Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Spring 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Carey Mulligan always blends with Michelle Williams for me. Both great actresses but they usually play similar roles and look alike. Always mixing up which movies they've been in

Just be grateful Adelaide Clemens doesn't get more prominent work.

AdelaideClemens10TIFF.jpg

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Adelaide Clemens does have a Carey Mulligan look about her, she could play her kid sister in a movie.

In the Comeback Trail poster I posted on page 34, I thought the guy in the upper left was Jeff Bridges until I realised who it was actually. I've never confused the two before but that pic did. On afterthought, they do play similar roles (macho leading man) and they can both do comedy. (but they don't look alike except in that poster for some strange reason)

maxresdefault.jpg

I used to confuse Michelle Monaghan and Ashley Judd but I have that straightened now.

They don't really look alike but I often thought that Mark Wahlberg got the roles that Matt Damon turned down.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I think they've put more distance between the comparison in the past few years as Tom Hardy has gotten more and more famous but earlier in their careers I definitely crossed Tom Hardy with Logan Marshall Green. But I definitely double-taked the initial previews for both Prometheus and Devil with, "wait ... was that Tom Hardy?" (It wasn't).

And then there's these doppelgangers good-natured sent-up here.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The pair that drive me absolutely to distraction are Claire Danes and Kursten Dunst, similar kind of blondes, practically interchangeable in every role that either ever played, with maddening similar names. I have started to just treat them as a single entity rather than struggle with which one was in what.

At least they're similar enough. I don't want to admit how many times I've been happy to see that Emily Watson is in a movie and then disappointed to realize partway through that it's not Emma Watson. :doh:

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
I think they've put more distance between the comparison in the past few years as Tom Hardy has gotten more and more famous but earlier in their careers I definitely crossed Tom Hardy with Logan Marshall Green. But I definitely double-taked the initial previews for both Prometheus and Devil with, "wait ... was that Tom Hardy?" (It wasn't).

I also tend to mix Tom Hardy up with Charlie Hunnam now that the latter is blowing up a little bit

I'm clearly pretty bad with names and faces

Last edited:

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
220px-Without_Remorse_poster.jpg

Tom Clancy's Without Remorse. Directed by Stephano Sollima, 7.0

Good film. A techno thriller, spy/military action movie, first person shooter. It didn't really follow the books IMHO, more of an adaptation of the Rainbow Six series. I guess this would be the Hollywood origin story version in this Tom Clancy universe (a spin-off of the Jack Ryan series). There will be more, an Easter egg clip in between the end credits guarantees it. I figure Amazon is building its content repertoire to compete with Netflix and Disney+, this is one more item in their bag of goodies.

On Amazon Prime

Reactions: TNT87

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I figure Amazon is building its content repertoire to compete with Netflix and Disney+, this is one more item in their bag of goodies.
It's actually a Paramount-produced movie that Amazon bought because of the pandemic and isn't really a spin-off of the Amazon Jack Ryan series, though I imagine that that series partly inspired Paramount to make it and Amazon to buy it. Amazon and Paramount seem to have a nice partnership (ex. this, the Jack Ryan series, Coming 2 America). It's kind of odd that these movies and shows are coming to Amazon instead of Paramount+, but I suppose that Paramount would rather sell them for hundreds of millions of dollars than get nothing for them and hope that new subscribers to their service make it up over time.

BTW, I was looking forward to watching it tonight and being the first to review it. Thanks a lot. :laugh:

Last edited:

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
It's a spin-off of the books. Jack Ryan came first, then John Clark.

They didn't follow the book 100%, the book has Clark starting in Vietnam, obviously they could not do that in 2020. His wife dies in different circumstances. He was originally Caucasian. There are similarities though, the Soviet paranoia storyline is still there. It's getting mixed reviews (had not read any yet when I posted that). They either love it or hate it. I'll fall in the first category. It's not great but there isn't much out there. This will do.

p.s. I was never a fan of Clancy himself, I understand he was anti-Green. But the movie itself didn't go there and I'm a forgiving type. ;) But if the sequels go into an anti-environment mode, I'll change my tune....

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's a spin-off of the books. Jack Ryan came first, then John Clark.

I know. I read the books back in the early 90s. I was referring to you calling it "a spin-off of the Jack Ryan series." I thought that you meant the Amazon series that happens to be called Jack Ryan. My mistake.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Carey Mulligan always blends with Michelle Williams for me. Both great actresses but they usually play similar roles and look alike. Always mixing up which movies they've been in

Do they really look all that similar? At least Williams is usually blonde, and Mulligan is mainly a brunette.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

Yeah, Bryce Dallas Howard and Jessica Chastain are basically doppelgangers. At least they both have a different aura between them, and the chin is a pretty prominent difference.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
michael-b-jordan-fahrenheit-451.jpg

Beyond Boring
...oh, whoops, my bad...Without Remorse (2021) Directed by Stefano Sollima 3A

John le Carre survived the end of the Cold War; Tom Clancy didn't. Without Remorse is a dull movie despite lots of generic action. Given the wildly abrupt ending, the movie also seems to have about twenty pages of script missing. Primary conclusion: Sollima is a hack. A waste of Michael B. Jordan and a waste of my time.

Last edited:

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
And next week's revenge-shooter flick is Jason Statham's Wrath of Man. They sure are producing more of these (maybe because it puts bums in seats with the younger demographic that still run to theatres). I don't mind though, I get a kick out of them too. I'm in Ontario in a lockdown, the theatres are closed. So I will prolly only see it this Summer whenever it streams somewhere in whatever form...second jab appointment is only at the end of August, so it might be awhile before I go to theatres again unfortunately.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

The Marksman (2021) - 4/10 (Disliked it)

A rancher along the US-Mexico border (Liam Neeson) helps a Mexican boy evade the cartel and reach family. I've liked just about every formulaic Neeson action film, but this one really tested my charity. First of all, there isn't much action. You'd expect a film called The Marksman to at least have a lot of shooting, but Neeson fires only a few shots at the beginning and then several more during the standoff at the end. In between is an hour of road trip drama without much action, just Neeson and the kid getting to know each other while outrunning the cartel. Second, very little makes sense. One minute, Neeson's character is ratting out the positions of illegals to Border Patrol and, the next, he's personally driving an illegal kid from Arizona to Chicago (without even packing for the trip). Also, he has a large bag of the cartel's cash with him, but the cartel doesn't seem to know it, and he repeatedly makes dumb decisions that help them to catch up to him. That and the fact that he's always barking orders at the kid like a grumpy grandpa who got stuck with babysitter duty made him a little hard to like, in spite of Neeson usually being likable and the writers really trying to make him sympathetic by having him be widowed and on the verge of losing his home, among other things. In short, the writing is pretty bad, even for this kind of movie. There's also almost no humor that might offset the dullness, unless you count the tough, ruthless, cartel boss wearing the tiniest-sized Bandaid on his cheek all of the time. Without much action or humor, the movie is more of a drama about the relationship between the old man and the boy, which didn't feel believable or deep enough. Overall, the movie passed the time, but I found it disappointing as someone who likes just about every one of Liam Neeson's formulaic action movies. Other Neeson fans may care to watch it eventually, but I recommend waiting until it's a lot cheaper. Edit: By the way, don't you just love when a screencap sums up a movie?

Last edited:

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
The Snows of Kilimanjaro (1952) directed by Henry King

Dying from a leg infection while on safari in Africa, a writer (Gregory Peck) reminisces about his ex-girlfriends while his current wife cares for him. Loosely based on the Hemingway short story of the same name and a couple of other Hemingway stories, this film was a box office hit and a critical success. It was the 2nd highest grossing film in 1952 and was nominated for two Oscars (Best color cinematography and Best color art direction). However, almost 60 years later the film is in the public domain and only a really poor transfer of the film exists. It’s not hard to see why that’s the case for why its rights haven’t been held or why it hasn’t been restored. The film has not aged gracefully at all and is just an uneven tedious slog. Very forgettable film and Twentieth Century Fox probably understandably forgot to renew the rights for it before it slipped into the public domain.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Ek5PZGPXgAEdtBo

Double Impact (Lettich, 1991) - Reading that Van Damme was inspired by Jeremy Irons' work on Dead Ringers and wanted to use this project to showcase his range makes the result kind of absurd. The overacting is priceless (especially with Chad, the softer of the caricatural twins). I still enjoyed the process and its creative simplicity - unlike the Cronenberg film, the techniques here are very limited: no complexe motion-control matte composition, mostly just the old (hidden) split screen and a few very ugly superpositions. The very weird fraternal jealous fantasy-frenzy scene is quite unique too. Still a pretty bad film. 3/10

michael-b-jordan-is-on-a-mission-of-revenge-in-final-trailer-for-tom-clancys-without-remorse.jpg

Tom Clancy's Without Remorse (Sollima, 2021) - I thought it was an effective action film until the last 10-12 minutes or so (I was cool with pretty much everything before that fugly photoshop-looking screenshot I posted). After that it's ruined with trying to make sense of the mess and avenging it (in very rushed fashion). I particularly enjoyed the comatose nightmare and the sinking plane, which were both very close to horror in tone, sound and tension. I'll echo kihei in that it's a complete waste of MB Jordan's skills, and he is weirdly surrounded with stiffs (Turner-Smith is really bad), but I still enjoyed it more than most of you. 4/10

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
...but I still enjoyed it more than most of you. 4/10

Clearly. 4/10 is a pretty high score for you. I used to be confused by your rating system, but, now, I imagine them out of 5 and they make a lot more sense. When you gave Die Hard a 5/10 the other day, I wasn't even mad because that's basically a perfect score from you. :wg:

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad