Latvia 2011 watch

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I know that Zemgus Girgensons has a chance to be the highest drafted Latvian in history but I heard a few other unpronounceable names may be high rounders as well. Anyone have anymore info?

I'll be very happy if there will be another player drafted at all, let alone going in "high" rounds. That said, there are few players that look reasonably well. A lot will depend on how well our U18 team will fare in WC.

Helpoing

21st c schizoid man
Jun 28, 2011
Riga
I read that Blugers (F, 1994) is the second best Latvian prospect after Girgensons. Kalvitis (D, 1994), Jelisejevs (F, 1994), Potapovs (F, 1994) seem to be good players as well, but I doubt any of them will get drafted. U18 will mean a lot, indeed. Then Gudlevskis (G, 1992) will be draft eligible and he has all the chances to be the starting goalie at U20.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Next talented Latvian is bukarts who is for 2014 draft. I want to see Zemgus! Is Latvia playing wjc this year?

Helpoing

21st c schizoid man
Jun 28, 2011
Riga
Next talented Latvian is bukarts who is for 2014 draft. I want to see Zemgus! Is Latvia playing wjc this year?
Yeah, you're correct, he's younger and won't be able to participate in the draft this year, but he's not that young to go only in 2014. 2013, right?

Girgensons played at WJC last year, this year he'll also be invited.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Yeah, you're correct, he's younger and won't be able to participate in the draft this year, but he's not that young to go only in 2014. 2013, right?

Girgensons played at WJC last year, this year he'll also be invited.
Bukarts is indeed 2014, as his birthday is 12/31/1995.

2012 eligibility - 9/16/1993 - 9/15/1994
2013 eligibility - 9/16/1994 - 9/15/1995
2014 eligibility - 9/16/1995 - 9/15/1996

Buddhaa

Feb 12, 2006
Riga, Latvia
I know that Zemgus Girgensons has a chance to be the highest drafted Latvian in history but I heard a few other unpronounceable names may be high rounders as well. Anyone have anymore info?

Given the limited exposure of 2012 draft eligible players playing in Latvia to scouts, I think there are three players who might be drafted in 2012 (all to play in NA this year):
1) Girgensons (should go in the 1st round);
2) Theodor Blueger (Forward) (most likely to play for USHL as he was drafted in the USHL draft this summer by Sioux City Musketeers; potential mid-round draftee, according to NHL Central Scouting Preliminary Future's list - http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=69970);
3) Kristaps Bazevics (Defence) (drafted in CHL Import draft by WHL team Prince Albert Raiders; here is his profile: http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=67151; whether he is drafted will very much depend on his performance during the next season).

Others are really long-shots at this point.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I love Latvian hockey fans, aren't as crazy (stupid?) as Finnish fans but they can drink alot and are loud as hell. They deserve good hockey players. How big sport hockey is at Latvia? And how popular is dinamo Riga compared to other clubs in Any sport.

Helpoing

21st c schizoid man
Jun 28, 2011
Riga
Bukarts is indeed 2014, as his birthday is 12/31/1995.

2012 eligibility - 9/16/1993 - 9/15/1994
2013 eligibility - 9/16/1994 - 9/15/1995
2014 eligibility - 9/16/1995 - 9/15/1996
Thanks for explaining.

So yeah, Girgensons and Blugers (or Bluegers, Bļugers) are supposed to be the guys that get drafted.

I love Latvian hockey fans, aren't as crazy (stupid?) as Finnish fans but they can drink alot and are loud as hell. They deserve good hockey players. How big sport hockey is at Latvia? And how popular is dinamo Riga compared to other clubs in Any sport.
You should visit this topic, it covers the popularity of hockey in Europe.

But to make a long story short, we love hockey and Dinamo Riga is by far the most popular sports team in the country.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Thanks for explaining.

So yeah, Girgensons and Blugers (or Bluegers, Bļugers) are supposed to be the guys that get drafted.

You should visit this topic, it covers the popularity of hockey in Europe.

But to make a long story short, we love hockey and Dinamo Riga is by far the most popular sports team in the country.

Love that Latvia gonna get Top talents Zemgus is top 10 prospect in some rankings, and all the things i've heard from bukarts who has first round talent aswell. I don't know what he plans to do Stays at Latvia, CHL or top european junior league. But over 2 PPG against adults as a 13-14 years old. I think he should go in top european Jr. leagues and try to crack into top team. I doubt he comes to Finland, but he could have good shot at making top team, there is not very good prospects in some systems, We all know how SEL U-20 league developes players best developement league after CHL.

Welcome, ZEMGUS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-tESjJGFE

Helpoing

21st c schizoid man
Jun 28, 2011
Riga
Love that Latvia gonna get Top talents Zemgus is top 10 prospect in some rankings, and all the things i've heard from bukarts who has first round talent aswell. I don't know what he plans to do Stays at Latvia, CHL or top european junior league. But over 2 PPG against adults as a 13-14 years old. I think he should go in top european Jr. leagues and try to crack into top team. I doubt he comes to Finland, but he could have good shot at making top team, there is not very good prospects in some systems, We all know how SEL U-20 league developes players best developement league after CHL.

Welcome, ZEMGUS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-tESjJGFE
I hope Bukarts stays in Latvia and they give him a chance in the MHL (in 2012 he'll be 16 and we can ask the league to allow him participate in the current season starting with January after he passes all the medical tests).

I had to laugh at Latvian commentators on the video you posted:
"- He'll be lucky if he gets only 2 minutes.
- Yeah, there was an elbow..."
Are they blind or is it the first time they're commenting a hockey game? :laugh:

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Lol wow what a hit, was that against men?

One of the youtube tags is u-20 and the clip was added on December 19, 2010, so it's most likely from the Division 1 WJC's (Latvia's final game last year was against Belarus on that day).

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Jelisejevs (F, 1994), Potapovs (F, 1994)

I think one of those guys is in the Muskoka league or the Ontario development league...and the other one in the Swedish development league...I recall both being well over 1 ppg.....but the leagues are pretty bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad