Laviolette Fired

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Can't say I'm inspired by any of the interim or replacement names being tossed around, but, meh. Maybe the horse will learn to sing. :dunno:

Jul 12, 2007
Babcock is not a bad chance to take. He can motivate the talent when he has it. Wouldn't want to give him any more time than this year unless he goes far. But why not ? Better than a no-name.

Ken Hitchcock lol. That would be funny.

Wish we could get ahold of Berube or Boughner, and stock -em up with some muscle.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Can't say I'm inspired by any of the interim or replacement names being tossed around, but, meh. Maybe the horse will learn to sing. :dunno:

Picking a coach is like playing the lottery in my view. Babcock is a living legend and couldn't get it done with a talented Leafs squad. Craig Berube is a former enforcer who had never been a NHL head coach and he took the most underachieving team in 18-19 and turned them into a powerhouse. How many times has a coach been fired from one franchise and succeeded in his next gig? There isn't a lot of rhyme or reason to me. I'm going to be open-minded about whoever gets the job.

Edit: jk....Berube had been a NHL head coach for a short time in a mixed success stint with the Flyers.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Babcock is not a bad chance to take. He can motivate the talent when he has it. Wouldn't want to give him any more time than this year unless he goes far. But why not ? Better than a no-name.

Ken Hitchcock lol. That would be funny.

Wish we could get ahold of Berube or Boughner, and stock -em up with some muscle.
If Babcock is hired by the Preds, I would strongly consider giving up on the idea of having a #2 team. Given what he was fired for, it's too soon.

Reactions: valeriammm

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Wow! Well it was coming, but with Mr. Poile’s well known patience most figured we’d see another solar eclipse before this.

Hopefully the next hire is able to accurately assess this lineup and provide David with the information needed in order to assemble a winner.

I think most of the pieces are still there, but the right coaching staff along with identifying & developing the talent from within will be critical.

I recognize I’m not saying anything that hard core fans do not already know, but from an outsiders perspective it was frustrating to rarely see a prospect with the big club. I hope that changes now.

Cheers

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Doubt there will be many signs like this tomorrow

upload_2020-1-6_19-16-27.png

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Good coach. Seems like a good guy.

Like most human beings, however, he clearly had an exparation date in an organization. Wish him well.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Maybe he had a chance to talk with Sutter last night (he's a consultant for Eakins with the Ducks)? Wishful thinking.

Thanks for the memories Lavy, though unlike with Trotz I'm not torn on this decision at all. Shocked Poile pulled the trigger (or forced the issue, however it came about).

Reactions: SouthNash

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
They’ll settle up on coaches soon enough, interim or not. The bigger question for me is which players don’t survive this. Laviolette was making the decisions about who and their ice time. I see player changes, line changes, ice time changes, power play lineup changes, perhaps even trades/waivers/ releases and then callups.
Otherwise why fire Laviolette/McCarthy?
Of course, there is the matter of “system” we’ve all discussed. But if (or really when) it changes, it will no doubt necessitate player changes.
Be interesting to watch.

Reactions: Gh24

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I am so pumped Poile did it!!

Lavy will find work elsewhere no big deal, but this is fresh blood for us!!

We should hire Deboer!

Oldracer

Jan 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Lavi's in the S C Champ team photo on my family room wall! He's welcome to stop in for a cold one any time! But, for some reason he has a shelf life, and he's reached it in Nashville. I can't put my finger on it, but, it seems that the players tune him out after a while, and he can't seem to get them back. Enjoy what you got out of him, you almost found Nirvana and 28 other teams would have been glad to have the Preds record!

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

The timing of this after not our worst games and the lack of a plan for interim coach makes this seem like it was sort of unplanned. I love to wildly speculate so I'm going to go along with the theory put forth above that Poile told Lavi to fire McCarthy and he quit instead.

I think we have all speculated that Lavy wouldnt allow McCarthy to be fired while he stayed. That was really the only explanation for retaining everyone and adding Lambert this summer.

The season Taylor is having in Milwaukee makes him my choice, but Poile may opt for a retread.

Reactions: SouthNash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad