Confirmed with Link: Laughton re-signed, 2 years $2.3 M AAV (Thread From 2019)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It definitely became insufferable because some people are actually labelling some posts on the first page as "outrage" which is hilarious.
The real outrage is the responses to any post that points out any level of criticism. :laugh:

"Meh, not great"
"OMG YOU GUYS HATE EVERYTHING!"

But that hypocrisy goes over most heads.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
$600K overpayment when taking into EvolvingWild’s contract projection of 2 years,
$1,698,760 AAV. Overpayments can add up. Fingers crossed that TK & Provorov’s deals end up being reasonable.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
The real outrage is the responses to any post that points out any level of criticism. :laugh:

"Meh, not great"
"OMG YOU GUYS HATE EVERYTHING!"

But that hypocrisy goes over most heads.

I dont understand how those conclusions are drawn, its annoying as f***. Just like when you say "I prefer guy X to guy Y based on their impact in situations XY or YZ" = ZOMG YOU ARE THE Y HATER. I rarely go here through the summer and there are so many posts like this from the "we are fair and you are hater" brigade every time, its insane.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I dont understand how those conclusions are drawn, its annoying as ****. Just like when you say "I prefer guy X to guy Y" = ZOMG YOU ARE THE Y HATER
People are ultra-defensive of anything Fletcher does, so any tiny critique is taken as a massive attack.

They see their hockey mentalities as tied to him and his Bias for Action. So when you viciously and mercilessly attack him (lol) they take it as a personal attack too.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Meh, a little much, but I'm Laughtons biggest fan so I'm not too worried about it.

For reference, his two most common linemates last year were Raffl and Simmonds, so the 32 points definitely isn't bad. Problem is, I don't know if he can repeat that number and he's almost certainly seeing less usage next year.

It what it is. Laughton probably would have gotten a similar number at arbitration given his point totals & ice time last year which suggested he was a third line guy. Unfortunately not a lot of context goes into these things league wide.

I guess you’d would have hoped Fletcher could have squeezed him out a little bit less given that he should not or hopefully be playing that much next year. As well as his entire body of work to this point.

Reactions: BernieParent

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Oh no, Fletcher overpaid by 1oo-200 k per year :rolleyes:

More like $500k. And that on its own isn’t a problem, but he keeps doing it. Giving a 2nd where it should be a 3rd. An NMC when the money itself should have sufficed. $2.5m instead of $2m.

In the cap era this kind of reckless abandon adds up. I really don’t like Fletcher and can see why Minnesota were happy to be rid.

Reactions: Lurch

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
More like $500k. And that on its own isn’t a problem, but he keeps doing it. Giving a 2nd where it should be a 3rd. An NMC when the money itself should have sufficed. $2.5m instead of $2m.

In the cap era this kind of reckless abandon adds up. I really don’t like Fletcher and can see why Minnesota were happy to be rid.

That's really my suspicion at the moment...I'm afraid Fletcher doesn't dig into the details as much as I think a GM should.

This goes back to the whole buying out Schlemko move -- we save little this year but lose 600K next year. I don't know if we'll need the money, but I'm not sure Fletch does either.

It's little moves like that added together that make them significant. I'm not saying Fletch has done anything very stupid (yet), but he's starting to form a pattern in my mind. What he does with the TK/Provy contracts will help calm my opinion of this potentially.

Reactions: Hexy4

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017

500k isn't going to hurt us lol. Also he isn't overpaid when you look at what guys are getting now. We have to understand that contracts change with new salary cap now. I don't get how people can get mad at this. Laughton is a great 4th liner who is versatile, can kill pk's, has nice speed, good on the dots, and can play wing as well. You need 4th line guys like him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It what it is. Laughton probably would have gotten a similar number at arbitration given his point totals & ice time last year which suggested he was a third line guy. Unfortunately not a lot of context goes into these things league wide.

I guess you’d would have hoped Fletcher could have squeezed him out a little bit less given that he should not or hopefully be playing that much next year. As well as his entire body of work to this point.
Yeah, based on raw context-less totals it seems fair, but even my love of the guy can't trick me into thinking that'll be his consistent level of production.

Not only should he not be on the 3rd line anymore, but our improved depth (basically having 2 2nd lines) should mean the 4th line plays less than it did.

If this were an isolated incident it wouldn't even be mentioned, but the fact that this is becoming a trend is what's worrisome. I'm just becoming more and more afraid of this Provorov contract because as Fletchers sample size gets larger, we can make a better guess on what his future moves will look like.

People keep saying "it's just x-amount!"... but it adds up fast. Everything matters.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We’re basically paying for his usage bump last year which made his surface numbers look better. He was fifth in total ice time last year amongst forwards & eighth in average ice time amongst forwards at 5v5.

He also garnered 30 ES points playing with subpar wings for the most part.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Go look at comparables, they're all getting $2-3M, some of whom weren't as productive as Laughton.
People confuse what they'd like to pay in a lowball with the market rate.
The only way you could get that AVV down would be to give him 4 years.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Starting to get worried. 12.7 million with provorov and konecny left to be resigned and probably a player on an elc in the 3rd line rw spot. Leaves about 11.5 to 12 for tk and provy. Provorov gets 7-8ish and tk? Have to squeeze him in at under 5? We're super vulnerable to an OS right now

Doing the math also it makes sense why he bought out schlemko now too

Laughton should have been left out to get done until #s on provorov and tk are finalized

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Go look at comparables, they're all getting $2-3M, some of whom weren't as productive as Laughton.
People confuse what they'd like to pay in a lowball with the market rate.
The only way you could get that AVV down would be to give him 4 years.

i would've been fine with that too but it all comes down to the player/agent and whether they want a shorter term as well

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Starting to get worried. 12.7 million with provorov and konecny left to be resigned and probably a player on an elc in the 3rd line rw spot. Leaves about 11.5 to 12 for tk and provy. Provorov gets 7-8ish and tk? Have to squeeze him in at under 5? We're super vulnerable to an OS right now

Doing the math also it makes sense why he bought out schlemko now too

Meh, not really. Could flip Braun to another team if we really want to I'd imagine.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Why are people calling this an overpay? What did we think he would get? His cap hit was $2 million last season and he had a career high in points. Did you think he would agree to just accept the same contract? Seems like $300k increase after a career year is pretty fair.

Reactions: flyersNducks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad