Last Year's Avs vs this Year's Avs

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Since everyone is comparing this year's roster to last year's, are the Avs better this coming year or this past year? (on paper, not considering salary cap)

2013/2014 Colorado Avalanche (opening game line-up)

O'Reilly - Duchene - Downie
Landeskog - Stastny - Tanguay
McGinn - MacKinnon - Parenteau
McLeod - Mitchell - Bordeleau
Cliche

Hejda - Johnson
Benoit - Barrie
Sarich - Guenin
Holden - Hunwick

Varlamov
Giguerre

2014/2015 Colorado Avalanche (assuming O'Reilly and Barrie re-sign (RFAs))

O'Reilly - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Tanguay
McGinn - Mitchell - Briere
McLeod - Winchester - Talbot
Bordeleau

Hejda - Johnson
Stuart - Barrie
Holden - Guenin
Wilson - Redmond

Varlamov
Berra

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Last year: Better offense, likely better backup goaltender
This year: more leadership

Defense is about the same :cry:

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
All your poll options are the same fyi.

I think we improved marginally defensively but went laterally offensively.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
There wasn't an option for the same offensively but I went with last year being better because I think Staz and Pap are better than Iggy and Briere. We do have more depth though for sure.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think both the F group and D group are about a wash. That's only because I know how PA did though. On paper, last years group looks better up front.

This years forward group has a better mix of guys playing roles they're suited for though, and more veteran leadership. Makes for a better balance if MacK can continue to progress and hold his own at center.

The D group is basically the same IMO, which is sad, because last years group was basically the same as the year before too. Knowing what Barrie is capable of makes it better though.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I think both the F group and D group are about a wash. That's only because I know how PA did though. On paper, last years group looks better up front.

This years forward group has a better mix of guys playing roles they're suited for though.

The D group is basically the same IMO, which is sad, because last years group was basically the same as the year before too.

That's going to be the difference maker in my opinion. It's why the Oilers have bucket loads of talent and **** performance, they don't have this.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
PAP + Staz = 126 games for 93 total points - 0.74 ppg

Briere + Iggy = 147 games for 86 total points - 0.59 ppg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

If you're going to compare the two like that, you might as well add that PAP+Staz = $11M and Briere+Iggy = $9.333M.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

Stastny and Iggy have pretty much the same production the difference comes from PAP and Briere.

PAP was given much more ice time and with higher quality linemates. If Briere was given similar ice time and linemates as PAP last season then I think Briere would have produced the same as PAP.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com

Offense

- Iggy put up 30-30 on the defensive-minded Bruins in that clutching and grabbing eastern conference. I'm sure he can do better than that with O'Reilly stealing the puck and Duchene feeding him.

- One has to assume Tanguay's health can't be any worse than this pass season, so there's that too. Should he have issues again, McGinn proved he can step up if needed last year.

- Winchester is a great 4th line C (face-offs and PK), small step below McClement.

- No/less Downie/Bordeleau/Cliche means a lot less penalties and a lot less shots missed.

- Wildcard will be Mackinnon: can he line-up against other Centres in the West (size and on face-offs)?

Defense/Goaltending

- Barring a setback in rehab, Barrie should improve from last year, when he only played 64 games, due to being a scratch early on in the season.

- Holden was a great pick-up and nice compliment to the PP

- Berra should better than Giguerre; Yes, Giggy started like 11-0, but faltered hard after, especially in shoot-outs where he was simply a pylon at best.

- Wildcard will be Stuart: can he keep up with his skating and be that security blanket for Barrie?

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Both better due to increased maturity and somehow this team seems more well rounded..
Although
I'm concerned about our number 2 goalie, and still want us to bring in a stud d man.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
I like how well rounded our offense is going into this season.

Defense is essentially a wash...

member 116861

Offensively - Getting Winchester is great for the 4th line and adds some much needed depth but PAP is a better player than Briere and Stastny is a better player than Iginla. I give the vote to 2013/2014 offense.

Defensively - Stuart and Benoit are a wash IMO but Stuart will probably be a better partner for Barrie so we did improve there. Redmond and Elliott are improvements over Wilson and Sarich. There is a lot of potential with Redmond and Elliott. 2014/2015 defense is better.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
I think Stuart significantly improves the defense, although I gather I'm in the minority in that opinion. Time will tell, but I think he's got enough left in the tank to be a real difference maker for us and be a solid number 4 defenseman.

I also think the offense improves quite a bit in the short term. I love the compete all the way through our lineup. We are going to be, as Joe Sacco would say, tougher to play against. Long term we lose out a bit, but I think the key is making sure the core 3 and ROR reach their maximum potential. Adding Iginla and Briere, as was the case with Talbot, will help them along the way. In turn our core guys will help our newer prospects make it as a strong supporting cast. I'm very happy with this offseason now.

So long as one of Siemens or Bigras (or one of these other defense prospects) turns into a #2 or better defenseman, we should be set for a long time.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I hope we do see a prospect turn out... Seems like forever we have been talking, now Barrie rising up helps.
How far along are Bigras or Seimons? Two more in ahl?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Stuart is a much better player than Benoit and Holden. Redmond/Elliott should give us optimism that we'll get more skill in the third pairing, bumping Guenin down. The defense should be better this year.

Offensively I think the team is worse simply because we don't have a line to match up with other teams best lines. It's possible the Duchene line could be. O'Reilly-Duchene-Iginla could be a beastly line if everything clicks and Duchene is getting better and stronger every year. But still I think it's slightly weaker, but not massively so. I'll trust our new fourth line, however it will look, more than I trust McLeod/Cliche/Bordeleau. Unless of course our new fourth line is McLeod/Cliche/Bordeleau. In that case I will trust it the same as last year and trust Roy less.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Defense should be much better this year due to experience alone. Offense a wash unless MacK breaks out big time, although Tanguay playing all year will make it feel better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad