Last Surviving Canadian Coach

Last coach fired

• Total voters

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Ottawa, Toronto, and Edmonton all switched coaches in 2019. It's pretty safe to assume that Calgary will be switching coaches soon too. That leaves 3 coaches in Canada that look to survive 2019.

Green - Vancouver
Maurice - Winnipeg
Julien - Montreal

Who's the last coach standing in your opinion.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Green should probably last the longest, but Maurice's dry humour tends to buy him several years of service beyond his coaching capabilities.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
As long as the Habs and Nucks are within striking distance of the playoffs they won't fire their coaches as their teams are "exceeding expectations" -- they were both picked to finish near the bottom. Winnipeg (barring a sudden collapse) is going to make the playoffs so Maurice isn't even the discussion really.

Between Green and Julien it's a coin flip, though maybe slightly weighted in Green's favor (of being fired) since Montreal has "language issues" and the issues that come with finding/replacing a coach under those circumstances.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Hopefully not Coach Green. Seems to have lost the lockerroom in Vancity. Think hes making worse decisions this year then last year

I thought Jets fans wanted Maurice gone?

So i voted Julien in Montreal

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Kinda surprised to hear the attitude towards Green. Always thought he got the most out of a very underwhelming roster. Competing for a WC spot this year with solid supporting analytics while dealing with plenty of injuries. He's got my vote.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think Green will be replaced by a better coach when they 'officially' end their rebuild, he's fine right now but I think there are some definite upgrades. I think Maurice will last the longest, with Julien being fired first if the keep nosediving

Kirk Mclean

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
I don’t see Green getting fired this season unless there is some sort of double digit losing streak worse than anything we’ve had in the last few years. If we miss the playoffs, especially if we’re realistically out like 3 weeks before, I expect Benning will be the one let go. From there, depending on who is brought in I would think Green would get the following year under the new GM and then it would depend on the team’s performance that year.

That probably gives Green the rest of this season and next in my mind.

is Maurice really in danger of being fired? I haven’t paid super close attention to the Jets but they seem to be over performing what a lot of people outside the market at least expected given what happened to their defense.

Julien would seem to be the likely first casualty given the way the Habs have played lately, but I get the sense the heat is more on Bergevin in that market and that Julien is still seen as a positive, especially as a well accomplished francophone HC.

To answer the question I guess my money would be on Green lasting the longest, with Julien being fired first if I had to place a bet on it.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
That's bc he started coaching at 29 not 49 like most

There are 5 coaches who have been behind the bench for more games than Maurice, he has more losses than any of them.

There are 28 coaches who have been behind the bench for 1000 or more games. Of those, only 1 (Jacques Demers) has a lower winning % than Maurice.

Paul Maurice's talent isn't coaching it's talking his way into getting/keeping NHL jobs.

Reactions: hn777

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
The five coaches who have the most regular season losses in their careers are Paul Maurice, Barry Trotz, Al Arbour, Scotty Bowman and Ron Wilson. Do you think that statistic tells us anything significant, other than the fact that they are/were in the NHL for a long time?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
The five coaches who have the most regular season losses in their careers are Paul Maurice, Barry Trotz, Al Arbour, Scotty Bowman and Ron Wilson. Do you think that statistic tells us anything significant, other than the fact that they are/were in the NHL for a long time?
If it were as simple as "lots of games coached" Maurice would also be in the top 5 for wins. He isn’t.

A couple more fun facts.
Over his career Maurice has averaged 86 points per season.
Over the course of 22 different seasons his teams have made the playoffs only 7 times and have only made it out of the first round three times.

Paul Maurice is good at getting and keeping NHL coaching jobs, not so good at producing wins. He’ll be the last man standing based on the former and in spite of the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad