Lauri Korpikoski

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Looks like he just needed a change of scenery.

McLellan: “Everybody is important, but Lauri for me is bringing trust, you can play him in all situations. He’s not perfect, but he tries to play the right way all the time“

1297761951456_ORIGINAL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We are missing Gordon but Korpi's play has taken away some of the sting.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
We are missing Gordon but Korpi's play has taken away some of the sting.

I kind of wish we had a solid 4C and Letestu was our 3C at the moment. No offense to Lander but I'd like to throw Lander on the wing with RNH and Hall temporarily.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
he has more points, more goals, more blocked shots and better +/- than sam bennett

lol

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
That quote by McLellan sums him up well. Not a perfect player, but does what he's asked to well enough. He's played all over the lineup.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
he has more points, more goals, more blocked shots and better +/- than sam bennett

lol

Flames have now switched Sam Bennett to 3rd line center. They bounce him all over the lineup game to game. He's also missed a game because of injury.

The kid seems a bit lost out there, and is having no impact on the game anytime I've watched him this season.

It's ironic that Flames fans constantly accuse the Oilers of rushing prospects, but we have Draisaitl developing in the AHL, while Bennett flounders in the NHL.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I wasn't enthused with the pick up and I'll come clean on that but I need more time in determining how much of a value this player has here.

The more and more I read about the Yotes collapse in recent years I'm hearing that gradually a lot of the players on that club just stopped buying in and that the last couple seasons particularly it was harder to get that buy in. With an absolute collapse of the team last season. I watched the Yotes a lot last year because I'm a fervent Sam Gagner fan. (not making this up) :D. Unfortunately Sam was paired with Korpi, who was a points production anchor much of the year. I have a hard time forgetting that Korpi had 1 EV goal last year while paired with a pretty solid passer like Sam Gagner.
People attribute Korpis fallback to an ankle injury last season but his production had declined before that. I think like other players on that Yotes team Korpi lost faith and interest and stopped playing well.

I prefer players that don't lose their compete level just from being on a bad club and that persevere through that.

Sure Korpi looks good now but we know he's nosedived before and is a player that is capable of that. We seem to have a lot of players like Purcell, Pouliot, Korpikoski who have shown at times indifferent effort through their careers. 5yrs ago one couls say Korpi was a consistently hard worker. But I don't know we can say that today.

In anycase a good pk and he does seem to bringing his best effort here presently. it isn't a given that this is ongoing. .

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He's been awesome on the PK. Has great instincts and is hard on the puck.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I'm going to eat crow on this one. Based on what I'd seen last year, I think I called him one of the worst players in the NHL...heh.

Certainly doesn't look like that now.

I'll still reserve high praise until later in the season to ensure he doesn't 'return' to his old ways but, so far, he's doing well on both sides of the puck.

For the team's sake, I hope it continues.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I'm going to eat crow on this one. Based on what I'd seen last year, I think I called him one of the worst players in the NHL...heh.

Certainly doesn't look like that now.

I'll still reserve high praise until later in the season to ensure he doesn't 'return' to his old ways but, so far, he's doing well on both sides of the puck.

For the team's sake, I hope it continues.

Dougie Hamilton down the road here is the early frontrunner for that distinction this season.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
He's a nice, veteran depth option. The last two GMs had an astonishingly hard time finding players like that (although MacT did bring in Gordon and Hendricks, I suppose) so its nice to finally see that kind of player back in Edmonton.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
1.47 GF/60 and 3.68 GA/60 when he's out there on the ice at 5on5.

I think I'll wait before passing judgement on him. He wasn't good in Arizona but was supposedly recovering from injury.

I actually think he's looked ok/decent so far but not ready to declare him a solid player.

If he can at least tread water defensively, serve on the PK and add the occasional goal and use his speed to good use... well he can be a decent roster asset. 7 games is not enough time to say either way which way he'll end up.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
1.47 GF/60 and 3.68 GA/60 when he's out there on the ice at 5on5.

I think I'll wait before passing judgement on him. He wasn't good in Arizona but was supposedly recovering from injury.

I actually think he's looked ok/decent so far but not ready to declare him a solid player.

If he can at least tread water defensively, serve on the PK and add the occasional goal and use his speed to good use... well he can be a decent roster asset. 7 games is not enough time to say either way which way he'll end up.

You've managed to be more negative about the topic than Replacement. Congrats :sarcasm:

I've really enjoyed his play so far, and with Letestu and Lander, I haven't really noticed the absence of Gordon much at all.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
He's been good. Klink is probably done here because of that, though.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That quote by McLellan sums him up well. Not a perfect player, but does what he's asked to well enough. He's played all over the lineup.

On the forward group we currently have that's exactly what we need. There is a lot of tinkering and probably going to be more once Eberle comes back. Having a vet guy that you don't have to worry about just makes McLellan's job that much eaiers.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
You've managed to be more negative about the topic than Replacement. Congrats :sarcasm:

I've really enjoyed his play so far, and with Letestu and Lander, I haven't really noticed the absence of Gordon much at all.

A little off topic but I'm struggling to notice a huge difference between Letestu and Gordon personally. Gordon was, obviously, stronger in the faceoff circle but in general, they seem like the same player to me.

Letestu is little less reckless and physical and a little more cerebral than what I'd expected.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I really like what he's brought.

Reliable two-way guy, plays physical enough and has been a huge part of the PK(ranked #1 in the league right now).

Slatsmsg

Jul 14, 2011
Airdrie
I kind of wish we had a solid 4C and Letestu was our 3C at the moment. No offense to Lander but I'd like to throw Lander on the wing with RNH and Hall temporarily.
This...I have been thinking this for a couple of games now...Lander would work nicely on the wing with Hall and Nuge.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
i was surprised people were upset with the trade.

Yes Gordon was a warrior but we probably don't know the whole story about why he was moved. The return is great, though. Korpikoski was HFgod status probably less than a full season ago.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
I've got all the time in the world for hard working, defensively responsible, tough nosed Fins. Some of my favourites all time have been this type of player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad