GDT: LAVAL ROCKET @ Belleville Sens | Must Win Game! | Fri., Apr. 19, 2024 7PM -- AHLTV

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Why is that so difficult to comprehend - the job of the AHL team is to develop & graduate players to mothership Habs.

They did that this year - Struble & Mailloux and righting the ship w Xhekaj
Strangely enough.....only D's. That strangely enough had a guy like Bisson mentoring them. And doing an awesome job at it. While up front...we could talk Roy and yet....the guy isn't arrived yet.

Reactions: habsfan891

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Brunet with his coke-bottle glasses, saying that the 3-goalie set up with the Habs sunk the Rocket as there ought to have been a vet backing up Dobes in Laval, esp. in those early games when he was struggling and adapting.

I don't get it, could they not have secured a vet goalie for the minors, anyway?

This is why, while I'm not particularly a fan of Houle, the failure doesn't rest completely on his shoulders. There were a lot of managerial mistakes made this year. It doesn't help that the 2022 TDL deals didn't end up with young forwards on ELCs who helped the AHL team.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Neither struble, Xhekaj or gignac contributed to the Habs success this season. Xhekaj and struble were literally put in development situations in Montreal. This wasn't keeping PK Subban in the minors circa 2010. Gignac was literally just a reward contract and few games, at an inopportune time I might add.

My friend.......your logic is incredibly near sited and self defeating but I don't have the energy to fend this stuff off any longer.

For real, I am going to bow out of this thread now lol.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Did he once scored a goal on the road for the Habs in Miami?
Dauphin ,,, Miami, some connection there.

Yeah, he was our 2nd line center in 2022 when we finished last in the league and drafted Slafkovsky. Lol He may have scored in Florida.

He left that summer to go back to Arizona (they drafted him), but played this past season in the Swiss League. He's still only 29. He is an excellent center at this level, and has a tremendous work ethic. He would be #1 C. Gignac #2.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That was just a shitty game to watch, for teams fighting for their playoff lives it didn't loo like it at all, boring game. Dobes was solid, can't fault him, he really came up big late in the season. The defense was solid so you can't blame them, I thought both Reinbacher and Struble played good games.

The offense was shit, Farrell/Roy's line was terrible, very disappointing game. Posters crapping on Heineman, and he's clearly disappointed at times but the time to really crap on him was Feb/March when he had just 3 pts in 14 games. Going into tonight he had 5 pts in the last 3 games, and 11 pts in the last 14. In fact if you take out that bad stretch he's picked up 23 pts in 34 games going into tonight which was a .68 ppg which is 52 pts in 76 games pace. Just pointing out he really hasn't been bad other then a that bad run though I am not overly impressed with his season in general.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Why is that so difficult to comprehend - the job of the AHL team is to develop & graduate players to mothership Habs.

They did that this year - Struble & Mailloux and righting the ship w Xhekaj

Developing by teaching how to not be ready for games, crumble defensively all the time during games and being unable to form any long lasting chemistry with anyone?

Obviously leagues ahead of Sly for the rest, but I think we can still do better.

Reactions: habsfan891

Fatbiggie

Unregistered User
Jul 30, 2005
No excuses to miss the playoffs, defintively needs some changes this offseason. I don’t know if he did those trades but Sedgwick trades for Durandeau & Perreault have backfired big time

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No excuses to miss the playoffs, defintively needs some changes this offseason. I don’t know if he did those trades but Sedgwick trades for Durandeau & Perreault have backfired big time
Sedgwick was named Laval GM on March 6th.

Perreault arrived on March 7th.

Durandeau was acquired on March 11th.

Given the dates, I just assumed that those had to be Sedgwick deals.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Anyway, in the end, Maillet and Andersson will go. We will have to do better as far as vets are concerned. Please.

And Houle will stay. that's my prediction.

Sedgwick was named Laval GM on March 6th.

Perreault arrived on March 7th.

Durandeau was acquired on March 11th.

Given the dates, I just assumed that those had to be Sedgwick deals.
Perreault was insanely bad. I thought Durandeau for some odd reasons was treated unfairly. Everytime I watched him he had some jump and created chances. Contrary to passenger Perreault.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyway, in the end, Maillet and Andersson will go. We will have to do better as far as vets are concerned. Please.

And Houle will stay. that's my prediction.
How much roster turnover are you expecting by next season?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
There's so much we can do in the AHL. There are a couple of kids coming.

Players I'm expecting to see gone:
Norlinder
Cederqvist (though, maybe they like him as a 4th line filler. He has the size)
Andersson
Maillet
Keeper
Durandeau (If I'm him....I'm already on a plane....I'd be pissed off)

Out of today's lineup, you will add Beck, Mesar, Davidson, Simoneau, Gignac

And I guess we'll see Perreault back.....maybe a final year to his contract will wake him up.

But I'd like to see at least 2-3 big time AHL scoring vets.

As far as the Rocket guys....maybe it's time to say bye to Bourque. McKay? Keep him I guess if you can. Jandric and Galipeau are gone though Galipeau isn't a bad player. But there's so much room. Kaskisuo...that's interesting in net...I don't know. If not him, find another vet.

Reactions: Runner77

Fatbiggie

Unregistered User
Jul 30, 2005
Durandeau had 4 pts in the last 3 games, but hard to score if they don't dress you.
Durandeau wasn’t too bad but I still take Legare over him. Not his biggest fan but his role was clear. Can’t rationalize Perreault vs Mysak. Mysak was working hard and one of the few who knew what to do in D zone

Reactions: jrom and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What was squandered, what could have been … :amazed:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Neither struble, Xhekaj or gignac contributed to the Habs success this season. Xhekaj and struble were literally put in development situations in Montreal. This wasn't keeping PK Subban in the minors circa 2010. Gignac was literally just a reward contract and few games, at an inopportune time I might add.
I don't have strong feelings either way on Houle as I can see the arguments from both sides but this post of yours dismissing the development of Struble and Xhekaj is pure horse manure.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Yeah, he was our 2nd line center in 2022 when we finished last in the league and drafted Slafkovsky. Lol He may have scored in Florida.

He left that summer to go back to Arizona (they drafted him), but played this past season in the Swiss League. He's still only 29. He is an excellent center at this level, and has a tremendous work ethic. He would be #1 C. Gignac #2.
I have little memories of his play. He was energetic and good IQ. Wasn't the fasted skater and a bit tiny. Wasn't affraid of heavy traffic for a small player. He was the RHP ahead of his time, or a slightly better Hudon.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What I’d like to see implemented next year …

Add play-ins.

Uniform high quality cam feeds with multiple angles and close ups from all AHL arenas.

Make all Rocket jersey numbers visible (can’t believe they never addressed this).

Mine more individual player stats (such as TOI which are basic):

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

The neck on Dauphin though. The length, the width. That guy was destined to be a minor leaguer forever.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The neck on Dauphin though. The length, the width. That guy was destined to be a minor leaguer forever.
I noticed that while he was a Hab ...

hNmBj6Q.gif

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Lots of the vets will be gone. We know Andersson is leaving and I think another one but can't remember who.

So:
Andersson is out.
I wouldn't keep Maillet and Keeper, we can get better fits.
I think Bourque is done.
Cederqvist should be gone.

Galipeau we can keep as #9 or something. Or let him go.
50/50 on keeping Stephens depending on who we think we can get and who else we sign.
Durandeau/Norlinder gone unless Houle is gone and we think another coach can turn them around.
McKay keep or replaced by another vet tough guy.

Gignac, Simoneau, Perreault and Condotta obviously stay as they have a contract.
I would keep Bisson, Davidson and Kaskisuo.

Roy - Gignac - VET
Farrell - VET - Heineman
Kidney - Beck - Mesar
Davidson - Condotta - Simoneau
Perreault, Tuch, McKay/Goon, some depth via signing Durandeau, lesser prospects or UDFAs
Xhekaj (might be CHL)

Hutson (or Struble) - Reinbacher
Bisson - Mailloux
Engstrom - VET
Trudeau, Tourigny, (Galipeau or other depth)

Dobes
Kaskisuo
UDFA

If Hughes makes some space, maybe Roy and both Hutson/Struble start on the Habs. If so, it mostly just puts people one spot up. Just get more AHL/ECHL depth and maybe another vet depending who is available.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad