted 11 (5+6) points in 21 games, and played about 25 minutes in last few games.

He has a very good speed and decent acceleration. He not only uses his skating to move the puck (as most young defencemans), he also good defensively, has a great stickcheking skills, and maybe need to gain some strenght, because he weights only 74 kg (163 lbs), to be a more serious threat along the boards. His slap shot is hard and plenty accurate, also he has a great first pass, wrist shot and passing ability.

I found very few predictions about him - all range from 4 to 6 rounds. In my opinion, he has some hidden abilities and Zhuravlyov is a really good gem in late rounds.

(Sorry for my english, it's far from perfect)

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

dexholl

Apr 1, 2017
Danila has played 3 matches in the VHL (tier 2 Russian league) for HC Bars, not gained points, earned a +1 P/M, had an average 15 minutes of icetime. After returning to the MHL, Danila scored 4 (2 + 2) points in 3 games, and now he has 15 (7 + 8) points in 24 games of the season.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Is there any precedent for a defenceman scoring at this level in the MHL in their draft year? Seems like a guy who should be ranked much higher

Reactions: Lemonlimey

dexholl

Apr 1, 2017
Is there any precedent for a defenceman scoring at this level in the MHL in their draft year? Seems like a guy who should be ranked much higher
I think he is underrated, because of russian factor, and because he is a little lightweight for his growth. But he is a real workhorse, and there shouldn't be any issues related to this - he will not stop working, like some Russian players, and he will add bulk.

dexholl

Apr 1, 2017
Zhuravlyov played 18:17 in yesterday's VHL game Bars - Chelmet. 1+1 in 9 VHL games with average 13:35 icetime, Danila continues to rise up at an incredible pace.

dexholl

Apr 1, 2017
An excerpt from an article about the Five Nations Tournament, mckeenshockey.com :

"The player who did the most to boost his draft stock was defender Danila Zhuravlev. Forget for a moment the four points at the event. Zhuravlev was just as strong in his own zone. A very good skater with strong edges and plus transitional ability, he played with poise, patience and advanced positioning."

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He was very impressive at the 5 nations.

His skating, IQ, his puck handling, all top notch. Hes passed a bunch of players on my list.

dexholl

Apr 1, 2017
CzWPv_-eET8.jpg

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Gotta feel that his skating and ability with the puck will be a great fit in the 'new' NHL - in a year where the Boqvists, Hughes and Ty Smiths are the belle's of the ball, this player should fit right in.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Probably the Avs biggest boom or bust prospect from the past couple of years. Has some serious talent, but needs to get better physically and have more toughness with the puck. Reminds me a lot of Kevin Shattenkirk and Erik Gustafsson.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Probably the Avs biggest boom or bust prospect from the past couple of years. Has some serious talent, but needs to get better physically and have more toughness with the puck. Reminds me a lot of Kevin Shattenkirk and Erik Gustafsson.

It's exactly what they said about Boqvist, who went 8th...

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Boqvist is a lot better than Zhuravlyov, who I did think was terribly under-drafted.

Boqvist isn't a lot better, than Zhuravlev. He played in U20 and Alsvenskan, which are weaker, than MHL and VHL. And he didn't look that great in SHL. Zhuravlev didn't play in the KHL, but I doubt, that even Dahlin would make AK Bars roster last season, because Bill doesn't like kids and very demanding to defensive skills.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Boqvist isn't a lot better, than Zhuravlev. He played in U20 and Alsvenskan, which are weaker, than MHL and VHL. And he didn't look that great in SHL. Zhuravlev didn't play in the KHL, but I doubt, that even Dahlin would make AK Bars roster last season, because Bill doesn't like kids and very demanding to defensive skills.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I had Boqvist as my second ranked D and Zhuravlyov as my 18th ranked D. I consider that a lot better. And you know I'm not one of these people who terribly underrates Russian players. I liked Zhuravlyov, but I thought Boqvist was one of the best players in the draft.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Any updates on Zhuravlyov? I think he is a really intriguing prospect.

I noticed that he has no points in 6 games with Barz Kazan in VHL. As a side question, what exactly is the VHL? I am familiar with the KHL and MHL but not that leagure. Why is Zhuravlyov playing in the VHL?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Any updates on Zhuravlyov? I think he is a really intriguing prospect.

I noticed that he has no points in 6 games with Barz Kazan in VHL. As a side question, what exactly is the VHL? I am familiar with the KHL and MHL but not that leagure. Why is Zhuravlyov playing in the VHL?

Just to make it clear:

MHL is a junior league
VHL is a second-tier pro league
KHL is a first-tier pro league

Common opinion in Russian hockey is that, if possible, a player should graduate from the juniors as soon as he is able to handle the pro hockey and, since already in the last season Zhuravlyov played 11 games there with decent minutes, it's quite logical that they decided that there is no point in returning him back to juniors.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Just to make it clear:

MHL is a junior league
VHL is a second-tier pro league
KHL is a first-tier pro league

Common opinion in Russian hockey is that, if possible, a player should graduate from the juniors as soon as he is able to handle the pro hockey and, since already in the last season Zhuravlyov played 11 games there with decent minutes, it's quite logical that they decided that there is no point in returning him back to juniors.

Ive noticed the youtube channel has full games right now. They did the same last year but stopped in october. Do you know of they intend to post every game on youtube like the MHL ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad