Confirmed with Link: Laughton re-signed, 2 years $2.3 M AAV (Thread From 2019)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Nashville thought Subban could be 100%, they never would have traded him, they are in full contention mode and you don't trade a top 5 defenseman, you make other moves to create cap room.
It doesn't make sense to essentially trade Subban for Duchene.

On the other hand, Subban did have a good playoff series. So there's probably something left in the tank.

But: "Subban and the Predators are scheduled to meet with doctors Sunday to discuss how to treat what is believed to be a herniated disc, according to Sportsnet."

For NJ, they don't have to pay Hughes big money until Subban is off the books.
Flyers don't have that luxury, they'd need that $9M in year 2 and year 3 to sign their RFAs.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Watch him pot one tonight and get back into that 30 point pace range where as one of the best 4th liners in the league he belongs.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Amazing 4th liner I think, maybe an acceptable 3rd line winger dependent upon the other two players. Definitely not a 3rd line center or a universal 3rd liner. In my opinion.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He's a good 4th liner, a solid 3rd line winger, and a bad 3rd line Center.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Back injuries tend to scare teams off. Gardiner can't get any contract at all.

He finally did get one.

NJ might have been better off signing him than trading for Subban. I found out yesterday I can't post quotes from other boards in here, but the Devils fans are not super happy.

Reactions: Tripod

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
He finally did get one.

NJ might have been better off signing him than trading for Subban. I found out yesterday I can't post quotes from other boards in here, but the Devils fans are not super happy.
Just goes to show you how much a partner like ekholm can impact your performance. I don't know who Subban gets to play with, but I imagine it isn't much better than having hagg anchoring your pairing.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Amazing 4th liner I think, maybe an acceptable 3rd line winger dependent upon the other two players. Definitely not a 3rd line center or a universal 3rd liner. In my opinion.
amazing? Draper was amazing. Laughton has long way to go before someone can call him amazing.

Reactions: ArchAngel55

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
amazing? Draper was amazing. Laughton has long way to go before someone can call him amazing.

Maybe a tad hyperbolic, but he's the most I can expect from a great 4th liner. Fast, enough skill to chip in points occasionally, not a liability. Also, I could have a case of faulty memory here since it's Draper and I'm not a Detroit fan, but if memory serves he was a legit 3rd liner for at least some part of his career.

In my opinion, people who expect more than what a Laughton can bring to a 4th line don't really have realistic expectations of a 4th line.

Edit: Yeah, just checked, Draper had a high of 40 points in 67 games and 24 goals in his career. Don't think I expect Laughton or any 4th liner to ever get anywhere near those totals.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Maybe a tad hyperbolic, but he's the most I can expect from a great 4th liner. Fast, enough skill to chip in points occasionally, not a liability. Also, I could have a case of faulty memory here since it's Draper and I'm not a Detroit fan, but if memory serves he was a legit 3rd liner for at least some part of his career.

In my opinion, people who expect more than what a Laughton can bring to a 4th line don't really have realistic expectations of a 4th line.

Edit: Yeah, just checked, Draper had a high of 40 points in 67 games and 24 goals in his career. Don't think I expect Laughton or any 4th liner to ever get anywhere near those totals.
I am not even talking points... let Laughton show that he can be solid on PK for a season or two, play well against top NHL lines and be effective or do something in playoffs.. Maybe start small, how about leading a 4th line night in and night out.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I am not even talking points... let Laughton show that he can be solid on PK for a season or two, play well against top NHL lines and be effective or do something in playoffs..

I mean, points is the most conventional measure for the caliber of a player, especially over the course of a career as long as Draper's. Either way, it's fine if you evidently don't think much of Laughton. I think he's about the most you can realistically expect of a 4th liner. Agree to disagree.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Laughton is a fine 3LW, a meh 4C and a bad 3C.
Again, fit and chemistry matter.
JVR - Hayes = bad chemistry
Laughton - Hayes = good chemistry (so far).

Laughton has offensive skills, good skater, good shot, but he doesn't have center skills, especially defensive instincts.
So the move to LW has let him focus more on offense, I've said before at LW he's a potential 20 goal scorer.

The shame with Vorobyev is he is a true center, and would be a perfect fit at 4C, but just hasn't shown anything at the NHL level yet.
But this year he's returned to the AHL and has raised his game instead of sulking, so maybe he's finally turning the corner.

Reactions: TheKingPin

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I remember deadhead pencelling in Laughton in that 3LW spot and I was very skeptical because I didn't think he had it in him to be a top 9 player on a team with the depth we have this year.
He's proving a lot of people wrong. Laughton-Hayes-Farabee has been a really good line and Laughton is a big reason for that.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The Laughton-Hayes-Farabee line has statistically and visually been mostly awful the last few games, in spite of a few bright spots here and there.

They're also getting overused. It's a problem.

And I say that as someone who likes Laughton and has defended him for a long time.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I really don't care what the fancy stats say about that line. They've been productive and they've looked good. Hayes can still be a bit frustrating, but at least he's started producing.
Laughton and Hayes have been among our most productive players since they've been put together.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Laughton is a fine 3LW, a meh 4C and a bad 3C.
Again, fit and chemistry matter.
JVR - Hayes = bad chemistry
Laughton - Hayes = good chemistry (so far).

Laughton has offensive skills, good skater, good shot, but he doesn't have center skills, especially defensive instincts.
So the move to LW has let him focus more on offense, I've said before at LW he's a potential 20 goal scorer.

The shame with Vorobyev is he is a true center, and would be a perfect fit at 4C, but just hasn't shown anything at the NHL level yet.
But this year he's returned to the AHL and has raised his game instead of sulking, so maybe he's finally turning the corner.

I remember deadhead pencelling in Laughton in that 3LW spot and I was very skeptical because I didn't think he had it in him to be a top 9 player on a team with the depth we have this year.
He's proving a lot of people wrong. Laughton-Hayes-Farabee has been a really good line and Laughton is a big reason for that.

came here to say just that. Deadhead got one right. Laughton has looked very good at the 3LW.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They kinda haven't looked good as a line, as far as the eye test goes. Laughtons had good moments as an individual though. He's not to blame for the lines struggles.

The fact that their fancy stats are so bad, even while producing a bit, suggests that their current burst of scoring isn't sustainable and won't continue. But I know that short term scoring (or lack thereof) is something that gets hyper-focused on around here by some. I doubt Hayes 27% shooting or Laughtons 30% will continue, but that's just me.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad