Confirmed with Link: Laughton re-signed, 2 years $2.3 M AAV (Thread From 2019)

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Bit of an overpay, but I can live with it.

People saying that Laughton won't get much usage clearly don't realize how often AV plays his 4th lines :sarcasm:
Teams that win can match 4th liones against the best. Great deal and laughter will play on the 3rd line for AV IMO.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Teams that win can match 4th liones against the best. Great deal and laughter will play on the 3rd line for AV IMO.

Laughton excels on the 4th line & is an okay 3rd liner. Using him in a role where excels (4th line) over one where he is average (3rd line) seems like optimal lineup optimization.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I like Laughton and am glad he's sticking around for a fair price.
His role isn't what we were once hoping for given his draft position but it's always cool when your draft picks stick with the team for contract #2.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Hopefully with the new contract he’ll get a real effen barber. Dude looks like a serial killer.
His dead stare always reminds me of Jim Moriarty from Sherlock.

moriarty_james_3139.jpg

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I actually think Rubtsov is the odds on favorite to win the last forward spot out of camp assuming they don't end up signing a veteran. The Flyers aren't going to rush Frost or Farabee just because fans want them to and while their upside is much greater Rubtsov is probably more NHL ready right now.
You may be right. I think Farabee is pretty NHL ready, though. He’s a complete player. If he can win battles against bigger players in preseason, I think he’s in. And he has that rare knack on the boards, so I think he can do it even if he’s still filling out.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Laughton is the perfect stopgap. Can play wing or C, 4th line or 3rd line, on a cheap contract with no term, so is easily tradable when other kids prove better/ready. Could be later this year, could be next summer.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Laughton is the perfect stopgap. Can play wing or C, 4th line or 3rd line, on a cheap contract with no term, so is easily tradable when other kids prove better/ready. Could be later this year, could be next summer.
Yeah, is what it is. The alternative was cutting him, which wouldn't make sense.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
That JVR deal was great when they signed it, made the Hayes deal that much worse in comparison.
What was so great about it? If he continues his injury problems, that contract is awful. Anything high-money/long-term has inherent risk. Hayes' contract is much better than JVR when you think about it practically.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
I expect Laughton to have a big year. We'll remorse if he moves to another fanbase.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
This contract is okay, I guess, just o.k. nothing special.
So far Fletcher hasn't impressed me the least when it comes to contract negotionations. Don't expect any bargain deals because Mr. Nice Guy will always pay the market value.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This contract is okay, I guess, just o.k. nothing special.
So far Fletcher hasn't impressed me the least when it comes to contract negotionations. Don't expect any bargain deals because Mr. Nice Guy will always pay the market value.

You should never expect bargain deals. Players and agents are doing everything in their power to get paid above their market value and negotiations usually settle at or around actual market value (which is exactly where Laughton ended up). I expect market value.

Bargain deals are usually due to luck with timing. Like Ghost signing his extension after a really tumultuous sophomore season and Coots signing his while he was still being used as a middle 6 center that hadn't yet broken out.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’m so excited to see the turd polishing contradictions if Provorov gets overpaid.

Suddenly getting a contract, based solely on your play the previous year, might not be the excuse anymore. Suddenly people will care about context, before and after that one season. It’s going to be magical.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I’m so excited to see the turd polishing contradictions if Provorov gets overpaid.

Suddenly getting a contract, based solely on your play the previous year, might not be the excuse anymore. Suddenly people will care about context, before and after that one season. It’s going to be magical.

Have to see what his peers get, but anything over 7 will be an over pay imo.

The market will dictate Provy deal imo.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Laughton has been on an upwards trajectory the past 2 seasons. It's not the exact same scenario as Provorov where he was really good for 2 then took a step back in his contract year. That makes Provy a little less predictable. His previous contributions AND his role going forward and what they think he is capable of will all be a factor, but I am sure he cost himself some money with the season he just had.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
We needed to sign Laughton. Fletcher did so and didn't overpay him so what's with all the 'meh' talk?

Seriously, what do some of you guys think that GMs do?

"Hey Scott, I'm going to offer you 1.5 million dollars AND ten <dramatic flourish> coupons for a free entree on any order of $25 or more at Denny's. So, let's just get your signature right here!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad