Laughable Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENSible1*

The Messenger said:
Not a bad Idea .. Award him to the most profitable team last season .. They show the best business sense and should be awarded for it ..

I like it ..

Actually the best criteria of business sense would be points per dollar spent. I'd suggest the teams with the highest PP$ over the last 5 years should get Crosby.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Thunderstruck said:
Actually the best criteria of business sense would be points per dollar spent. I'd suggest the teams with the highest PP$ over the last 5 years should get Crosby.
PP$ means nothing if your team has lost 20 mil doing business..

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Boltsfan2029 said:
Seems to me using the criteria of best business sense + success the Flames and the Lightning should be leading contenders... :D

Indeed. The Lightning actually won an index based on that by a lot.
:)

Lanny MacDonald*

I would suggest that the team that finished the lowest in points over the past three seasons should get the first pick (they may not elect to draft Crosby for some reason) and do with it what they will. If the Rangers want it so badly they can do what other teams have done in a similar position and make a trade for the pick. The Rangers have some good prospects and should be able to put together a pretty fair offer. Probably not enough to get Crosby, but enough to generate conversation.

NYIsles1*

RangerBoy said:
New York loves winners.When the Knicks were a competitive team during the Pat Riley and Jeff Van Gundy eras,the Knicks were a hot item in NY.They are going to miss the playoffs for the third time in four seasons.The Knicks are irrelevent in NY
You have to stop living in the past. It's 2004, not 1994 or 1980 when the Islanders got the front page for winning the cup and the invite to the Canyon of Hero's.

Your point on Basketball is dead wrong. It will never be irrelevent here win or lose. Go compare the Knicks and Nets coverage today vs hockey's coverage when they were still playing. Basketball has double all three hockey teams on it's best days in the regular season. Hockey has no columnist. (Brooks is a beatwriter, Sherry Ross is a part-time writer.)

The Nets are far more popular than the Rangers and dominated the back pages when they went to the finals.

The Post basketball section has two articles per team per day and Peter Vecsey's hoops column which brings info on all the teams. For the Rangers to get two articles in one paper on a gameday they would have to make a trade or sign a player.

RangerBoy said:
The Rangers have missed the playoffs for seven straight years.Most the fans and the media are apathetic towards them but if they it around,the media coverage will be there
Why? Because they were there a decade ago. Things have changed, back then the media knew the hockey player, now they don't.

RangerBoy said:
The Devils?They don't count.The New York media pays no attention to them

If Sidney Crosby were a Ranger and the franchise turns it around,hockey will become hot again in New York because the Rangers are the only hockey team which counts in NY
Your wrong. The New York media has been completely apathetic toward Ranger hockey for six months win or lose with some of the biggest stars in hockey, which also included the Rangers going to the semi-finals in 1997 and going down to the final days for a playoff spot in 2003 or being nine games over five-hundred in first place in Dec 2001.

That marginal coverage when the Devils won was all about this hockey market's media perception, not just the Devils. It's about Mike Lupica (who in the 80's nicknamed Nassau Coliseum "Fort Neverlose") and Mike Viccaro last summer claiming if the Rangers folded 18,000 people would care and that's it, which is all they care to be bothered writing about hockey unless a Moore-Bertuzzi incident happens so they can justify their non-coverage.

It's also about Russo and Francesa on WFAN not being able to name ten local players on the three teams much less talk about a game. Russo during the World Cup claimed if he talked about that he would not be employed the next day....That's hockey's perception in New York City today.

RangerBoy said:
Before the Yankees started winning WS titles,the team was drawing flies in the Bronx.
Back then baseball only had 40m dollar teams and an off-season, which is why media people and casual fans still paid attention to hockey back then. But that's over for this market. The seven million sports fans attending baseball games have spoken and the media writes about what the public is interested in.

That's not hockey, not here.

A Good Flying Bird*

NYIsles1 said:
Brooks should do his homework.

Team USA used NationWide Arena for the World Cup Exhibition games and drew far more fans than Msg ever would have.

The Rangers are invisible in NYC and could not get anyone interested in teams with some of the biggest stars in hockey. Crosby is completely unknown here except to hockey diehards.

On Crosby's best day he is superstar #25 in NYC.

Unless he's going to the Yankees or Mets pick another place because in baseball's largest market there is nothing the NHL can do to get the general media or the public to be bothered with Crosby or hockey. Baseball is THE 365 day story.

Maybe the right lottery is to award Crosby based on smart business management. Least money spent for each win on avg per team...

I love the Columbus Arena district.
But I must take issue with the WC exhibitions.
I went to the Canada USA tilt and 30 percent of the seats were empty.
And I'd say that a good 50 percent of the fans were wearing Team Canada jerseys. Another 5 to 10 percent of the people there were wearing Red Wing jerseys.
It didn't look like the City Of Columbus was coming out to support team USA. If anything, I was a little disappointed by the lack of USA jerseys and Blue Jacket jerseys in the arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad