6' 2.75" | 200 lbs
Born: 1994-03-26, Lakeville MN USA
Team: USA NTDP U-18, USHL
Committed to: University of Minnesota

10psouth0118_large_original_display_image.jpg

Pages:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=10636
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=90352
http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.com/playerpage.html?playerid=4254506&seasonid=7849

Stats:
PHP:
Season	Team	League	GP	G	A	TP	PIM	    	Postseason	GP	G	A	TP	PIM 
 2008-2009	 Lakeville North High	 USHS	25	2	12	14	6	|	 	 	 	 	 	  
 2009-2010	 Lakeville North High	 USHS	25	7	16	23	24	|	 Playoffs	5	4	2	6	6 
 2010-2011	 USNTDP Juniors		 USHL		36	1	5	6	14	|	 Playoffs	2	0	0	0	0 
 	 		U.S. National U17 Team	 USDP	55	5	14	19	24	|	 	 	 	 	 	  
 	 		USA U17	 WHC-17				5	1	2	3	0	|	 	 	 	 	 	  
 2011-2012	 USNTDP Juniors	 USHL		22	2	9	11	12	|	 	 	 	 	 	  
 2012-2013	 Univ. of Minnesota	 NCAA	-	-	-	-	-	|

Rankings:
CSS Midterm: 18 | Final: tbd
Bob McKenzie Midterm: 21 | Final: tbd

TSN Grant McCagg:
Strengths: A great skater for his size, likes to support the play from the back end, above-average puck mover, can lug the puck if needed, good hockey sense, gets point shots on the net, passing skills are okay, can play on the power play. Has improved quite a bit in last few months, hasn't reached his full potential yet.
Weaknesses: Not a hard-nosed kid, won't play a physical style despite his size and needs to add some muscle. Not an overly creative player and his offensive production may not be great - he needs work on his consistency.
NHL upside: May have the size/skating ability to be given top three minutes on an NHL blue line someday.​

Twitter: @BradySkjei

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Excited to see him at the U. However, I'm not sure who he will supplant if nobody turns pro early; we have Helgeson, Alt, Holl, Schmidt, Marshall who played a lot this year. I guess the 6th spot is open to Paranteau and Skjei.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
I've seen him play here in Dubuque. I'd compare him to a less talented Quincy. I see him as a #3-4 defenseman with a 30 point per season average with good +/- numbers

IkeaMonkey*

I've seen him play here in Dubuque. I'd compare him to a less talented Quincy. I see him as a #3-4 defenseman with a 30 point per season average with good +/- numbers

I don't get the hype either. To be honest.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
A less talented Quincy? That's still good for a late 1st. No one said he'd be in the top 15 or anything. He probably goes late 1st/very early 2nd.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
A less talented Quincy? That's still good for a late 1st. No one said he'd be in the top 15 or anything. He probably goes late 1st/very early 2nd.

this.

what a bum!

he will be a first round pick, will have plenty of time to grow as a player because God knows no player ever gets better throught their college years, and he should make it as a solid top 4 dman.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
this.

what a bum!

he will be a first round pick, will have plenty of time to grow as a player because God knows no player ever gets better throught their college years, and he should make it as a solid top 4 dman.

Yeah he will, players in the bottom of the first round still have very good potential, they just need more ironing out in their game that the early first round picks don't need.

I'm not saying he'll be a dud, but he'll need time to mature. On a team like the Boston Bruins or Chicago Blackhawks he'll have the opportunity to succeed

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
he's Nigel Williams.

Your typical "jeans model" prospect, just a big kid who can skate well. Bad hockey sense, soft for his size, no real offensive identity. If he goes before Jake McCabe I'll eat my hat.

IkeaMonkey*

What hype? Mid to late first round pick.

He is no Brian Cooper - Just more speed, skill and size, give him four years of college and he should become more physical.

Ooooohhh, I see what you did there!

For what it's worth, I like Justin Wade more than Cooper as the season has progressed lol.

I concur with firstroundbust however.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
He is in a good place to learn how to play D. The gophers and Don Lucia have 7 NHL regulars on the blue line and two call ups this year. Nate Schmidt is the leading D1 d man in assists and should be top 5 in PP points overall.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
he's Nigel Williams.

Your typical "jeans model" prospect, just a big kid who can skate well. Bad hockey sense, soft for his size, no real offensive identity. If he goes before Jake McCabe I'll eat my hat.

too bad Riser isn't running the drafting any more i'd like to see us trade our 2nd overall and granlund to move up to 1st and pick Skjei

IkeaMonkey*

I'm willing to bet that he does go before McCabe on NTDP pedigree alone. To me, the kid is just a "blah" prospect. He's been paired with Seth Jones every time I've seen him, so I guess that detracts from the "shine" value when paired with a player of Jones' calibre. However, Skjei just didn't "stand out" at all. I mean, he was a safe player, which is good I guess, but he didn't display a single tool that makes you say wow. Trouba's got the meanness you want in the defensive end, Jones has the great size and skating ability to go with that size, Skjei is essentially just a bigger Connor Carrick.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I'm willing to bet that he does go before McCabe on NTDP pedigree alone. To me, the kid is just a "blah" prospect. He's been paired with Seth Jones every time I've seen him, so I guess that detracts from the "shine" value when paired with a player of Jones' calibre. However, Skjei just didn't "stand out" at all. I mean, he was a safe player, which is good I guess, but he didn't display a single tool that makes you say wow. Trouba's got the meanness you want in the defensive end, Jones has the great size and skating ability to go with that size, Skjei is essentially just a bigger Connor Carrick.

mccabe played in wcha tho, did well for wisconsin

IkeaMonkey*

mccabe played in wcha tho, did well for wisconsin

Yea, I know. I just think the NTDP kids get a bit more of a "bump" than they should for being with the program and already-in-college kids(who aren't wham-bam elites) get the shaft in terms of draft position.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002

You don't think Skjei's skating is a "wow" factor type of thing? I haven't seen the NTDP U18's this year but I saw a lot of them as U17's last year and I felt that Skjei was the best pure skater on the team, just a beautiful stride. He certainly had other things to work on but I figured with his combination of size and skating he'd be highly regarded by NHL scouts. From the sound of it he hasn't made the kind of progress in other ares as I hoped he would make this year but I'm not surprised he's generated some hype.

McCabe also played for the NTDP so that shouldn't factor into things. I know he's improved a lot this year but he was always sort of a "meh" type in my eyes. He might be solid going forward but I think he projects as more of a depth player going forwards whereas Skjei seems like he's got the tools to be more. I'm planning to watch the U18 wjc's in April so I'll finally get some up to date viewings on him.

IkeaMonkey*

You don't think Skjei's skating is a "wow" factor type of thing? I haven't seen the NTDP U18's this year but I saw a lot of them as U17's last year and I felt that Skjei was the best pure skater on the team, just a beautiful stride. He certainly had other things to work on but I figured with his combination of size and skating he'd be highly regarded by NHL scouts. From the sound of it he hasn't made the kind of progress in other ares as I hoped he would make this year but I'm not surprised he's generated some hype.

McCabe also played for the NTDP so that shouldn't factor into things. I know he's improved a lot this year but he was always sort of a "meh" type in my eyes. He might be solid going forward but I think he projects as more of a depth player going forwards whereas Skjei seems like he's got the tools to be more. I'm planning to watch the U18 wjc's in April so I'll finally get some up to date viewings on him.

To me, it's really hard to pick out the "wow" skaters on the NTDP. All of those kids have great tools as players that it's hard to see any pure "skill" weaknesses(in comparison to the skill level of the other players in the USHL). I mean yea, Skjei has great balance and agility for a bigger DMan, but Trouba and Jones are no slouch either.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
To me, it's really hard to pick out the "wow" skaters on the NTDP. All of those kids have great tools as players that it's hard to see any pure "skill" weaknesses(in comparison to the skill level of the other players in the USHL). I mean yea, Skjei has great balance and agility for a bigger DMan, but Trouba and Jones are no slouch either.

I've watched the NTDP kids for about 4 years now, there is usually one kid in each class that goes out and becomes a stud. They're also very good at conditioning goaltenders.

Skjei has a long developmental road ahead of him, but he will be a top 4 defensemen down the road. As far as someone saying he has "bad vision" or hockey sense is false. He can read the plays well, he just needs to know when to jump into the play and when to hold back.

If you get the chance go watch the U17 or U18 team next year and watch Jones. I've seen him play 3 times, and his skill is extraordinary. His style of play is almost identical to Larry Robinson's.

I know that MacKinnon has a lot of hype surrounding him, but I would take Jones ahead of MacKinnon just because of his potential as a franchise defensman. Skjei will get a 7.0C on the boards here. Next year? MacKinnon a 9.0C Jones a 9.5C and Barkov a 8.5D

IkeaMonkey*

I've watched the NTDP kids for about 4 years now, there is usually one kid in each class that goes out and becomes a stud. They're also very good at conditioning goaltenders.

Skjei has a long developmental road ahead of him, but he will be a top 4 defensemen down the road. As far as someone saying he has "bad vision" or hockey sense is false. He can read the plays well, he just needs to know when to jump into the play and when to hold back.

If you get the chance go watch the U17 or U18 team next year and watch Jones. I've seen him play 3 times, and his skill is extraordinary. His style of play is almost identical to Larry Robinson's.

I know that MacKinnon has a lot of hype surrounding him, but I would take Jones ahead of MacKinnon just because of his potential as a franchise defensman. Skjei will get a 7.0C on the boards here. Next year? MacKinnon a 9.0C Jones a 9.5C and Barkov a 8.5D

I've seen Jones more than a handful of times and...he won't be on the U18s next year...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Whats up with Brady Skjei? Lot of scouts seem to be high on him....What kind of game does he play....I heard hes a real physical kid who knows how to throw the body....Would love that on the Isles bluline

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Whats up with Brady Skjei? Lot of scouts seem to be high on him....What kind of game does he play....I heard hes a real physical kid who knows how to throw the body....Would love that on the Isles bluline

Wouldn't call him physical but he's willing to use his size to push people around.

He's big, he's mobile, he's able to rush up the puck up from the dzone to the ozone and set up the play himself, and has a bunch of impressive offensive tools. I saw top four potential and 20-30 first round potential in my viewings.

However, I saw him for 2 games, and I've heard from people I trust total opposite things about him.

To sum up, I think one of his problems is consistently using all his tools; at times (like when I saw him) he moves with good size and moves the puck up very well, other times (like others see) he makes bad mistakes and doesn't use his size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad