LD Adam Ginning - Linkoping, SHL (2018, 50th, PHI)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Promising prospect for the 2018 draft. 6'3 defenseman who dressed for 12 games in SHL already this year and played at the U18's as an underager, where he admittedly had a poor showing. I think he's a top62 guy right now, but if he can improve his skating over the summer he could get into the conversation for the 1st round. Assume he'll play most of next season as a regular for Linköping in SHL. I think he projects as a two-way defenseman, maybe a #3D in the NHL, but it's obviously far off still. Will have to see how he does this coming season. A name to keep an eye on though.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=281968

Last edited:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I'm not high at all on Ginning, sure he was young but he looked like a pylon at the U18 WJC, like REALLY bad and he wasn't much better at the five nations in February.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm not high at all on Ginning, sure he was young but he looked like a pylon at the U18 WJC, like REALLY bad and he wasn't much better at the five nations in February.

He looked awful at the U18's, I agree, but he had a good season in SuperElit, and he got 12 games in SHL and from the little I saw he didn't look lost there. He needs to improve his skating but his size and two-way potential is intriguing. I bet this is a guy NHL teams will be watching closely next season.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
His skating is better than I remembered it being. Could use a little bit more explosiveness but otherwise he's a fine skater.

Think he's going to be talked about quite a bit this coming season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he's a good player. Not the plug people will claim he is. Big defensive defensemen usually always have a tough time with perception.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Only really saw him at the U-18's. Wasn't a big fan. He got more ice-time than his fellow 2000 on the back-end in Boqvist, but that was probably due to Branstrom and Liljegren. I'm curious to see how he will bounce back at the Hlinka.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

How does he compare to a Gabriel Carlsson?

Tough to say, I didn't see Gabriel Carlsson all that much in his draft year. I think they're at a similar level as prospects though, but Ginning is better offensively while Carlsson is probably better defensively.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I think he's a good player. Not the plug people will claim he is. Big defensive defensemen usually always have a tough time with perception.

He was a plug at U18 WJC and he was pretty close to one at the five nations, that's all i'm basing it one... Maybe he just had 2 bad tournaments, it happens.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He was a plug at U18 WJC and he was pretty close to one at the five nations, that's all i'm basing it one... Maybe he just had 2 bad tournaments, it happens.

Well he played 12 games in SHL and had 10+ minutes of icetime in at least 5 of those games I think, with two of them being around ~16 minutes of icetime, so he can't be that bad :)

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I'm the first to admit it's possible he just had 2 bad tournaments when i watched.

But i wouldn't say he's probably good just because he got ice time, coaches make weird choices all the time, getting ice time doesn't mean ur good.

We'll see next season how he does, i sure am not impressed with what i've seen in the ~10 games i've watched.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm not even sure Ginning is the best 00 born defenseman playing in Linköping

I assume you're talking about Simon Lundmark? Pointless to compare the two (in a draft context) as Lundmark is a 2019 eligible.

I'm the first to admit it's possible he just had 2 bad tournaments when i watched.

But i wouldn't say he's probably good just because he got ice time, coaches make weird choices all the time, getting ice time doesn't mean ur good.

We'll see next season how he does, i sure am not impressed with what i've seen in the ~10 games i've watched.

I'm not saying he's gonna be a star or anything, just think he's definitely a top62 guy right now and probably a late 1st / early 2nd round guy. But a lot can change in the coming year obviously.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
The goal shown above was his only of the season. He also tacked on an assist for two points in 28 games. Not a very good season. He looks to be around my 4th round right now, and falling. Doesn't provide much if any offense.

Lilja

Nov 2, 2017
Linköping
I see him going in 3rd or 4th round in the draft. Was hoping he would show more progress in his development this year, but hasn't shown it. However, he has shown that he isn't afraid to carry the puck and move forward, hopefully he can get more points for it next year (or even better, right now in the playoffs)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The goal shown above was his only of the season. He also tacked on an assist for two points in 28 games. Not a very good season. He looks to be around my 4th round right now, and falling. Doesn't provide much if any offense.

You can't really judge big, strong and toolsy defensemen on point production, especially in Europe/Sweden. Oscar Klefbom had 2 points in 23 games in SHL in his draft year. The following year he had 2 points in 33 games in SHL and only 4 points in 15 games in J20 SuperElit. Didn't stop him from putting up a 12 goal, 38 point season in the NHL later on.

Ginning has the tools to be able to produce more offense than he has done at this point. It's hardly his primary focus at this point of his career. He's learning how to play against men. You don't go out and take risks and try and produce offense in a situation like that, not unless that is your biggest strength, which for Ginning it isn't.

I still like him (even though I had higher hopes for him this year) and I wouldn't be surprised if some team would take him in the 2nd round just based off his tools and upside alone. A lot will probably depend on how he looks at the U18's, although I'm not sure how big of a scouting presence it will be there this year.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
2nd pair minute eater. Not a 1st rounder, but can fill a need 3 yrs down the line for somebody who wants to reach in the 2nd.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's going to get drafted a lot earlier than he should be. He's your typical prospect that has an advanced defensive game for his age but not a whole lot of tools outside of that, who generally get passed by other prospects by the time they are developed for the NHL.

Late 3rd/early 4th for me but he will likely be selected in the 2nd by a NHL team.

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
Anyone have a good scoop on Adam Ginning?
Is 41 or 43 (NYI picks) too high for him? Will he be gone by then?
More Jonas Brodin or Brandon Gormley?

The thread about Swedes dominating the Norris has got me thinking..

Thanks!

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
There are tens of mock drafts and prospect write ups on this site. Take 20 minutes and you have your answer. He is slated to go around the NYI picks in most mocks and if I'm not mistaken he is more of a stay at home type.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I thought he had a strong finish to the season. Don't think he will ever be a super productive player but I would not call him a stay at home D. He's got some interesting tools for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad