Late March Mock Draft

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I hate posting it here it should still be in the prospects forum...

Standings based on 26 March before the games are all over. As I've said in the others I've done not a scouts opinion I haven't seen all the players.

1 Edmonton Oilers select ADAM LARSSON
SWEDEN DEFENSE SKELLEFTEA AIK SEL

Could go with RNH, but I'd pick Larsson. Franchise defensemen potential everyone knows about him. No real BPA at this pick, plenty of players who could go #1 so Oilers go with something that every championship team needs, a #1 2-way defensemen.

2 Colorado Avalanche select GABRIEL LANDESKOG
SWEDEN WINGER KITCHENER OHL

Colorado dying to pick Landeskog. Definition of a complete player, excellent defensively and contrary to what some people on this board think, he has plenty of offensive potential. Future captain.

3 Ottawa Senators select RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS
CANADA CENTER RED DEER WHL

Ottawa misses out on Landeskog, but get someone whose still great. The most skilled forward in the draft and a very intelligent player.

4 Florida Panthers select SEAN COUTURIER
CANADA CENTER DRUMMONDVILLE QMJHL

Toss up between me picking Ryan Strome of Couturier. I think Strome has higher upside by Couturier is a very solid 2-way player. Tallon had Toews in Chicago, and while Couturier probably isn't as good, hes still great.

5 New York Islanders select RYAN MURPHY
CANADA DEFENSE KITCHENER OHL

Best offensive defencemen in the draft in a long time IMO. Runs the offense for a team, as demonstrated in Kitchener this year. If he was 6'2 190 lbs he would definitely be in the running for 1st overall. Hes not undersized like many people believe however. Islanders get their future #1 defensemen.

6 New Jersey Devils selecr RYAN STROME
CANADA CENTER NIAGRA OHL

2 huge needs for the Devils. A center and an offensive defensemen. Strome fits the former perfectly and is not a reach. Could be the Skinner of this draft and come into the NHL next year.

7 Atlanta Thrashers select JONATHAN HUBURDEAU
CANADA CENTER ST. JOHN QMJHL

Atlanta could probably use a winger more, but I don't think theres a good enough one to take with this pick so I have them taking the BPA pick. A future top 2 centers of Burmistrov and Huburdeau looks pretty great.

8 St Louis Blues select MIKA ZIBANEJAD
SWEDEN CENTER DJURGARDENS IF SEL

Bit of a reach you may say but I don't beleive it really is. This is where this draft gets interesting and we can really see some surprises. St Louis drafts a great Swedish center who should become a top 6 player for them at the least.

9 Columbus Blue Jackets select DOUGIE HAMILTON
CANADA DEFENSE NIAGRA OHL

Drop too far? Maybe but Colubmus would love if this happens. I don't agree with the offensive potential some people think he has but hes a very strong 2-Way defencemen and should be a solid NHL'er if his offense doesn't develop like I think it won't.

10 Boston Bruins (From Toronto) select DUNCAN SIEMENS
CANADA DEFENSE SASKATOON WHL

Boston just misses out on one of the defensemen they'd like to select. Siemens is a tough, defensive defensemen, who won't be mistaken for an offensive defensemen but he does have some potential there.

11 Minnesota Wild select JOEL ARMIA
FINLAND RIGHT WING ASSAT SMLIGGA

I wouldn't rank Armia this high but theres so much ambiguity here I beleive Minnie will go with Armia. They've had luck with Finnish players and Armia should develop well with them. Good goal scorer who has to work on other areas.

12 Carolina Hurricanes select BRANDON SAAD
USA LEFT WING SAGINAW OHL

Saad has dropped quite a bit, probably because hes got the prime Powerforward size, and hes very skilled, but hes it's almost tragic hes so soft. It's a hope he'll develop a physical side as its very possbile but he'll never have that mean streak. Carolina gets a big player with great upside regardless however.

13 Calgary Flames select MARK MCNEIL
CANADA CENTER PRINCE ALBERT WHL

Big physical powerforward esque center, his stats tell of a game that he doesn't quite have but he does have more offensive upside then some think IMO. Calgary gets their center and their bleak prospect polls looks a bit better now.

14 Dallas Stars select JAMIE OLEKSIAK
USA/CANADA DEFENSE NORTHEASTERN NCAA

I hope Dallas makes the playoffs but if they don't I really hope they get Oleksiak. Like another big man Myers, he is an excellent skater at the same age, but Oleksiak is huge. With that skating and that height, he has immense upside. Dallas loves this pick.

15 Buffalo Sabres select ALEXANDER KHOKHLACHEV
RUSSIA CENTER WINDSOR OHL

The Sabres miss out on both centers they would like to pick after the Top 4 centers in Zibanejad and McNeil, but they pick Khokhlachev. They don't gennerally pick Russians but cycles can always be broken. Commited to North America and if not rushed will stay.

16 New York Rangers select MATT PEUMPAL
CANADA LEFT WING PETERBOUROUGH OHL

Fell quite a bit because of a percieved lack luster season and the injury, but Puempal still is an excellent sniper and was orginally the Jeff Skinner of this draft. New York gets a good one.

17 Montreal Canadiens select TYLER BIGGS
USA WINGER US NTDP

A lot of people would put Biggs a lot higher than me. I don't agree. Very safe NHL pick, should be an NHL player with that size and tenacity, but I think he has to work more to have the potential to be a top 6 player, and I don't think he'll ever be a 1st liner. Great pick for Montreal though.

18 Anahiem Ducks select SVEN BAERTSCHI
SWITZERLAND LEFT WING PORTLAND WHL

Becoming a Swiss haven, Anahiem selects Baertschi. Hes very talented and had an excellent rookie season in Portland. Anahiem has weak scoring depth and once Selanee is gone they'll have almost no winger depth outside the top line. Baerstchi is good to solve that problem.

19 Chicago Blawkhawks select SCOTT MAYFIELD
USA DEFENSE YOUNGSTOWN USHL

A John Carlson like defencemen, he has a lot of potential and would likely be higher if he went to Kitchener which he likely will next year. Chicago gets a good defensemen with significant potential, we'll see how he handles harder competition however.

20 Tampa Bay Lightning select NATHAN BEAULIEU
CANADA DEFENSE ST. JOHN QMHL

I am not high on Beaulieu at all and would have him ranked outside the top 30. But for a mock draft. He's a solid defensemen, but hes not anything with high potential IMO. But he's solid and moves the puck well.

21 Ottawa Senators (From Nashville) select NIKLAS JENSEN
DENMARK RIGHT WING OSHAWA OHL

Big winger who has powerforward potential, people expected at a bit more from him this season but hes got better as it went on. Ottawa gets a good winger here whose got the potential to be a top 6 powerforward.

22 Edmonton Oilers (From Los Angelas) select DMITRIJ JASKIN
CZECH RIGHT WING SLAVIA PRAHA O2

Jaskins a bit of an enimga. We don't here much about him but what we do its good. Edmonton gets another good Euro player who is better than his draft location suggests.

23 Torotno Maple Leafs (From Boston) select ZACK PHILLIPS
CANADA CENTER ST. JOHN QMJHL

Having a great year, riding a the unbeatable St John team and Huburdeau, stats don' tell the story here however. Good player with offense potential. Leafs fans really around the board with who they want, some will not like this pick.

24 Phoenix Coyotes select VLADISLAV NAMESNIKOV
RUSSIA CENTER LONDON OHL

Was much higher prior to the season, hes dropped quite a bit but there isn't a Russian factor with him. Had a solid 30+ goal season with London and has good upside. Phoenix isn't afraid to take him anyway even if he had a Russian factor however.

25 San Jose Sharks select ADAM CLENDENING
USA DEFENSE BOSTON U NCAA

San Jose goes off the board with this pick to get something they need. A PMD. Clendendings really had an underwhelming year. Was in the first round prior and now hes just dropped out. Based on that , he shouldn't be here, but San Jose takes him anyway and hopes he can develop

26 Detroit Red Wings select TOMAS JURCO
SLOVAKIA RIGHT WING ST. JOHN QMJHL

Dropped quite a bit due to an inconsistent year, he makes a lot of highlight real plays, but thats because the skills there. His work ethic suffers but regardless he has the desire and Detroit is very patient and if anyteam can develop a kid right its Detroit.

27 Pittsburgh Penguins select TY RATTIE
CANADA RIGHT WING PORTLAND WHL

I hate to have him this low, but I do. Started off strong and subsided a bit, hes still very talented Pittsburgh gets another good winger for their prospect pools.

28 Washington Capitals select JONAS BRODIN
SWEDEN DEFENSE FARGESTAD SEL

Washington is again a team with no direct need in their prospect pools, but Brodin regardless is a good pick. He’ll probably stay for a year or two in the SEL before coming over but he should solidify their prospect pools .

29 Toronto Maple Leafs (From Phillidelphia) select MARK SCHEIFELE
CANADA CENTER BARRIE OHL

One of the few picks that Leafs fans love no matter what. Scheifele has talent and hes solid on both sides of the puck. Burke loves to get him.

30 Vancouver Canucks select DAVID MUSIL
CZECH DEFENSE VANCOUVER WHL

Playing with the Giants in the same city, Vancouvers probably seen him a lot and automatically takes him. In the top 10 prior to the season hes dropped not due to bad play but because others have surpassed. Safe pick but not so much upside.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Second Round

31. Edmonton Oilers select JOE MORROW (CAN D POR WHL)
32. Colorado Avalanche select MYLES BELL (CAN D REG WHL)
33. Ottawa Senators select VICTOR RASK (SWE C LEK SWE2)
34. Florida Panthers select DANIEL CANTENACCI (CAN C SSM OHL)
35. New York Islanders select RICKARD RAKELL (SWE C PLY OHL)
36. Nashville Predators select OSCAR KLEFBOM (SWE D FAR SEL)
37. Chicago Blackhawks (From ATL) select BOONE JENNER (CAN C OSH OHL)
38. St Louis Blues select LUCAS LESSIO (CAN LW OSH OHL)
39. Colubmus Blue Jackets select PHILIP DANAULT (CAN C VIC QMJHL)
40. Toronto Maple Leafs select SETH AMBROZ (USA RW OMH USHL)
41. Boston Bruins (From MIN) select MARIO LUCIA (USA LW WYZ USHS)
42. Carolina Hurricanes select JOHN GIBSON (USA G US NTDP)
43. Ottawa Senators select (From CAL via CHI) MAX FRIBERG (SWE RW SKO SWE3)
44. Dallas Stars select STEFAN NOESON (USA RW PLY OHL)
45. St Louis Blues (From BUF) select MATT NIETO (USA W BU NCAA)
46. New York Rangers select MAXIM SHALUNOV (RUS RW CHE MHL)
47. Florida Panthers (From MON) select JONATHAN MILLER (USA C US NTDP)
48. Anahiem Ducks select CHRISTOPHER GIBSON (FIN G CHI QMJHL)
49. Chicago Blawkhawks select STUART PERCY (CAN D MIS OHL)
50*. New York Islanders (From MON) select ROCCO GRIMALDI (USA C US NTDP)
51. Tampa Bay Lightning select MICHAEL ST. CROIX (CAN C EDM WHL)
52. Nashville Predators select MIIKKA SALOMAKI (FIN C KAR SMLIGGA)
53. Los Angelas Kings select PHILLIPE HUDON (CAN F C-R USHS)
54. Ottawa Senators select COLIN JACOBS (USA C SEA WHL)
55. Phoenix Coyotes select TOBIAS RIEDER (GER RW KIT OHL)
56. San Jose Sharks select SHANE PRINCE (USA LW OTT OHL)
57. Detroi Red Wings select ZAKHAR ARZAMASTSEV (RUS D NOV KHL)
58. Pittsburgh Penguins select MARCEL NOEBELS (GER LW SEA WHL)
59. New York Rangers (From WSH via CAR) select TY WOTHERSPOON (CAN D POR WHL)
60. Phoeniux Coyotes (From PHI) select REECE SCARLET (CAN D SWC WHL)
61. Vancouver Canucks select NICHOLAS SHORE (USA RW UoD NCAA)

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Interesting mock draft. Just wanted to say Toronto was misspelled on the 23rd pick.

Some picks to think about for the Leafs. Still not hugely familiar with this draft class. But drafting some good forwards is definitely something I hope to see from the Leafs this draft.

johnnydollaz89*

i really hope thats who the NYR's get i hope he falls to us

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
So Ottawa gets RNH, Jensen and Rask with their first 3 picks? I'm on board!!!

Seriously though this a really good mock draft imo, obviously some minor things I would change but thats gonna happen with every one. Like a lot of your picks, well done!

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
My pants would be so creamy if MTL got Biggs. I doubt he falls that low though.Solid draft

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Thanks for posting the draft.

I don't know if the hawks would draft a Russian now, but if they would I would love to see Khokhlachev get drafted. The need at center is there and he's a potential sleeper.

Just an FYI - Ottawa gets Chicago's worst 2nd round pick. They have until 48 hours before the draft to tell Ottawa if they are giving them the Atlanta, Calgary or Chicago 2nd rounder. You have Ottawa getting the middle one here. Not a huge deal, but it probably will be a difference of 5 or 6 picks since either Calgary or Chicago will likely miss the playoffs.

sens61ravens

Jan 2, 2011
Really hope the top 3 goes that way, and really liked the Jensen and Rask picks as a Sens Fan all though I see them probably picking up a goalie with one of the other two seconds. Great Draft all around though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad