Confirmed with Link: Lauzon to Predators for 2nd RD 2022.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This is the first good thing I've seen from GMRF.
Signing McCann was bad? Picking Gourde in the expansion draft was bad? How about Dunn?

I think there is way too much negativity about certain decisions Francis has made. May be better to wait through this TDL, off-season and draft to see what our team looks like for next season first.

Also, what was your real expectation from Francis. Not individual moves but when did you expect him to ice a good enough team for us to make the playoffs? 2023-24? Sooner? There are so many moving parts as a GM that I don't think its fair to sign him off on the basis of the expansion draft. Lets give him some time.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Guess Soucy is staying.
That would be my guess too. Unless Soucy gets moved for a haul and we bring back some average overpaid (making 2M or so) for now. The way Soucy got utilized this year seriously made me think he would be the one being moved and Lauzon the one who would be brought back

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
That would be my guess too. Unless Soucy gets moved for a haul and we bring back some average overpaid (making 2M or so) for now. The way Soucy got utilized this year seriously made me think he would be the one being moved and Lauzon the one who would be brought back

Moving both Lauzon and Gio, they are moving out a lot of their PK minutes. Will be interesting to see who gets those minutes now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Can't turn down a return like that. Lauzon had some decent flashes of maybe being more than a physical bottom pair guy but just made too many mistakes to be a guy you want out there close to 20 minutes. Think Borgen can play the role of physical bottom pair guy but without the penalties. Think the team could use a little more toughness. Oleksiak is the only guy left who can throw down well and you don't want your highest paid defensman having to do that too often.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Well, Borgen has played on the pk, when allowed in the lineup, and they'll probably have to pick up a couple of players()waiver wire) anyways.

Still, a 2nd rounder für Lauzon is good value.

Reactions: The Marquis

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
A second is better return than some of these deals but I also think that's giving up on Lauzon too soon. imo he still hasn't reached his full potential and Nashville will be very happy with this deal.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Love this one a ton. Wanted Lauzon gone and would have taken a 4th.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
A second is better return than some of these deals but I also think that's giving up on Lauzon too soon. imo he still hasn't reached his full potential and Nashville will be very happy with this deal.
This

Hakstol greatly misused Lauzon, and it wouldn't surprise me if Nashville ends up developing him into a solid top four option.

That said, a 2nd is still pretty good value for Lauzon right now, so I don't really mind the gamble.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
With Dunn, Oleksiak, Larsson and Soucy around Lauzon wasn't getting a look in the top 4 without an injury. He showed flashes but so has Fluery and Borgen, even C. Fluery looked ok when he played. Even if Lauzon breaks out its still a good deal for Seattle, got a 2nd for a 3rd pair defender.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
With Dunn, Oleksiak, Larsson and Soucy around Lauzon wasn't getting a look in the top 4 without an injury. He showed flashes but so has Fluery and Borgen, even C. Fluery looked ok when he played. Even if Lauzon breaks out its still a good deal for Seattle, got a 2nd for a 3rd pair defender.
Except Hakstol did not play Lauzon as a third pair defender here, at least not in the traditional sense.

If you strictly stat watch and don't watch the games, and just look at icetime, that might be the takeaway, as he was usually 5th in total time on ice, but he played nearly all season at even strength with either Larsson or Dunn, and you can't really say that those pairings were bottom pairings.

Hakstol was not playing those pairings sparingly or controlling matchups. And Lauzon was second in PK time on ice.

He was behind Gio, Larsson, Dunn and Oleksiak in even strength ice time, but those four rarely played as two pairings, as Lauzon was almost always paired with one of them.

If he were truly a bottom pairing D on the team, he would have been paired with the defenders that had the least amount of icetime (Soucy/Fleury/Borgen), which almost never happened.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Except Hakstol did not play Lauzon as a third pair defender here, at least not in the traditional sense.

If you strictly stat watch and don't watch the games, and just look at icetime, that might be the takeaway, as he was usually 5th in total time on ice, but he played nearly all season at even strength with either Larsson or Dunn, and you can't really say that those pairings were bottom pairings.

Hakstol was not playing those pairings sparingly or controlling matchups. And Lauzon was second in PK time on ice.

He was behind Gio, Larsson, Dunn and Oleksiak in even strength ice time, but those four rarely played as two pairings, as Lauzon was almost always paired with one of them.

If he were truly a bottom pairing D on the team, he would have been paired with the defenders that had the least amount of icetime (Soucy/Fleury/Borgen), which almost never happened.

He was always 5th or 6th choice. Hakstol jumbled the pairings up too much to have truly defined pairs. When Hakstol figured out what he had in Soucy he then was exclusively on the bottom pair with Dunn. Lauzon benefited from a string of injuries, first Giordano with Covid, then Oleksiak and onto Soucy. He got his ice time up and played higher up when those happened. When fully healthy he was 6th choice.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
He was always 5th or 6th choice. Hakstol jumbled the pairings up too much to have truly defined pairs. When Hakstol figured out what he had in Soucy he then was exclusively on the bottom pair with Dunn. Lauzon benefited from a string of injuries, first Giordano with Covid, then Oleksiak and onto Soucy. He got his ice time up and played higher up when those happened. When fully healthy he was 6th choice.
This is just not even remotely true.

For a large chunk of the season when 8 D were healthy, Lauzon was on the ice on the opening faceoff with Larsson.

And he's always had more even strength ice-time than Soucy.

The game before they started to sit Gio, Lauzon was second in Even strength time on ice, and that lineup had Gio, Dunn, Oleksiak, Soucy and Larsson in it.

The idea that Dunn, Oleksiak, Larsson and Soucy are the top four is great on paper, but if you actually watch the games, Larsson-Dunn pairing bleeds break aways, and the Larsson-Oleksiak pairing was a train wreck the few games Hakstol tried it.

Dunn doesn't play the right side, and Oleksiak had a couple of really poor games when Hakstol tried him there early in the season.

So those pairs don't work.

Hakstol loves to switch up lines and pairings, even in the middle of periods, and Lauzon tended to sit more as the games went on, but the Dunn pairing has never been the third pairing, not by ice time or any metrics anyone can try to make up.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
This

Hakstol greatly misused Lauzon, and it wouldn't surprise me if Nashville ends up developing him into a solid top four option.

That said, a 2nd is still pretty good value for Lauzon right now, so I don't really mind the gamble.
true. My real problem with the deal is Lauzon is still young, and imo much better than Borgen.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
true. My real problem with the deal is Lauzon is still young, and imo much better than Borgen.
I want to see what Borgen can do when given a chance to play more than once every few weeks.

He's had some decent games and remember, he had only had played 9 NHL games before this season.

Give him some time to settle in, and I think he might surprise us. Right now, he is all energy and nerves when he gets in the lineup. If he calms down and plays smart the way he did at St. Cloud St., I think he could surprise a lot of people.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I want to see what Borgen can do when given a chance to play more than once every few weeks.

He's had some decent games and remember, he had only had played 9 NHL games before this season.

Give him some time to settle in, and I think he might surprise us. Right now, he is all energy and nerves when he gets in the lineup. If he calms down and plays smart the way he did at St. Cloud St., I think he could surprise a lot of people.
Yeah. I think Borgen has looked good in flashes. Just like Lind has. Give them 4-5 games in a row and see what they can really do.

Reactions: Irie

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021

I don't hate Borgen, but do you honestly think he's better than Lauzon?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad