Lavi nominated for Adams

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Well deserved for Lavy.

Trotz still finds a way to get screwed out of a nomination. Thought his turnaround of the Caps was more impressive than a Rangers team that was in the SC Finals last season and a Flames team that, while fun to watch, barely managed to eke out an 8th seed...BFD.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
The nomination is nice, but Hartley is going to win. Two Preds nominated and neither will win. Not much has changed.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
AV getting a nomination is a joke, right? Let's see - Caps, Islanders, Ottawa, Preds, Van, Flames, Peg...... so how many pre-season polls had them at the level they achieved? I get there are coaching shuffles and such that impact some of those, but c'mon - where is it the Rags finished last year?

Good on Lavy, and Hartley is fair, but AV instead of the rest?

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I don't know why they even bother nominating preds for awards. We aren't a big enough market to win any.

Weber on Montreal or Chicago has two Norris trophies by now, same goes for peks with the vezina, well at least one for him.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Sorry, but if Lavy had figured out a way to stem the slide the last two months and we had won the Central and the West, he'd have likely won and certainly deserved a nomination.... but failing to do anything to change things the last 25 games is a coaching failure to me, and I would not have been upset had he not been nominated.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Sorry, but if Lavy had figured out a way to stem the slide the last two months and we had won the Central and the West, he'd have likely won and certainly deserved a nomination.... but failing to do anything to change things the last 25 games is a coaching failure to me, and I would not have been upset had he not been nominated.

The award is for the entire season, not the last 25 games only. And you make it seem like its easy to break out of a slump- just change some things and there you go- it isn't that simple or else there would be no slumps in sports.

Bottom line is we went from 88 points to 104 and had the 6th best record in the league- far exceeding all expectations.

He absolutely deserved the nomination.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Sadly with the way we played the last 20 games, we don't deserve any awards. I wish he would win it and is our best shot at an award this season but Hartley is the run-away winner sadly.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Sadly with the way we played the last 20 games, we don't deserve any awards. I wish he would win it and is our best shot at an award this season but Hartley is the run-away winner sadly.

I think Hartley will win, but from an outside perspective we were WAY better than we were supposed to be. The Flames weren't supposed to be much either but we
"overachieved" just as much if not more than they did.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Lavi could not pull this team together when it mattered. There are others out there that deserved the nomination more than Lavi.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Lavi could not pull this team together when it mattered. There are others out there that deserved the nomination more than Lavi.

I'd say the playoff team Lavy pulled together was significantly better than the team that played the final 20 games of the season. The Hawks are the talk of the league right now and everyone and their brother knows we gave them everything they wanted, and in the eyes of many could've easily beaten them.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
why rag on hartley - it's AV that didn't deserve it. Good grief - a championship team last year and lookee, he managed to keep it good. WOW!!

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
AV won the President's Trophy. I wonder when the last time a President's Trophy coach wasn't an Adams finalist. Maybe it's more common than I'm assuming but I'd think more times than not, that team's coach will be up there.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
AV won the President's Trophy. I wonder when the last time a President's Trophy coach wasn't an Adams finalist. Maybe it's more common than I'm assuming but I'd think more times than not, that team's coach will be up there.

Last year. Boston won the President's trophy and the nominees were Roy, Babcock, and Cooper

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
Certainly won't complain if Hartley wins it. Always have liked him as a coach and still think management in Atlanta was too quick to fire him when the team started like 0-8 the season after our playoff appearance. It wasn't his fault, the 07-08 Thrashers were a serious downgrade to the 06-07 team that won the Southeast division.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Just for arguments sake, other than Hartley, who deserved it more?

Cooper in Tampa
Capuano on the Island had the same problem Lavi did choking down the stretch but he is just as deserving as Lavi
Boudreau won the west yet again
Hitch brought it home down the stretch
Maurice has done just as much with about the same team as Hartley has as well.
Trotz yes I will put him in there too.

Now the Adams is for the coach that had the most impact for the teams success. The level of talent shot down Hitch and Boudreau but they are deserving. I see Capuano and Lavi as mirror images. This leaves Cooper Maurice and Trotz who have in there own way done more than Lavi. If it were my choice it would Be Maurice followed close by Trotz, Maurice has turned that whole team around and even with the loss of Kane got them into post season. Trotz well he can coach offensive players after all and even get OV to play some defense along with korn they have turned a decent goalie into an above average one in Holtby.

For Lavi to be close he needs more offense this team is not able to play his system.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Cooper in Tampa
Capuano on the Island had the same problem Lavi did choking down the stretch but he is just as deserving as Lavi
Boudreau won the west yet again
Hitch brought it home down the stretch
Maurice has done just as much with about the same team as Hartley has as well.
Trotz yes I will put him in there too.

Now the Adams is for the coach that had the most impact for the teams success. The level of talent shot down Hitch and Boudreau but they are deserving. I see Capuano and Lavi as mirror images. This leaves Cooper Maurice and Trotz who have in there own way done more than Lavi. If it were my choice it would Be Maurice followed close by Trotz, Maurice has turned that whole team around and even with the loss of Kane got them into post season. Trotz well he can coach offensive players after all and even get OV to play some defense along with korn they have turned a decent goalie into an above average one in Holtby.

For Lavi to be close he needs more offense this team is not able to play his system.

All of the guys you mentioned are perfectly good candidates but none of them are any more deserving than Lavi except Hartley, in my opinion.

Cooper? Tampa Bay was a consensus cup contender going into the season and they finished with 4 more points than us.

Maurice? He did a great job but people forget that Winnipeg was picked ahead of us in the division. We wound up with 5 more points than them and they were swept out of the playoffs.

And how did Trotz do more than Lavi in the regular season? They were projected to have a better season than us and we finished 3 points ahead of them

You say "For Lavi to be close he needs more offense???" Again- we were picked LAST in the division and were expected to maybe compete for a final wild card spot. We jumped from 88 to 104 points and finished 6th overall in the league...

It boggles my mind how anyone can seriously say Lavi didn't even deserve a nomination- I guess if we had finished with 120 points maybe he would deserve at least a nomination.....

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
All of the guys you mentioned are perfectly good candidates but none of them are any more deserving than Lavi except Hartley, in my opinion.

Cooper? Tampa Bay was a consensus cup contender going into the season and they finished with 4 more points than us.

Maurice? He did a great job but people forget that Winnipeg was picked ahead of us in the division. We wound up with 5 more points than them and they were swept out of the playoffs.

And how did Trotz do more than Lavi in the regular season? They were projected to have a better season than us and we finished 3 points ahead of them

You say "For Lavi to be close he needs more offense???" Again- we were picked LAST in the division and were expected to maybe compete for a final wild card spot. We jumped from 88 to 104 points and finished 6th overall in the league...

It boggles my mind how anyone can seriously say Lavi didn't even deserve a nomination- I guess if we had finished with 120 points maybe he would deserve at least a nomination.....

I think you are confusing team performance with coaching influence which is what the Adams is for. The difference in the 88 points from last year to the 104 points is primarily Rinne. Im pretty sure you argued also that a full season of Rinne last year and that team made the playoffs even with Trotz. I think we can all agree that we expected a pretty good increase in offense with Lavi and for the defense to at least stay as good as last year. We expected more exciting hockey with significantly more scoring due to the system Lavi runs.

2015 GF 232 GA 208 for +24
2014 GF 216 GA 242 for - 26
Granted the numbers are a little skewed due to no Rinne most of last year so what we have to focus on is the 16 goal increase which cam mainly from 3 players FF9 Wilson increase and Josi increase. The remainder of the players who should have benefited from Lavi's system Smith, Stalberg, Weber, Jarnkrok, Cullen Neal and even Fish were either flat or down in there point totals from last season. So it is one of two things Either Lavi's system does not fit these players and he did not adjust to the team strength or the team makeup is not what we hope it is. I tend to think its the latter the team does not match well with Lavi's system and vision, that however does not let the coach off the hook. If the last 25 games of the year had been scattered out thru the year instead of in a wad like they were Lavi would have had a much better case for the Adam's. But the last 1/4 of the season is where people look to the coaches to excel in the crunch and well he just did not.

Now to Trotz
2015 GF 242 GA 203 +39
2014 GF 235 GA 240 -5

Trotz and Korn have transformed Holtby and that team bought into his system including OV to the tune of 37 fewer goals allowed while goal production fell by 7. The Caps also were in a race to make the playoffs in the last 25 games and made it in winning some crucial games to do so. This looks better for a coach than limping in to post season as Lavi did.

Tampa has retooled there team and was expected to make playoffs but not many thought they would be in the running for the presidents trophy but they were they were solid all year. They did not lose more than 2 games in a row during the regular season.

Jets honestly when I looked at there schedule for the last 20 I did not think they had a chance to make the playoffs but with a little help from the Kings they made it. The last 5 games of the season they beat Nucks, Wild, Blues, Flames to make it in. They did this without Kane and with big Buff playing with injured ribs the last month. Maurice did a good job with the roster to get this done when I thought they were done. The additions at the trade deadline did help him however. Stafford was gold for them.

With all that said I like Lavi hockey but he does not have the pieces to be the influence on the team that he could be. Now will ownership and Poile make the moves to fix this? Well from what Poile says not before camp. So We will go to camp with as many questions as we have ever had. Time will tell but we have no reason to expect a bigtime player to be signed or traded for this summer.

As to preseason expectations from last year you mention Tampa was picked to be good well on the other end the Preds were picked to be 29th. I expect that the Preds will be projected to be top 10 in this years preseason pumpers but in reality will be somewhere from 15th to 20th is no roster moves are made.

As to the Adams Hartley wins it pretty handily 2nd AV I doubt Lavi breaks 20% in voting

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I think you are confusing team performance with coaching influence which is what the Adams is for. The difference in the 88 points from last year to the 104 points is primarily Rinne. Im pretty sure you argued also that a full season of Rinne last year and that team made the playoffs even with Trotz. I think we can all agree that we expected a pretty good increase in offense with Lavi and for the defense to at least stay as good as last year. We expected more exciting hockey with significantly more scoring due to the system Lavi runs.

2015 GF 232 GA 208 for +24
2014 GF 216 GA 242 for - 26
Granted the numbers are a little skewed due to no Rinne most of last year so what we have to focus on is the 16 goal increase which cam mainly from 3 players FF9 Wilson increase and Josi increase. The remainder of the players who should have benefited from Lavi's system Smith, Stalberg, Weber, Jarnkrok, Cullen Neal and even Fish were either flat or down in there point totals from last season. So it is one of two things Either Lavi's system does not fit these players and he did not adjust to the team strength or the team makeup is not what we hope it is. I tend to think its the latter the team does not match well with Lavi's system and vision, that however does not let the coach off the hook. If the last 25 games of the year had been scattered out thru the year instead of in a wad like they were Lavi would have had a much better case for the Adam's. But the last 1/4 of the season is where people look to the coaches to excel in the crunch and well he just did not.

Now to Trotz
2015 GF 242 GA 203 +39
2014 GF 235 GA 240 -5

Trotz and Korn have transformed Holtby and that team bought into his system including OV to the tune of 37 fewer goals allowed while goal production fell by 7. The Caps also were in a race to make the playoffs in the last 25 games and made it in winning some crucial games to do so. This looks better for a coach than limping in to post season as Lavi did.

Tampa has retooled there team and was expected to make playoffs but not many thought they would be in the running for the presidents trophy but they were they were solid all year. They did not lose more than 2 games in a row during the regular season.

Jets honestly when I looked at there schedule for the last 20 I did not think they had a chance to make the playoffs but with a little help from the Kings they made it. The last 5 games of the season they beat Nucks, Wild, Blues, Flames to make it in. They did this without Kane and with big Buff playing with injured ribs the last month. Maurice did a good job with the roster to get this done when I thought they were done. The additions at the trade deadline did help him however. Stafford was gold for them.

With all that said I like Lavi hockey but he does not have the pieces to be the influence on the team that he could be. Now will ownership and Poile make the moves to fix this? Well from what Poile says not before camp. So We will go to camp with as many questions as we have ever had. Time will tell but we have no reason to expect a bigtime player to be signed or traded for this summer.

As to preseason expectations from last year you mention Tampa was picked to be good well on the other end the Preds were picked to be 29th. I expect that the Preds will be projected to be top 10 in this years preseason pumpers but in reality will be somewhere from 15th to 20th is no roster moves are made.

As to the Adams Hartley wins it pretty handily 2nd AV I doubt Lavi breaks 20% in voting

Again I respect your opinions but we will just have to agree to disagree here. Confusing team performance with coaching influence?? You don't think Lavi is a huge reason we improved by 16 points? And I really don't care about goal differential- all that matters is your record at the end of the year.

And finally, when I read you saying "this roster just does not fit Lavi's system, etc, etc, etc- if I didn't know what actually happened, it sounded like you are describing a terrible season, not one in which we improved by 16 points. I just do not agree that the only reason we did that was Rinne- heck we had a good record when Hutton filled in during Rinne's absence..

But I think this horse is long past dead......

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Quick two pennies on the goal differential thing, Anaheim was 18th in the league with a +7 for the year, the smallest ratio of any team with a plus rating. Obviously they won the west despite that and are doing fine right now.

For comparison we were 8th at +24, and LA was a +21 and missed the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad