Last rounds of fall eventful for undrafted Finnish prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
With the exception of a couple of second tier games, hockey is on Christmas break in Finland now.

A few weeks back Ilves decided that their starter Juha Pitkämäki wasn't playing well enough anymore for them to afford a seventeen-year-old backup and they acquired a new goalie. That puts Tuukka Rask's (2005) pro career temporarily on hold and he'll concentrate on Jr A games. At that time he dominated the U20 league in GAA and save% but failed and got pulled in the following two games. As the WJC neared, he then regained form with two solid performanes.

Blues was missing two lines' worth of forwards and so Mikko Lehtonen (2005) enjoyed a premature pro debut. The coach was very happy with his attitude and tactical ability.

At first Teemu Laakso (2005) seemed to be nowhere near SM-Liiga, but then HIFK suffered a defenseman shortage and Laakso got his chance. His two games were most successful although he was struck by the reality of pro hockey as Josh Holden took him temporarily out of the game by ramming him against the boards. What happens in Helsinki and Grand Forks around New Year will decide whether he returns to Jr A.

With the way he had been playing, Jesse Joensuu (2006) was bound to hit the net soon. A longish pass sent him on a 1-on-1 rush, he made some dekes to manage a shot from the defenseman's feet and appeared on the scoresheet for the first time in SM-Liiga.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
No one's development curve compares to Kari Lehtonen's. Rask's is an accurate copy of Mika Noronen's, the main difference between the two is that Rask has his tools refined to suit this day and age.

I'm not jumping for joy that a Finnish youngster can execute tactics on pro level, that's generally the ability what our young pay for with skill and finish. In fact, I think Mikko Lehtonen's limiting factor is his vision and hockey sense as he does have the technique and speed. Think Arsi Piispanen as a sniper with a proper frame and clearly superior skating but a more modest head. My foremost thought is that he can't afford that if he wants to be a scoring forward in the NHL. Gimme early third round for now, but my opinion could still easily change some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia