Lauri Korpikoski vs. Roman Voloshenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend*

I was hoping that some people who actually seen Lauri Korpikoski and/or Roman Voloshenko play could shed some light on which of the two is the better OFFENSIVE player. I couldn't care less about their defense, their physicality or lackthereof, or their health.

I've read the scouting reports on both of them, but would REALLY appreciate it if some people could offer their opinions on these two players. The reason I ask is because I've seen the Avs taking Korpikoski at #21 in two mock drafts(TSN and the Forecaster), but I seem to be under the impression that Voloshenko is the better pure offensive talent.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

X-SHARKIE

I'll take Lauri Korpikoski over Roman any day of the week, Although you did say best offensive talent....well Lauri is a great skater, he is a horse down low, and he is very smart, He is a very complete offensive player, his playmaking abilities, and his finishing abilities are pretty equal, although is creativity and vision are arguably his strongest points, and his skating and work ethic.

Roman Voloshenko has the best finishing ability arguably in the hole draft. He was amazing at the U-18's. He's most dangerous on the powerplay. His skating isn't all that bad, witch seems to be his only knock, I think scouts well take him higher them most think. He read the offensive zone like a Joe Sakic or Brett Hull, amazing shot, very very accurate and hard shots, Only 2nd to Robbi Schremp in terms of best hands in the draft IMO.

WHo I would take? Well just based on offense, Voloshenko.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
X-SHARKIE said:
Roman Voloshenko has the best finishing ability arguably in the hole draft. He was amazing at the U-18's. He's most dangerous on the powerplay. His skating isn't all that bad, witch seems to be his only knock, I think scouts well take him higher them most think. He read the offensive zone like a Joe Sakic or Brett Hull, amazing shot, very very accurate and hard shots, Only 2nd to Robbi Schremp in terms of best hands in the draft IMO.

What's his main weapon? Wrister? Slap shot? Or does he use an array of shots?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The thing that seems very good about Voloshenko is that he doesn't appear one sided. From what I read, in addition to his finishing ability, he has soft hands, great patience with the puck, and is a good passer. He's certainly becoming more intruiging to me.

That said, I like Korpikoski the most out of a lot of players, and he's my hope for the second Pens pick. He seems like a very exciting guy.

I just wish I could see some of these guys play instead of read about them.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:

Interesting. I know THN referemces his goal scoring ability, but every scouting report I've read has Voloshenko as a very creative playmaker as much as anything, even more than a pure scorer. His vision and passing abilities have been consistently referenced more than his scoring abilities. Admittedly, I've never seen him play, but he certainly hasn't been seen as a pure sniper

Korpikoski seems to be more of an all around player in terms of work ethic and offensive ability. Probably a safer pick - because it sounds like he would do fine on an eventual third line - while Voloshenko seems to have as much, if not more, pure offensive ability. Roman is probably a higher risk, but higher offensive reward type of player.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
The two are quite different. Korpikoski is a high-energy guy who uses speed and flash to back off defenders, drive to the net etc. Voloshenko is a thinker who doesn't try to beat players with footspeed or high-paced razzle-dazzle. Voloshenko reminds me of a Jason Allison type- great vision, passing, low panic time, holds on to the puck well. Korpikoski does everything at a more frenetic pace.

My analysis? Korpikoski is the safer bet- he will play. But Voloshenko could be a home run pick or a bust.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Roman Voloshenko, from what I've read about him, seems alot like Vojtach Polak of the 2003 draft. The chances of those types succeeding are extremely thin, so if you have enough depth among your forwards, take the chance, but being the Avs, they should take the safer bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad