LD Cole Hutson - US National U17 Team, USDP (2024 Draft)

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

Brother of small, dynamic 2022 draft eligible defender Lane Hutson was named to the U17 US National Team and put up very solid numbers as a defender in his respective league putting up just under 3PPG in 24 games. Should be interesting to see how he progresses going forward!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Brother of small, dynamic 2022 draft eligible defender Lane Hutson was named to the U17 US National Team and put up very solid numbers as a defender in his respective league putting up just under 3PPG in 24 games. Should be interesting to see how he progresses going forward!

It's only highlights but he looks really similar stylistically to Lane. Hopefully Lane and Cole hit some growth spurts to be the size of their older brother Quinn.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
First time seeing him play.

Not as talented as Lane. A little better defensively and a little bigger. He’s good offensively and has some really nice skill plays, but he doesn’t take over a game offensively on a shift like Lane can with skating, playmaking, and hockey sense. Probably skates a little worse than Lane, but not by a lot.

I’d say he looks like a borderline first round pick at this point heading towards 2024. Doesn’t have amazing offensive skills and skating, more in the good category, so being 5’10/5’11 as opposed to 5’8 would help a lot.

Reactions: TheGr8Cornholio

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
The similarities of Lane are there. Both have phenomenal vision manning the blue line. Cole is a bigger and looks more filled out at this age. Lane‘s edgework isn’t something Cole has.

But both players are able to facilitate offence from the blue line like few other defenders of their age groups. He’s going to put up a lot of points.

Reactions: TheGr8Cornholio

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I liked his play better in the second game. He does have some Lane shifts, but not enough. Lane could take over games, Cole doesn't do that.

@GermanSpitfire is probably right that it's down to his edge-work not being as good. If this guy ends up like 5'10 or 5'11, I don't even think he'll be a defensive liability. For his size he's very good defensively. Lane was good for his size, but took so many chances offensively that it caused some issues defensively. Cole is bigger and plays a little safer.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The Luke to Lane’s Quinn? :sarcasm:

Between the Hughes’ and the Hutsons’, USA hockey is in good shape. I think somebody will sign Quinn before all is said and done too. He’s not nearly in the bracket of his defenseman brothers but he’s a pretty talented frosh nonetheless.

Reactions: badfish

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
As mentioned in the Eiserman thread, up to the U18s with him and Hagens

I didn't think Hutson would be the one promoted out of the defensive crop.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
As mentioned in the Eiserman thread, up to the U18s with him and Hagens

I didn't think Hutson would be the one promoted out of the defensive crop.

Who were you thinking instead? The U18 defense needs a high-end offensive defenseman, which is Hutson's bread and butter. The only other guy I thought would maybe get consideration was Rheaume-Mullen, but he's similar to the U18 guys. The others are too raw. Hensler has looked better and better each time I've seen him throughout the season, but he's not there yet.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Wildabeast

Jan 28, 2022
Who were you thinking instead? The U18 defense needs a high-end offensive defenseman, which is Hutson's bread and butter. The only other guy I thought would maybe get consideration was Rheaume-Mullen, but he's similar to the U18 guys. The others are too raw. Hensler has looked better and better each time I've seen him throughout the season, but he's not there yet.

I think Rheaume-Mullen is gonna be pretty da** good based on what I've seen moving forward, but hutson is definitely an offensive dynamo like his brother at this point so you're spot on. Like you said, all those defenseman have a lot of crazy potential. Feel like it's one of their better defense corps in a while in that regard.

Side note- Minnesota has another huge D eligible for next years team who I am betting will be on the u17 team if he so chooses to pursue it: Maceo Phillips. He's like 6'5 from benilde st Margaret's who have a lot of alum in the program. Beast, and I believe he has been shooting up National rankings recently but I don't have access to most of those services.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
going to be very interesting to see where he goes next draft with what his brother is doing, got to think he's going to get a lot of attention next year.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I can't compare Cole to Lane but from what I've seen at the U18 Worlds this kid is fantastic. Smooth skater, confident with puck, and very deceptive. I haven't really noticed him on the defensive side of things; not sure if that's good or bad. The stage is definitely not too big for him and he's a year younger. Fun to watch!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Never say never but I'd be surprised if he's in the running for the top half of the first round barring a growth spurt. If he's 5'10" plus come his draft, sure. Doesn't need to be a huge growth spurt but I don't think NHL teams are there yet on taking a 5'8" defenseman that high in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad