LD Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th, MTL)

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Just an all around freakin stud
Yes Congrats on this pick.

Stood out the 1st time i saw him in the WHL Russia challenge game i saw live and have been keeping an eye on him since and he's looking really really good.

Definitely loves to mix it up and looks like he doesn't have any weaknesses unless your gonna ask him to run the offence. Has top4 shut down written all over him.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Checking his stats:

He's +10 in plus/minus leading all players.
No goals against when he's been on the ice.
Leading all D in points.

The WJHC has been his coming out party. Why was he an "off the board pick" when Marc Bergevin selected him?

He was on the ice during that PP Slovakia goal.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Love the name, and his style of play. Hope Habs build a winner, so many arrogant posts by TML/BUF fans the last year or so that the Habs have NO future etc.
Hey, their future is still not bright. Not sucking completely is far from what I would call success.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The WJHC has been his coming out party. Why was he an "off the board pick" when Marc Bergevin selected him?
He was an off the board pick. Hindsight is great, but there is no guarantee for anything with prospects. At draft day he was at best a late 2nd rounder to me, BUT this isn't bad or something for a defenceman. They are harder to predict even. He develops well so far, but there is no guarantee for a linear rise either. His development is far from over and all he does in juniors may not translate at least right away. Let's wait till he presents us with an a say Sergachev like showing in a men's league.

Reactions: Fenris

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Being one of the best 5-on-5 teams and one of the better teams at driving play in the league, does that count as success?

A team that has a legit shot at winning a cup is successful. Definitely don't see that with Montreal.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Pretty damn bright with a top-10 prospect pool, 2nd youngest team in the league and another 10 picks at this year's draft

Top 10 prospect pool? Maybe after the draft considering the picks they have, right now, no.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Arent you the same guy that said that Habs and Leafs had fairly even pools? That they should be ranked in the 20-25 range?

He was very outspoken during the summer about how the Habs prospect pool was bottom half of the league and how Kotkaniemi was a bad pick. Not sure if it's a bias against the Habs or just that both opinions are conveniently similar, but regardless I wouldn't take him too seriously when it comes to discussing Habs prospects.

To have a team with 7 players at the World Juniors, almost all of whom playing big minutes for their respective teams (among them are Poehling who is leading the tournament in points and Romanov who has been far and away the best defenseman of the tournament,leading all D in points and the entire tournament in +/-) and many of whom having very successful starts to their D+ careers thus far outside the tournament... hard to doubt they don't have a near top 10 prospect pool - if not firmly within the top 10.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Hey, their future is still not bright. Not sucking completely is far from what I would call success.
I think they are looking good. Domi and KK both look like long-term Top 9 Cs. Poehling and Romanov are looking great as prospects. Still have Gallagher, Drouin etc.
Its pretty clear to me that MTL has had a great 6 months and is closer to being back than haters want to believe. I dont even care for the Habs, just think its hilarious when HF thinks a franchise can't turn around its fortunes quickly and writes them off for a decade.

Reactions: JohnLennon

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
I'd love someone who whatched him play KHL games to tell me why the kid is still pointless in 28 KHL games (out of what,40?) this season.
He seems so to be on the low-end of the +/- stat compared to other CSKA defencemen and I have trouble getting TOI easily.

Haven't seen him play other than highlights really. I understand from you folks that he is not "driving" the offence in WJC but I get the feeling that the share of points he gets is fair to his play. This is a genuine question. How come this kid goes pointless in 28/40 KHL games and lead his WJC team and all defencemen in points?

I'd like a wrap-up of his line-pairing-mates/missions in KHL/WJC... If someone can sum this up. Thanks.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
He was an off the board pick. Hindsight is great, but there is no guarantee for anything with prospects. At draft day he was at best a late 2nd rounder to me, BUT this isn't bad or something for a defenceman. They are harder to predict even. He develops well so far, but there is no guarantee for a linear rise either. His development is far from over and all he does in juniors may not translate at least right away. Let's wait till he presents us with an a say Sergachev like showing in a men's league.

So let's wait until he plays 3rd pairing minutes for the best team in the league? Don't hold your breath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad