Last time a Leaf forward under 20 made the team?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Tlusty was a lot more recent than Stajan.
I remember Tlusty eventually getting called up from the AHL. I think the OP is asking making the Leafs out of training camp. I do know Stajan was called up for the last game of the 02-03 season and scored a goal in it against Ottawa. The next year he made the opening night roster for the 03-04 season and played 69 games, along with 7 playoff games.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
he was 19-20

He was 18 when the season opened. (Nov. birthday) and it was absolutely a stupid decision, despite having a fairly solid rookie year. He would have been better served playing out his junior career... and the same goes for about 98% of junior age players.

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
I remember Tlusty eventually getting called up from the AHL. I think the OP is asking making the Leafs out of training camp. I do know Stajan was called up for the last game of the 02-03 season and scored a goal in it against Ottawa. The next year he made the opening night roster for the 03-04 season and played 69 games, along with 7 playoff games.

Yes, thank you. That is exactly what I was asking.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Vincent Damphousse?

He turned into a good player, but didn't have the impact at 19 that Clark had. Clark absolutely knocked it out of the ballpark his rookie year.

True say.

Besides him I cannot think of anyone else.

Really hoping to see a young forward make it out of camp and make an impact.

Absolutely. I don't think we will see another player like Clark again. He could hit like a mack truck, shoot like a sniper, and was a feared fighter. He also had charisma. A very unique player. Probably the most beloved Leaf of all time. Wore the Maple Leaf on his heart.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
He turned into a good player, but didn't have the impact at 19 that Clark had. Clark absolutely knocked it out of the ballpark his rookie year.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, Clark was the last teenager that had an impact. I think Vinny would go on to become the (much) better player, but Clark started his career in a big way

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
With the RFA contract rules and the state of the team… in NO WAY should a prospect be rushed to the NHL. I would hope we don't see Marner et al for 2-3 years.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
With the RFA contract rules and the state of the team… in NO WAY should a prospect be rushed to the NHL. I would hope we don't see Marner et al for 2-3 years.

Exactly. Why burn a year of affordable elc just to ride pine playing 8m a game?

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON

Absolutely. I don't think we will see another player like Clark again. He could hit like a mack truck, shoot like a sniper, and was a feared fighter. He also had charisma. A very unique player. Probably the most beloved Leaf of all time. Wore the Maple Leaf on his heart.

And he did it clean. Plus his wrist shot was amazing! They don't have players like this anymore - the game has changed so much. I think he falls into the same category as Scott Stevens where most of his huge hits now, would be suspendable (sadly). They way he played was also the reason his career was shortened - only 1 full 80 game season. All others shortened by knee and back injuries. Imagine a guy today who could hit like him, score 30+ goals, 200+ PIM.... that is like 3 separate players today. Who is the closest player to that today...Wayne Simmonds????

But, back on topic. It looks like it's Tlusty, Stajan, and Antropov before that. Wow....it hurts looking at the Leafs previous drafts!

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
And he did it clean. Plus his wrist shot was amazing! They don't have players like this anymore - the game has changed so much. I think he falls into the same category as Scott Stevens where most of his huge hits now, would be suspendable (sadly). They way he played was also the reason his career was shortened - only 1 full 80 game season. All others shortened by knee and back injuries. Imagine a guy today who could hit like him, score 30+ goals, 200+ PIM.... that is like 3 separate players today. Who is the closest player to that today...Wayne Simmonds????

But, back on topic. It looks like it's Tlusty, Stajan, and Antropov before that. Wow....it hurts looking at the Leafs previous drafts!

Hasn't done it....said its his goal for the 1st time ever.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

if you were to prorate that to ~20 goals in a more modern game, Byfuglien? Before that Bertuzzi and before that Lindros.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Outside of Kadri, when is the last time the Leafs have drafted a top 6 forward? Steen?

I'm talking about guys that actually made the NHL, not just potential.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Outside of Kadri, when is the last time the Leafs have drafted a top 6 forward?

I'm talking about guys that actually made the NHL, not just potential.
First player that came to my mind was Alex Steen. I know he was traded by Cliff Fletcher which was a bad move and Ron Wilson for not playing him more minutes, however I can't think of any other Forwards they drafted who had a major impact.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Does Alex Steen count? I know he was traded by Cliff Fletcher which was a bad move, however I can't think of anyone other Forwards they drafted who had a major impact.

I was editing my post as you wrote that. Yeah, he counts. But even Steen didn't put it together till his late 20s.

My point was more that we haven't had a talented enough forward to actually crack the lineup as a 18/19 year old.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Kadri played a game for Toronto when he was 19 out of training camp. And then Wilson immediately sent him down because OMG TURNOVERS! that was probably the last time a prospect forward made the Leafs under 20 years old

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad