LD Adam Ollas-Mattsson - Djurgårdens IF, SHL (2014, 175th, CGY)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I want him to come to North America. I think his game is better suited to the small rink. But he's still a long shot.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I want him to come to North America. I think his game is better suited to the small rink. But he's still a long shot.

I agree. I hope he comes over and plays our bottom pairing. I mean I have my personal biases (I have a lot of friends who are friends with him), but I see a #6 role for him in the NHL.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
He is the type of prospect who is at the stage that you can neither bank on, nor exclude from one day making it.

He seems to me to have an absolute ceiling of a middle-pairing, defensive defencemen with some physicality. He has been progressing, so that is why you can not exclude him at this stage.

Flames don't really have many of these in the pipeline - the defensive and physical types - so I, for one, am glad he is in the pipeline.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
1 goal and 3 assists in 52 games. Nothing particularly impressive, but friends back in Sweden say he's a beast defensively and is practically mistake free. Mind you this is also on a larger ice surface. I think if he can find some consistency in speed he'll fit well with the Heat or Thunder in NA.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I highly doubt he has any interest in moving to North America to play in the ECHL or even the AHL.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I highly doubt he has any interest in moving to North America to play in the ECHL or even the AHL.

I am comfortable with him staying where he is for another season, but at some point if he wants to play in the NHL, the most likely route is for him to come over, and then get assigned to the AHL and work on getting his call-up.

I like Ollas-Mattsson, but he is not a superstar who can expect to jump into the NHL directly. I think he would make a very strong bottom pairing guy who is hard on the body and makes opposing teams dislike playing against him.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Hopefully he leaves for AHL next year. I think it would be for the best for both himself, Djurgården and Calgary. His skating is a huge problem on the bigger ice imo

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Hopefully he leaves for AHL next year. I think it would be for the best for both himself, Djurgården and Calgary. His skating is a huge problem on the bigger ice imo

I guess with depending on who they re-sign, there may be room.

Andersson, Kylington, Morrison, Kulak, Wotherspoon, Hickey, Culkin, Kanzig and Falkovsky to fit in, I am not sure there would be room. The guys in bold are upcoming RFAs - I doubt that Culkin is retained as he has had nothing but injury issues. The rest is a toss up, with Morrison being the next least likely prospect to be retained.

I guess throwing him into the ECHL for the season and using him as an injury replacement might be fine, but hardly enticing for him to come over. My guess is that they trade or release Wotherspoon as well, but the Flames seem to really like bringing in a more veteran presence on defence as a leader.

Hickey has another year of being eligible for college, but most people feel he will sign with the Flames after his college career is over. He is very highly regarded within the Flames' system, and rumor has it they will make sure he doesn't get a chance to become a UFA.

I really like what Ollas-Mattsson brings to the table - the only other prospect like him in the system is Kanzig. Defensive defencemen with a bit of a bite to them can be very useful, especially when watching Engelland on the Flames this year. Strong physical presence on the bottom pairing with good defensive ability is so underrated, especially when the rest of the defence seems to be heavily invested in the puck-moving offensive variety.

He isn't getting much ice-time in Djurgården? Has he been that bad that you hope he leaves?

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
He isn't getting much ice-time in Djurgården? Has he been that bad that you hope he leaves?

Unfortunately yes. I wouldn't cry if he stayed as 7th D or something but honestly I think it would be best for everyone. I do think his game fit much better on the smaller ice aswell. To me his skating is such a huge problem and with the bigger spaces here it really shows

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Adam Ollas-Mattsson played his first two AHL games. I wasn't able to see it, but he did pick up an assist in it. How did he play for those who did watch him?

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Apparently had one assist in the first game and 2 in his second if I'm looking at the right page

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad