Laval Rocket: Laval Rocket at Utica Comets 7:00 pm

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Laval, despite the decent talent, was always going to start the year slower because those guys coming in from the junior ranks had to get adjusted to the AHL. I expect the second portion of the year to be much better and for them to contend until the end for a playoff spot.
While I do agree with the logic, should 30 other teams not face the same issues? Stability isn't as much of a thing in the AHL compared to the NHL.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Houle also explicitly said that playing with Xhekaj has helped Mailloux in his play / development.

Honestly if the Rocket can make a push towards a playoff run, I'd leave Xhekaj / Roy there and send them RHP, Beck, Mesar, Reinbacher to finish their season
What about Hutson?

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
What about Hutson?

I know Beck and Mesar’s presence depend on their playoff run.

For the NCAA players I figure they will want to burn a year of their ELC in order to sign so while it would be nice I don’t think we will see them in Laval (Luke Tuch in Laval would be a god fit but if he signs I expect him also to play in the NHL).

Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
While I do agree with the logic, should 30 other teams not face the same issues? Stability isn't as much of a thing in the AHL compared to the NHL.
Before the season started, we had a few discussions over the team lack of vets and we expected more of the prospects to be send to the ECHL, but they were not. AHL teams aren't usually as green as the Rocket is this season.

They started the season with 8 kids starting their NA pro career (6 of them are on the team right now, Struble graduated and Mesar was sent down to the O after 2 games). And the team had the greenest presence in net with Dobes beings fresh out of the NCAA and Mann having only 20 AHL games under his belt last season (why Kasimir was signed to a PTO).

Reactions: Miller Time

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Before the season started, we had a few discussions over the team lack of vets and we expected more of the prospects to be send to the ECHL, but they were not. AHL teams aren't usually as green as the Rocket is this season.

They started the season with 8 kids starting their NA pro career (6 of them are on the team right now, Struble graduated and Mesar was sent down to the O after 2 games). And the team had the greenest presence in net with Dobes beings fresh out of the NCAA and Mann having only 20 AHL games under his belt last season (why Kasimir was signed to a PTO).
Maybe so but Struble, Farrell, and Dobes aren't traditional prospects having all played out their NCAA careers and being 22 years old. Even Davidson played an extra year of junior, he could have been in the AHL last season. Kidney, Mailloux and Roy were the only ones jumping from junior at the proper age. Kidney didn't even get a big role and was frequently scratched, it was the vets who caused the Rockets' early season struggle. I wouldn't say it's adjustment so much as Houle actually giving the non-vets ice time now. Straus Mann was also a very perplexing signing, there's no way they expected to have Primeau in Laval. Vet injuries are what got Mysak and Kidney in the lineup.

Texas are a far younger team that had many prospects coming in and are first in their division because their supporting vets are far better. Stankoven is the only rookie playing an impact role.

Obviously when you sort by experience Laval is third to last, but Cleveland is dead last in that category and top of the division and Rockford is second to last and closer to the middle.

I don't think the experience is the key factor, as Manitoba also has that many prospects who are doing quite well, but their vets and particularly their goalies are shitting the bed. I think it was far more likely related to poor vets and Houle not using his best players.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Can we get some Dobes love in here? A lot of people said some unkind things about him early when he was adjusting behind a team who was also adjusting to the AHL
Settled goaltending has been the biggest factor in this team's resurgence. Even with all the kids their struggles early on cost us a number of games.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah he's got enormous offensive upside. I've been fairly high on him but I didn't think he would look this good. He's closing the gap between what he's projected to score in a full season and what PK did in his rookie year. Which is pretty flipping insane.
You have to imagine he's still growing into his frame which also affects his balance and coordination. He will learn how to use that big frame to rub people off the puck and he has the ability to make tape to tape outlets. That in itself will help improve his defensive posture by leaps and bounds.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Can we get some Dobes love in here? A lot of people said some unkind things about him early when he was adjusting behind a team who was also adjusting to the AHL
Him and the team have gone on one helluva run. I often ignore our goalies irrationally from the frustration born out of relying on them for 30 years lol.

But this has been an awe inspiring 180 for him. You don’t make that kind of adjustment as a rookie at the pro level so convincingly without being a helluva prospect.

Ironically and (sort of) annoyingly enough he might be our top prospect on that team. Not saying that definitively as we’ll see how long he can keep this up but man…really impressive

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad