Confirmed with Link: Laval signs F Samuel Vigneault and D Corey Schueneman

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I dont know much on either player but I didnt expect AHL teams to be signing players. AHL contracts must have expired on July 1st like normal?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That's a bad sign for Jevpalovs/Lynch/Lucchini and McEneny/Culkin/Lamarche.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
How does Vigneault use his size ?

Can't say I remember him that much from when Laval played Cleveland. The name rings a bell from watching the Rocket and he has decent stats, but I cannot say much about his play style.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Both were solid NCAAers, guess this means no Lynch, was hoping he would be back but Vigneault likely takes his spot. Don't really care about the blueliners not being back so we'll see how Schueneman does. We had one of Vigneault's teammates at Clarkson in Laval, Boucher-Gould, he did ok but Vigneault was Clarkson's top scorer when both were there.

Reactions: cphabs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Both were solid NCAAers, guess this means no Lynch, was hoping he would be back but Vigneault likely takes his spot. Don't really care about the blueliners not being back so we'll see how Schueneman does. We had one of Vigneault's teammates at Clarkson in Laval, Boucher-Gould, he did ok but Vigneault was Clarkson's top scorer when both were there.

It makes sense. Lynch and Vigneault had similar production last year. Vigneault is 5 years younger, though. And Vigneault was on the second worst team in the AHL last year. He's also a big boy (6'5" and 205 lbs).

Schueneman had good numbers also as a defenseman. His production wasn't far off from what Ouellet had with Laval. Ouellet had 24 pts in 39 GP, Schueneman had 21 pts in 44 GP. 3 less pts in 5 more games. He was second in scoring among defensemen last year in Stockton.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It makes sense. Lynch and Vigneault had similar production last year. Vigneault is 5 years younger, though. And Vigneault was on the second worst team in the AHL last year. He's also a big boy (6'5" and 205 lbs).

Schueneman had good numbers also as a defenseman. His production wasn't far off from what Ouellet had with Laval. Ouellet had 24 pts in 39 GP, Schueneman had 21 pts in 44 GP. 3 less pts in 5 more games. He was second in scoring among defensemen last year in Stockton.

Schueneman led his team in scoring for defensemen in his Junior year at UWM, which is coached by former NHL coach Andy Murray who used to work for us in the Bob Gainey days. I wanted us to sign his teammate Cam Lee who looked good at camp with us last year but he opted to go back for his Senior year, surprised that we didn't sign him instead but perhaps he's holding out for an NHL contract.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Schueneman led his team in scoring for defensemen in his Junior year at UWM, which is coached by former NHL coach Andy Murray who used to work for us in the Bob Gainey days. I wanted us to sign his teammate Cam Lee who looked good at camp with us last year but he opted to go back for his Senior year, surprised that we didn't sign him instead but perhaps he's holding out for an NHL contract.

I remember that McCarron was committed to go to UWM and play for Andy Murray before London (and maybe the Habs) convinced him to go to the CHL. Would have been interesting to see McCarron's development playing under a very respected coach, over 3+ years in the NCAA. Seeing as how fighting isn't permitted in the NCAA, maybe focusing on developing his skills would have been more beneficial.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#HFBoardsOnSamVigneault

''Has a ton of upside and is very mobile despite his height. Loved him at Clarkson. He doesn't have a good shot but he keeps plays alive and uses his active stick very well. Great on the cycle but will need to learn how to finish plays off at the next level.''

''I've talked to some people who watch Clarkson games. I've heard nothing but good things. People were surprised he never got drafted, since he's really mobile for his size and has pretty good hands. He's not really the gritty two-way player you'd think based on his size, but he's not afraid to lay a hit or go in the corners. What he does really well is use his length and speed to protect the puck and get around defenders. He was the heart and soul of a pretty good Clarkson team and the people I know who've met him have come away impressed with his character, for what that's worth.''

''Great size on this guy and some nifty puck skills.''

''Everything I've heard about Vigneault suggests that he's a real heart-and-soul guy for the team.''

''He doesn't have the hands but he's much quicker.''

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Alzner Fleury
Olofsson Brook
Romanov/Ouellet Leskinen

How is there room for another dman?

Last year, they started the year in the AHL with Alzner, Olofsson, Ouellet, Leskinen, Brook, Sklenicka, Lamarche, and Culkin all on contracts (NHL & AHL). They had 8 defensemen under contract when they started the season last year.

Also, no guarantee that Ouellet is extended. I believe he will be. Also, it still remains to be seen where Romanov plays. And who knows about Juulsen (requires waivers) and maybe Fleury will earn his spot in Montreal again. There isn't a clear idea where some of these guys will be. So better to sign someone else for more depth. And being an AHL deal, it doesn't count against the cap or the 50-limit.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
That kinda sucks, Lynch quickly became one of my favorites on the team. Not that he's a big time producer or anything so it's not like he was ever a lock but I just really like his motor and puck hound mentality on the ice . Oh well !

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Last year, they started the year in the AHL with Alzner, Olofsson, Ouellet, Leskinen, Brook, Sklenicka, Lamarche, and Culkin all on contracts (NHL & AHL). They had 8 defensemen under contract when they started the season last year.

Also, no guarantee that Ouellet is extended. I believe he will be. Also, it still remains to be seen where Romanov plays. And who knows about Juulsen (requires waivers) and maybe Fleury will earn his spot in Montreal again. There isn't a clear idea where some of these guys will be. So better to sign someone else for more depth. And being an AHL deal, it doesn't count against the cap or the 50-limit.

This guy sounds pretty good, buy a career AHLer. My fear is he'll be better now than some of our prospects who have higher long term ceilings, get more ice time than them, and thus ultimately stunt their development.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
This guy sounds pretty good, buy a career AHLer. My fear is he'll be better now than some of our prospects who have higher long term ceilings, get more ice time than them, and thus ultimately stunt their development.

He's only 24. So it's not like they'd be giving this ice time to someone older and a vet on the downswing. Also, last year was his first full year in the pros. He only played 6 games the year before after his NCAA year ended. And he did have good numbers. His production was similar to Ouellet's with Laval last year. Shueneman played 5 more games than Ouellet and had 3 less points.

But even then, Bouchard did with Brook what he did with Fleury the year before that. He started them off slow to give them a chance to adapt to the pro game. But as the year went on, he gave them more ice time and more responsibilities. They both started on the third pair (Fleury particularly was even a healthy scratch) and by the end of the year, they were both on the top pair. And more than just being there, they were playing their best when in that spot.

So I trust Bouchard will know who needs to be the focus. Even if Schueneman gets more ice time, the focus will still be the prospects with a future for the organization. It may not seem like it at first, but it will show in the long run.

Fleury and Brook are good examples of that approach. You can also add Primeau. Starting him slow, playing every other game. And then by the end, he was the clear #1. I'll also put Evans in that conversation. He started as 4C in his first pro year. He ended that year as 1C and has gotten better ever since to the point a lot of people peg him as the Habs' 4C.

Reactions: Vachon23

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i'm not worried about TOI for the prospects, if they play well they will get the TOI. For now we need to see what the roster will end up being, and of course if there is a season to begin with. We must make the playoffs next year and I fully expect them to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad