LC Sam Miletic - London Knights, OHL (2015 undrafted)

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Lots of Knight fans think it is Sam Miletic from the USHL's Green Bay Gamblers

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
lol. At this rate Zach Werenski is gonna commit after the draft too.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
They must treat their players and staff well if all these players make commitments there.

Pretty nice city, really nice arena, consistently a top team and draft pedigree. I don't think there are many better programs out there than the Knights since the Hunters came.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Anyone have any info on Sam Miletic
Played LW on a high-scoring line with Sabres '14 sixth-rounder Chris Brown and Miami recruit Austin Alger ('15 Michigan Mr. Hockey) at Cranbrook in 2013-14. Miletic and Brown then moved to Green Bay for 2014-15 and Minnesota recruit Brent Gates Jr filled out their line early on IIRC. Miletic was one of the younger players on what ended up the worst team in the Eastern Conference, so team depth obviously wasn't there and his HS linemate Brown was shipped out at the deadline. Miletic did finish the year with 4+5 in his last 11 GP, though 3+1 came in the game below, and you can probably find more clips on that channel too.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
If Miletic were ready for college hockey, Michigan would have brought him in this year with Larkin and Copp going pro. I would have to think he is a tweener between the third and fourth line if London is as stacked as they seem to be.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
If Miletic were ready for college hockey, Michigan would have brought him in this year with Larkin and Copp going pro. I would have to think he is a tweener between the third and fourth line if London is as stacked as they seem to be.

When I heard his name being "done" to the Kinights a few weeks ago I asked an NHL scout who saw him a lot the last 2 years about him. He said "3rd line in London."

Not confirming it's 100% him tomorrow. I haven't asked anyone since I originally heard his name. It's just a logical guess based on that previous info I heard.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Wouldn't Brady Tkachuk want to play with his bro on the Knights?

I don't know too much about Brady, but I'm sure he'd be hard-pressed to break into the Knights top 9 this season. Therefore probably better for his development to play a year or 2 with the NTDP.
It would be nice to see him play a season with Matt next year though.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Wouldn't doubt at all that after draft Werenski heads there too

He very well might, but why would Werenski do that? And I'm not turning this into an NCAA versus CHL debate, but in Werenski's case he's likely going to make the NHL in two years whether he stays or goes...why not play one more year at Michigan and then go straight to the AHL/NHL and make real money. I get the argument that the CHL prepares you for more of an NHL type schedule (and I think that's legit), but Michigan literally has World Class training facilites, strength coaches, etc., and he gets another year playing against men versus than dominating kids (if that London team is as stacked as people say, half of their games are going to be mismatches). Just my .02 cents.

As for the other kid, I sort of get why he bolts. Michigan wanted him for 2016, which means another year in Green Bay, so why not jump to the OHL if you think that's the better path for hockey success. I don't think there's any doubt that London will be better than Green Bay next year. As his dad, I might ask him to be honest with himself about whether he's a legitimate NHL prospect at this point, but you have to support your kids either way.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He very well might, but why would Werenski do that? And I'm not turning this into an NCAA versus CHL debate, but in Werenski's case he's likely going to make the NHL in two years whether he stays or goes...why not play one more year at Michigan and then go straight to the AHL/NHL and make real money. I get the argument that the CHL prepares you for more of an NHL type schedule (and I think that's legit), but Michigan literally has World Class training facilites, strength coaches, etc., and he gets another year playing against men versus than dominating kids (if that London team is as stacked as people say, half of their games are going to be mismatches). Just my .02 cents.

As for the other kid, I sort of get why he bolts. Michigan wanted him for 2016, which means another year in Green Bay, so why not jump to the OHL if you think that's the better path for hockey success. I don't think there's any doubt that London will be better than Green Bay next year. As his dad, I might ask him to be honest with himself about whether he's a legitimate NHL prospect at this point, but you have to support your kids either way.

Ya it ultimately comes down to what Werenski wants to do and what his NHL team wants him to do. Some players and teams prefer one route over the other depending on what the player/nhl team feels he needs work on. NCAA provides a lesser schedule but more time in the gym and getting stronger ... CHL gives the schedule that is closer to NHL, and both obviously play against good talent. Everyone has their preference which route is better and every kid knows what route is better for their development.
One nitpick thing I really hate though is the bigger ice surface in NCAA .. I really wish every rink in North America would be the same size. Being used to the big ice surface and then going to NHL sized ice makes a huge difference and I really wish there was just 1 size. I know even when I play shinny hockey and playing on the Olympic ice, it just seems like there is sooooo much room out there and easy to move the puck around then the next game if I play on regular ice, it feels so much quicker and no room. I know kids adapt quickly but it's just one pet peeve of mine!

Last edited:

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

I really don't think the Knights will stomp every game. Most of their best players are 2016 eligible now so their time might be the following year.

An argument for Werenski, specifically, not needing another year of college is how physically developed he already. More practice in game could be good for him.

Either path I think he will develop the same. Both have their pros and cons.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Ya it ultimately comes down to what Werenski wants to do and what his NHL team wants him to do. Some players and teams prefer one route over the other depending on what the player/nhl team feels he needs work on. NCAA provides a lesser schedule but more time in the gym and getting stronger ... CHL gives the schedule that is closer to NHL, and both obviously play against good talent. Everyone has their preference which route is better and every kid knows what route is better for their development.

Yeah. I'm not bashing the CHL route, but for some kids it just doesn't make sense at a certain point. To me, if you're American and a stud at 16 or 17, you should bolt up North. You're not going to get enough competition pre-NCAA for a few years, unless you can do what Werenski and Bjudstad did (accelerate your studies to get to the NCAA a year early). The CHL is probably the best fit in that situation where you're pretty sure you're NHL bound by 16 or 17.

But in the case of Werenski, I think that ship sailed already for it to make sense making that move. After the draft, his new team might just tell him that they're ready to sign him and bring him to camp. If the argument FOR him moving to the CHL is to get more of a pro-style environment, then wouldn't it just make more sense for him to actually be a pro (in the AHL or NHL)?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Miletic sounds like an interesting player. His numbers last year doesn't pop out at you but you have to keep in mind that Green Bay team was pretty awful. Going to London sounds like the best path for this kid. Dunno how much minutes he gets next year but the year after that he'll be the go-to guy when Dvorak graduates and Marner probably will be in the NHL. Could probably learn a lot from those guys next year too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad