Latest Hit On Skinner May Have Been My Last Straw ...

WalkerBabe

Oct 26, 2007
Raleigh NC
as far as being an NHL fan. This has taken me from being a "new fan" for over ten years now to not believing the league is at all serious about "head hunting." I was thinking of taking the next step to being a STH ... But if what was done to Skinner is legal, then I'm not sure I want to support this league anymore. The hitter knew damned well what he was doing to Skinner, or likely to do, and if that is okay with the league, if that is legal, I don't think this game is for me.

I wonder about the wisdom of small guys like Skinner, no matter their talent, being allowed into the NHL before the age of 21 or so, when both their bodies and minds have matured (someone Skinner's size, with his talent is a perpetual target) ... if, as Rutherford says, "this is playing with the big boys." I don't think I have the stomach for it anymore. :(

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Hitter standing straight up with arm tucked = legal hit.

I daresay I don't want "new fans" if they think that hit was headhunting. Man's game, keep your head up.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It is incredibly tough to watch these kids come up hurt on hits like that, and that's why it's important to educate them coming up. Unfortunately, I don't think Skinner was ever classically trained to play hockey. I think his major focus in his formidable years was on figure skating until it was discovered that his hockey talent was transcendent. Those years are critical in learning positive habits that will protect you on the ice.

The dangers in the CHL were less obvious because there is generally a more conservative style there and since he was and is such a fantastic skater, he avoided a lot of the extra hits. He's involved in learning on the fly right now and there are many factors going that don't do him any favors.

I thought the hit was high. I think Cowen got his forearm up and made contact with Skinner's head. I also think that his intentions were to deliver a clean body check of the kind we generally appreciate to see. I won't be as tough as others here regarding your opinion about head hits, I despise them as much as anyone regardless of sweater color, but inside the context of the game these hits are still somewhat legal. The NHL is terrified, despite what its fans think, of delivering a diluted product and being "sissified" the way that NFL fans in their barbaric wisdom bristle at any change designed to make that game safer for its participants. It has been said many times, but I don't think fans will be receptive to any significant changes until a player dies on the ice. Just the same way that speaking about nets for fan protection was sacrilege prior to the untimely death of that little girl. Unfortunately, it takes a long time to break tradition and try something new to protect players. The same rhetoric was dispensed about helmets being mandatory, now to visors being mandatory, to touch up icing being eliminated, to removal of the redline, to any other controversial issue. The fans that love the game will stay with it as it evolves, and the barbaric dinosaurs will be ushered out as the life long consequences of this brain game become more clear and harder to watch. There is nothing the common fan can do but wait for league wide recognition and hope that nobody ELSE has to die in the interim.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I think the hit was ok. Really don't have a problem with it if I put my emotions aside.

Skinner has a history of putting himself in bad spots and this time Larose did it for him. Someone really needs to sit him down and teach him to keep his head up and not make himself vulnerable. I sincerely hope the team is doing everything they can to educate him, not only as a fan of this team but as someone who doesn't want to see a young man have to suffer through concussion after concussion and an early end to his career.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
. Man's game, keep your head up.

This quote, more than anything else about the hit, annoys the **** out of me. Skinner wasn't skating with his head down--and didn't even have the puck when Cowen lined him up. Cowen figured the pass was coming to Skinner and already started going towards Skinner when Larose gave him the suicide pass. Even if Skinner didn't accept the pass, he was still going to get laid out because Cowen had committed to the hit. Then the debate would just be over interference--but all of the "manly" fans would just say the puck was at his feet anyway--so fair game. Maybe Skinner should learn how to duck and start taking out big people at the knees on those types of hits....

WalkerBabe

Oct 26, 2007
Raleigh NC
Hitter standing straight up with arm tucked = legal hit.

I daresay I don't want "new fans" if they think that hit was headhunting. Man's game, keep your head up.

Man, you sound like some of the NFL fans AND analysts used to, when they didn't enjoy a football game unless somebody got their bell rung! Disgusting ... always wonder if people like that enjoy dog-fighting as well.

Vagrant, ONO94, very thoughtful posts!

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Man, you sound like some of the NFL fans AND analysts used to, when they didn't enjoy a football game unless somebody got their bell rung! Disgusting ... always wonder if people like that enjoy dog-fighting as well.

Sens1Canes2: You disagreed with me, you're a barbarian.

Vagrant and ONO94: You agreed with me, that means you must've thought about it.

:sarcasm:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Some interesting quotes..for whatever it's worth.

"They wanted to take precaution, take a look at him," said Kaiton. "I was told that when it first happened that it wasn’t as bad of an injury and he could have come back to play. That all goes well for him to be able to play this weekend."

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 2m
Muller says hopeful Skinner can play against Flyers.

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 3m
Muller says still waiting on results on few Skinner tests

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 5m
Muller says Skinner may play on weekend

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm pretty strong about my feelings about us rushing kids. I said it at the time I didn't agree that skinner should be up. There is no saying I hate more around here than "he's got nothing to learn at that lower level". You can always learn more, and sometimes just learning how to take hits and grow into your body is the thing needed. Just because you have the skill level doesn't mean you should be playing. Skinner has shown maturity issues, and has been stubborn about learning where he can and can't go. This hit has nothing to do with all that though.

Reminds me of my sutter rants back then. He wasn't ready, he's lucky he didn't get hurt worse. He absolutely could've worked on his offense.

I wish no 18-19 year old played unless they were granted "exceptional" status, which of course would be a tough thing to control.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Dog fighting? Really? "Those types" of people you refer to are more likely to like MMA, boxing, rugby, etc. which are all much more violent than football or hockey. If you want to look down on them for that, fine, but don't lump all people who like to see someone get hit hard (within the confines of the rules) in with the POS criminals who take part in dogfighting.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI

Well, I'm really Michael Vick so I love dogfighting.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
You can't fully legislate hitting from the game. It was a legal hit and had it been Gleason on Conachar, the whole perspective would be different.

The comment about Skinner's focus be more on skating first before emphasizing hockey? It is wholly inaccurate. Amazing how people love to manufacture portions of their own narrative.

Well, I'm really Michael Vick so I love dogfighting.
Give it a couple of years and he'll be bum fighting. ;)

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The scary thing to me, has been the introduction of steroids into contact sports.

You've got these marginally skilled oversized guys who know their way into the NHL is to get big and lay big hits. And if they are suspended, so what. If they can stay in the NHL, they get 5 to 10x the money they get in the AHL.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Clean hit. Tough sport. Keep your head up.

His head was up. He just caught pass from behind him and turned forward as Cowan blasted him. This whole concept of skinner needs to keep his head up on a play he obviously had it up shows a lack of hockey education from some fans. It's unfortunate not all markets can have that innate and common sense in terms of the game ingrained in them. In some parts of North America, it's just not meant to be.

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
Unfortunately for Skinner, it is now too late to notice that Cowen can deliver legal hits that can hurt and/or injure a player. The message is now out there for other players.

This must be the best suicide of 2013. What was Larose thinking. He should have been aware who is on the ice. Poor Skinner had no chance. He was done the moment that pass was made. I truly hope that he is not out for long period of time.

I don't particularly like to see huge hits like this one. If the NHL was to make such hits illegal, i have no problem with it.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
No worries, Skinner and Muller think he's A-OK! But still waiting on Dr's clearance. Muller seems confident that Skinner will play this weekend. I think they all need CAT scans!

Skinner does get targeted a LOT by opposing teams. And what do the Canes do? Nothing. So, why would any other player be deterred from head hunting your star players?

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
His head was up. He just caught pass from behind him and turned forward as Cowan blasted him. This whole concept of skinner needs to keep his head up on a play he obviously had it up shows a lack of hockey education from some fans.
I think it's the knee-jerk response. A young guy gets lit up and then the muscle memory kicks in with "kid keep your head up."

Skinner does get targeted a LOT by opposing teams. And what do the Canes do? Nothing. So, why would any other player be deterred from head hunting your star players?
So I guess you were looking for a response where 3 guys challenged Cowen? ;)

TheDarkKnight

Jul 25, 2011
His head was up. He just caught pass from behind him and turned forward as Cowan blasted him. This whole concept of skinner needs to keep his head up on a play he obviously had it up shows a lack of hockey education from some fans. It's unfortunate not all markets can have that innate and common sense in terms of the game ingrained in them. In some parts of North America, it's just not meant to be.
When i say keep your head up, it doesn't literally mean his head was down. It means be aware of your surroundings and protect yourself.

The miscommunication is my bad, but I've been watching hockey since i was 5, (13 years now) so i am by no means uneducated or a "new fan". Just different opinions.

WalkerBabe

Oct 26, 2007
Raleigh NC
No worries, Skinner and Muller think he's A-OK! But still waiting on Dr's clearance. Muller seems confident that Skinner will play this weekend. I think they all need CAT scans!

TBK ... good post. Nobody is afraid of anybody on our team! :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad