Confirmed with Link: Laughton re-signed, 2 years $2.3 M AAV (Thread From 2019)

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
And Provy is not getting 8 mill, zero chance
I've thought from the beginning they were going to hold him out until last to get his agent sweating, implying there's only so much money left and hey, he did just come off that dog turd of a season. Then we get Provy locked in with term. I hope that was the plan and if so I hope it gets pulled off.

If we don't like Laughton anymore after 2 years we can get rid of him and then have Provy on a team "friendly" deal (quotes because guns were held to heads) for 4/5/6 more.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I read EVERY post here. And not ONE said it was a great deal by fletcher. Not one. But many pointing out an overpay of 100-300k. So to say fletcher supporters are sensitive is an outright distortion. Posters are just sick of hearing the same crap about every move he makes.

We’ll stop saying it when it’s not true for every move he makes. That’s the big problem here, not the small overpay for Laughton in particular. You can live with one or two but it’s every time he does anything - we always tip 15%!

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
We’ll stop saying it when it’s not true for every move he makes. That’s the big problem here, not the small overpay for Laughton in particular. You can live with one or two but it’s every time he does anything - we always tip 15%!

It doesn't matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true. We didn't 'overpay' on laughton. We gave him market rate.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
It doesn't matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true. We didn't 'overpay' on laughton. We gave him market rate.

Exactly. People coming up with an arbitrary number in their head and then using their number to complain about a signing that is market value.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
If Laughton had gotten paid more than Armia or Dan Heinen then I would have agreed that he was overpaid. His contract slots in right where it should.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghosts Beer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Heinen is better than Laughton, and got more money.
That's usually how it works.

Laughton was paid his market value, and if the prospects emerge this year, he's easily moved at the TDL or next summer if they need that cap room, or he's a top 4th line forward.
If they don't emerge, he's a solid 3LW, capable of 30-40 ES points and good defense at LW (not so much at center).
Either way, he's developed into a reliable PK guy.
Low risk, high reward move.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
How was the Dale Weasel or B.Schenn contract?

What was wrong with the Schenn deal? The contract and the trade were great value. DW was a brazen disaster and it’s hard to justify any part of, don’t make the mistake of thinking I’m a Hex diehard. He just had a lot more positives than negatives.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
For the record, I think it’s hilarious that the critics call those of us who are indifferent like “Fletcher fans” who are out to defend every Fletcher deal, while the critics themselves get referred to as “big Hextall lovers” who love the Hextall and are mad that the GM is no longer Ron.

These are two completely uncharismatic grey-haired hockey executives we’re talking about. I don’t think too many on this board are specifically “fans” of either who are sitting at home gluing glitter hearts to our respective Ronnie Heartthrob or Chuckie Feelings posters.

Last edited:

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018

Sorry. Thought it was well not we’ll. Lol.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Just a side thing, you know this is HF when a completely nothing player gets traded for futures gets its own thread on the main boards only because it deals with Toronto, yet Laughton's thread started today and not yesterday :laugh:. Sorry, had to get that out and laugh a little bit.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Danton Heinen - two years / 2.8 million aav
24 years old
2018-2019
13 mins per game
11 goals
23 assists
34 points
27 ES points

Joel Armia - two years / 2.6 million aav
26 years old
2018-2019
15 mins per game
**57 games**
13 goals - 19 goal pace over 82
10 assists - 14 assist pace over 82
23 points - 33 point pace over 82
16 ES points - 23 point ES pace over 82

Alex Iafallo - two years / 2.45 million aav
25 years old
2018-2019
16 mins per game
15 goals
18 assists
33 points
27 ES points

Arturri Lehkonen - two years / 2.4 million aav
24 years old
2018-2019
15 mins per game
11 goals
20 assists
31 points
31 ES points

Scott Laughton - two years / 2.3 million aav
25 years old
2018-2019
14 mins per game
12 goals
20 assists
32 points
30 ES points

Anyone who thinks this deal is an overpayment is flat out, unequivocally, 100% incorrect.

Last edited:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
24 years old
2018-2019
13 mins per game
11 goals
23 assists
34 points
27 ES points

26 years old
2018-2019
15 mins per game
**57 games**

25 years old
2018-2019
16 mins per game
15 goals
18 assists
33 points
27 ES points

24 years old
2018-2019
15 mins per game
11 goals
20 assists
31 points
31 ES points

25 years old
2018-2019
14 mins per game
12 goals
20 assists
32 points
30 ES points

Anyone who thinks this deal is an overpayment is flat out, unequivocally, 100% incorrect.
Man it's. Great to read reality.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
That’s the gist of all my posts. Everyone who bashes fletcher points it out as an overpay. And no one has said it was a steal. No one. But if you point out, as you did, how it is at worse an average deal you are branded an unrealistic fletcher supporter who defends him blindly. And the same people who criticize every move, brand themselves as just being “realistic”. It’s truly comical.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
24 years old
2018-2019
13 mins per game
11 goals
23 assists
34 points
27 ES points

26 years old
2018-2019
15 mins per game
**57 games**

25 years old
2018-2019
16 mins per game
15 goals
18 assists
33 points
27 ES points

24 years old
2018-2019
15 mins per game
11 goals
20 assists
31 points
31 ES points

25 years old
2018-2019
14 mins per game
12 goals
20 assists
32 points
30 ES points

Excellent breakdown. There’s no question that Laughton’s contract is completely in line with the current market for players of his ilk.

I understand why some don’t like the idea of paying these guys over $2M. I don’t like it either, but that’s inflation.

Laughton is still very tradeable, & I like the idea of a better defensive center in his place. But, since he is still fairly young, they likely want to see how he does under Vigneault, & that’s probably a good idea.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Excellent breakdown. There’s no question that Laughton’s contract is completely in line with the current market for players of his ilk.

I understand why some don’t like the idea of paying these guys over $2M. I don’t like it either, but that’s inflation.

Laughton is still very tradeable, & I like the idea of a better defensive center in his place. But, since he is still fairly young, they likely want to see how he does under Vigneault, & that’s probably a good idea.
I am perfectly fine with the argument that the Flyers would be better off going with Rubtsov or Vorobyev as the fourth line center for under a million dollars, as opposed to paying Laughton 2.3 million. I don't agree with that argument, but I get the logic behind it and it's sound. What I have a problem with is people saying this deal is an overpayment, or that Laughton is an AHL'er. The former comment is flat out wrong, and the latter is utterly ridiculous.

I think the Flyers perspective is this. Laughton is a former first round pick who at 24 years old had his best season yet. He has the versatility to play fourth line center, or in a third line wing spot. I think they want to see where he goes over the next couple of years and he could end up being a third line winger for them this year. In the mean time they have several prospects who will continue to develop and get better, and hopefully replace him and his production at a cheaper rate down the road. For Laughton the two year deal makes sense because if he has a couple more years like he just did he could actually cash in with a long term deal on the UFA market as we see really good bottom 6 guys cash in every year.

The deal makes perfect sense for both sides, and is right in line with his market value.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I am perfectly fine with the argument that the Flyers would be better off going with Rubtsov or Vorobyev as the fourth line center for under a million dollars, as opposed to paying Laughton 2.3 million. I don't agree with that argument, but I get the logic behind it and it's sound. What I have a problem with is people saying this deal is an overpayment, or that Laughton is an AHL'er. The former comment is flat out wrong, and the latter is utterly ridiculous.

I think the Flyers perspective is this. Laughton is a former first round pick who at 24 years old had his best season yet. He has the versatility to play fourth line center, or in a third line wing spot. I think they want to see where he goes over the next couple of years and he could end up being a third line winger for them this year. In the mean time they have several prospects who will continue to develop and get better, and hopefully replace him and his production at a cheaper rate down the road. For Laughton the two year deal makes sense because if he has a couple more years like he just did he could actually cash in with a long term deal on the UFA market as we see really good bottom 6 guys cash in every year.

The deal makes perfect sense for both sides, and is right in line with his market value.
I ultimately think Rubtsov will indeed take over the 4C role, & when he does Laughton can be traded or moved to wing. They can easily move Pitlick to the 13th roster spot if needed, also.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I ultimately think Rubtsov will indeed take over the 4C role, & when he does Laughton can be traded or moved to wing. They can easily move Pitlick to the 13th roster spot if needed, also.
I actually think Rubtsov is the odds on favorite to win the last forward spot out of camp assuming they don't end up signing a veteran. The Flyers aren't going to rush Frost or Farabee just because fans want them to and while their upside is much greater Rubtsov is probably more NHL ready right now.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad