GDT: Latvia vs Sweden @ 12:30pm PT/ 3:30 ET/ 9:30pm CEST

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
What is really going on with him? I have watched two games from Sweden in this tournament, and he seemed to be doing a pretty convincing imitation of an invisible man in both of them. Swedish posters here, would be interesting to hear you opinion, why he has had such a quiet tournament? I mean I liked him very much in the U18 tournament in the spring. Now he has looked like a shadow of what he was then.

That does sound seriously bad, I habe to admit. o_O
No skater, other than Andrae, is playing up to their potential. When the entire team unperformes it is quite obviously coaching at fault. I would not read to much into any Swedish skaters performance at this tournament.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
No skater, other than Andrae, is playing up to their potential. When the entire team unperformes it is quite obviously coaching at fault. I would not read to much into any Swedish skaters performance at this tournament.
That is most probably the case here. A bad coach can really bring down most of the players, if not even all of them by at least some amount. I honestly feel that with better coaching (Pennanen sucks too) Finland would also get much more out of most of our players. But at least some of our players have flourished offensively under him. But practically the whole team has been trash defensively. And he also pretty much messes up the line chemistries with too many questionable line choices. I guess Monten is doing something like that too, but probably his problems are more with his offensive tactics rather than the defensive play?

Reactions: Papitao

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
Is the Latvian program turning the corner? This can't be just because the tournament is missing players and being played in the summer, because they're missing players too. Of course, they had the benefit of bringing the majority of the team that got them in position to take the spot. You can be smart and well-coached to the end of time, you make strides when you have skill, and they seem to have way more skill than any previous Latvian team I've seen
Nothing new in Latvian development programs, as far as I know.
Whether or not this is the most skilled Latvian team is up to debate, since in the first half of the 2010's we had teams with Merzlikins, Blugers, Girgensons, who are all NHLers now, and were drafted really high by Latvian standarts. This years team lacks those obvious "next ones".

But this team definitely:
1) Is one of the deepest, if not the deepest ever;
2) Has the best coach ever in Abols, who was the hc of several KHL teams.

Too bad this years tournament came after the draft. Some guys would have certainly been noticed. One of the best tournaments in Latvian hockey history, adult ones included. Glad for our guys.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Maybe it is coaching
So many world juniors Sweden is always a possession monster and their players always flash high end skill with elite zone entries

this tournament they can barely maneuver the neutral zone, let alone have a controlled entry, and every player is skating into traffic.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Stupid of Canada to let the Swiss back into it so quick. Switzerland historically always plays Canada stingy. Could’ve used the lead to force the Swiss into making mistakes and expand the lead, instead we’re back to playing their game.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Too bad the Montén era didn’t end the way it deserved. With a humiliating QF loss against a objectively way less talented opponent. No offense. And I say this as a swede. This coach did not deserve a place in the semi finals.

Although my thoughts about Montén are pretty much obvious for most people on the international board by now.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
@Eye of Ra congrats on this heavy upset win ! Truly surprising that the Swedes made it to the top 4 even if it means they will get destroyed in the next two games
When was the last time that Finland destroyed Sweden? It never happens. Always close games. They are better than us but still always close becaue of rivaly.

But yeah, Canada and USA would crush us,

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
The hate for Sweden here is somewhat surprising. Hating on Canada are not. They are always the team to beat. Sweden are almost never. So why all the hate on the 4-6th best team? Didnt u get food from a Swede u visited or did u hate the fika or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad