last years opening night lineup/this year comparison

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
it was only a year ago... but do we remember last year's lineup? that team turned out pretty good... lets see how it stacks up

2018/2019
Patrice Bergeron... still here
brad marchand... still here
david pastrnak... still here
david krejci... still here
jake debrusk... still here
our best 5 forwards are untouched

sean kuraly... still here
chris wagner… still here
danton Heinen... still here
joakim Nordstrom... still here
and david backes… still here
thats 10 of our starting forwards untouched... so who isnt here?

ryan donato.. gone... replaced by Charlie coyle? thats quite an upgrade at least for now isnt it?
anders Bjork... off to the minors... brett Ritchie is here to hold his spot... I guess some of you aint happy
noel accari... replaced by par Lindholm to save us around 800k or so in cap hit

for defense...
McAvoy is another year better... hes here
carlo is another year better...hes here
krug really improved last year and hes back
chara is going to be decided... but hes back
grezlyck looks like hes improving... and hes back
Clifton is going to start it looks like... vaakanainen started last year... that seems an improvement for now
kampfer is what he is...
then you have miller/moore… last year starters for us and this year they are like pressbox guys... we have improved

goal... no changes

where is all this talk that bruins have taken a step back? coyle is a very obvious upgrade over the team that started last year... the team last year was absolutely brutally crippled with injuries to its defense... and we still steamrolled the nhl and finished what... second overall? went to the cup finals?

where the hell is all this supposed decline other fanbases are hoping for lol? why arent our own fans more supportive of our team? other than charas age... and health issues that effect any team... wheres the chink in our armour

we have kuhlman and Bjork starting in ahl because we are too strong/too deep for these legit nhl players to make the team... we got lauzon/vaakainen/zboril not even in our top 9 depth chart for dmen...

even if it turns out we need to get a second line rw at the deadline... our cap situation is great and we got lots of picks/prospects we can easily rent a guy with

face it people... we are starting this season IN EVEN BETTER SHAPE THEN LAST YEAR... get yourselves ready to cheer... this team is going to be fun to support

go bruins go

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
mojo is the biggest loss for me. i thought he was our best most consisent forward all playoffs.

but you are correct. we have an excellent team still. that 2nd line still has a gigantic hole tho

Reactions: Lo97 and Maine Fan

member 96824

No one knew a year ago how dreadful our 3rd line would be.

Luckily we built one at the deadline.

I see us one great forward away. I’d consider trading some younger talent for that kind of player in particular guys due for raises.

Toffoli will slide in perfectly.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
it was only a year ago... but do we remember last year's lineup? that team turned out pretty good... lets see how it stacks up

2018/2019
Patrice Bergeron... still here
brad marchand... still here
david pastrnak... still here
david krejci... still here
jake debrusk... still here
our best 5 forwards are untouched

sean kuraly... still here
chris wagner… still here
danton Heinen... still here
joakim Nordstrom... still here
and david backes… still here
thats 10 of our starting forwards untouched... so who isnt here?

ryan donato.. gone... replaced by Charlie coyle? thats quite an upgrade at least for now isnt it?
anders Bjork... off to the minors... brett Ritchie is here to hold his spot... I guess some of you aint happy
noel accari... replaced by par Lindholm to save us around 800k or so in cap hit

for defense...
McAvoy is another year better... hes here
carlo is another year better...hes here
krug really improved last year and hes back
chara is going to be decided... but hes back
grezlyck looks like hes improving... and hes back
Clifton is going to start it looks like... vaakanainen started last year... that seems an improvement for now
kampfer is what he is...
then you have miller/moore… last year starters for us and this year they are like pressbox guys... we have improved

goal... no changes

where is all this talk that bruins have taken a step back? coyle is a very obvious upgrade over the team that started last year... the team last year was absolutely brutally crippled with injuries to its defense... and we still steamrolled the nhl and finished what... second overall? went to the cup finals?

where the hell is all this supposed decline other fanbases are hoping for lol? why arent our own fans more supportive of our team? other than charas age... and health issues that effect any team... wheres the chink in our armour

we have kuhlman and Bjork starting in ahl because we are too strong/too deep for these legit nhl players to make the team... we got lauzon/vaakainen/zboril not even in our top 9 depth chart for dmen...

even if it turns out we need to get a second line rw at the deadline... our cap situation is great and we got lots of picks/prospects we can easily rent a guy with

face it people... we are starting this season IN EVEN BETTER SHAPE THEN LAST YEAR... get yourselves ready to cheer... this team is going to be fun to support

go bruins go

Right now Bergeron and Krejci health are the
only issues. TB looks like they will be
dinged up down the middle to start the season
with Point and Paquette hurt.

Toronto looks healthy other than Dermott.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think having Coyle and an improved Clifton makes us better than this time last year. 3C is solved, Donato is no loss and while I personally miss Acciari, just 'cause I like his never quit attitude and commitment, I accept that Lindholm should fill that void of a 3rd/4th line extra forward quite well. We were never going to be able to afford to keep MoJo so I'm just content we got good albeit brief service from him. Our D is almost settled with fantastic depth.

2RW is an issue with no really suitable solution probably at least until the trade deadline, so we just have to find the best person we can and stick with them, whether that's Kulhman or someone else. But I think we already have the right talent to join Coyle and Heinen on the 3rd line. I was hoping that would be Bjork, and it still could/should be, but regardless of who it ends up being that's a spot we should really be looking to lock down and settle long-term ASAP.

Otherwise the big question and challenge for the Bs is keeping the veterans healthy and in form. Bergy, Krejci and Chara have all had injury issues in the last 6 months, and, while Marchand and Rask have stayed healthy they're not getting any younger either. They're all still so critical to the Bs performance so I think they're the key to how this season pans out - manage them well and keep them fit and come March we'll hopefully be in good shape for another postseason tilt, but if they miss too many games we could be in some difficulty.

That said, the Bs showed great resilience last year, and I'd back them to do so again if required.

Reactions: Lo97

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Don't know where else to put this but if we lose a player to waivers and a Sprong or Ho Sang drops to us do the B's bite?

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
This is a great post! Lot of negativity around the roster to start this year but Coyle is a massive upgrade to our 3rd line.
Heinen has gotta be better than last year.
Carlo and McAvoy will be improved
I think Debrusk is going to have a better season, and crack 30 goals.
I think come April, we'll be talking about which wildcard team we want to play.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Don't know where else to put this but if we lose a player to waivers and a Sprong or Ho Sang drops to us do the B's bite?

I wouldn't want Ho Sang ---- but if he ever gets his act together, he could be a home run with all that talent.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I wouldn't want Ho Sang ---- but if he ever gets his act together, he could be a home run with all that talent.
what seems to be the biggest issue with him? While I have read a few things about him, memory isn`t as good these days, is it his attitude and work ethic?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
what seems to be the biggest issue with him? While I have read a few things about him, memory isn`t as good these days, is it his attitude and work ethic?

I'm in the same boat. IIRC, the major issues in the past were just immaturity/putting himself ahead of the team.

Just surmising, based on the fact that he was put on waivers, that there are legit issues there.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I’m excited to see Coyle play out an entire season here. Now that he’s acclimated, I think he will have a great season. Key position locked up at 3C.

We know what the vets will bring. The question is how much (if any) progression do we see from the youth? Will Heinen increase his scoring, will DeBrusk score 30+ goals, can McAvoy take yet another step forward?

I predict the Bruins will be competing for a top seed in the East.

Reactions: sarge88

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm in the same boat. IIRC, the major issues in the past were just immaturity/putting himself ahead of the team.

Just surmising, based on the fact that he was put on waivers, that there are legit issues there.
yeah I seem to remember him being a bit of an "issue" at the Junior level too but again, my memory isn`t nearly as strong these days

Reactions: sarge88

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This is a great post! Lot of negativity around the roster to start this year but Coyle is a massive upgrade to our 3rd line.
Heinen has gotta be better than last year.
Carlo and McAvoy will be improved
I think Debrusk is going to have a better season, and crack 30 goals.
I think come April, we'll be talking about which wildcard team we want to play.

I think the negativity is just from the way last year ended. This is a top 5 roster with the best goalie in the league. I think the teams around us have just as many issues.

I think the expansion draft is more of an issue when playing GM for the future than cap room. I mean sure Kevin Hayes and Mitch Marner ripped their teams off but literally everyone else signed for a fair deal this summer I would have done.

Its a long season. I'd hope that we give certain guys games off due to age. For a back to back do something like scratch Backes first night and let him center Brad and Pasta the next to give Bergy a break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad