Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +2

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Lighthouse [2019] :

While watching The Lighthouse, I kept thinking of the quote from Pauline Kael's Raging Bull review :

"Listening to Jake and Joey go at each other, like the macho clowns in Cassavetes movies, I know’ I’m supposed to be responding to a powerful, ironic realism, but I just feel trapped. Jake says, “You dumb f— k,” and Joey says, “You dumb f—k,” and they repeat it and repeat it. And I think...

What am I doing here watching these two dumb f—ks?"

2.5/10

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) - 3/10 (Really didn't like it)

Godzilla and seemingly every monster to ever be in a Godzilla movie are awakened and battle each other while humans run around and act like they matter. This features some of the worst writing that I've seen in a major, modern Hollywood movie. I felt like I was watching the 1998 Godzilla again; it's that awful. One example is that a main character acts like an expert on monster behavior because he happens to be an amateur hunter. Another is that a couple of parents drive around a destroyed city for a while before suspecting that their daughter probably isn't just wandering through the destruction and might've just gone home. The characters are also completely uninteresting and I didn't care if any of them lived or died. The movie has way too much CGI, and I don't mean the monster battles. So many of the human scenes are CGIed up with flying debris, dark clouds, explosions and so on. If that's what you want--a 2-hour CGI spectacle--you'll get it, but it was way too much for my tastes. The monster battles are actually pretty good, but interrupted too much by cuts to the humans. In the end, the movie ends up being 15 minutes of exciting monster battles and a whole lot of cliched filler. Expectations for Godzilla movies are really low (just have good monster battles and people are happy), but I don't think that that's an excuse for movie makers to aim really low. I could give this a 2/10 and say that I hated it, but I did laugh a lot (not with it... at it), and that earns a plus, even if the humor was unintentional.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
adam-driver-sundance-2019.jpg

The Report
(2019) Directed by Scott Z. Burns 5B

Daniel Jones (Adam Driver) is the lead Senate investigator evaluating the CIA's use of "inhanced interrogation methods" (torture, to you or me) after 9/11. He finds that the CIA is not only guilty of supporting a programme that is brutal, illegal and ineffective to boot, but they are trying to cover up their complicity in this serious abuse of the law. His boss, Senator Diane Feinstein (Annette Bening) of California, treads very carefully with this material, so carefully that Jones is afraid the truth will never get to the American people. The Report should have been a rousing suspense film, but Director Scott Z. Burns puts together a movie that is overly expository, that rushes through some complex material, that sometimes feels like a lecture from a very dull prof, and that relies entirely upon Adam Driver's voice and facial expressions to register alarm and disgust. The perspective here is left of centre with the Republicans once again in the role of the party of deceit and contempt, championing torture but not willing to take responsibility for it. There are so many important issues here that should be addressed but The Report does so in a way that is only intermittently effective at best. As for the revelations, they seem to belong to another era when there wasn't a US President willing to commute the sentences of convicted war criminals against the advice of his own military. Still The Report is a movie that is worth being seen and discussed.

Sidenote: If you want to see how to do a political thriller, locate a copy of Costa-Gavras' Z (1969) about the assassination (and the subsequent attempted cover-up) of a Greek politician. Yes, it was made a long time ago when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, but it is everything that The Report is not and should have been.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Sidenote: If you want to see how to do a political thriller, locate a copy of Costa-Gavras' Z (1969) about the assassination (and the subsequent attempted cover-up) of a Greek politician. Yes, it was made a long time ago when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, but it is everything that The Report is not and should have been.

Funny that you mention Z. When I posted the comment about Les ordres, I only had two other movies in mind that command such automatic respect: Z and Riff-Raff.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Lighthouse [2019] :

While watching The Lighthouse, I kept thinking of the quote from Pauline Kael's Raging Bull review :

"Listening to Jake and Joey go at each other, like the macho clowns in Cassavetes movies, I know’ I’m supposed to be responding to a powerful, ironic realism, but I just feel trapped. Jake says, “You dumb f— k,” and Joey says, “You dumb f—k,” and they repeat it and repeat it. And I think...

What am I doing here watching these two dumb f—ks?"

2.5/10

While I disagree with your estimation of the film, anyone who quotes Paulene Kael is forgiven all transgressions.:bow:

Reactions: ORRFForever

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Let's try this again... in the correct thread this time...

Anna
(2019) - 4/10 (Didn't like it)

Anna (Sasha Luss) is a Soviet assassin and spy caught between the KGB and the CIA in Luc Besson's late Cold War spy thriller. Luss, a model, is surprisingly good in her first real acting role, able to show fierceness on the job and vulnerability off of it. Helen Mirren and Luke Evans have supporting roles as members of the KGB. The film seems to share a lot of similarities with Atomic Blonde, including the heroine's appearance (never mind the still above; she's blonde in every other scene), the setting and the John Wick-style action sequences. The story is filled with twists and turns that keep it interesting and are really the backbone of the entire movie, but every one is accompanied by a flashback to explain it. It's easy enough to follow, but still felt a little overused and cheap. The film tries to be different from the many similar films to come before it (La Femme Nikita, Point of No Return, Atomic Blonde, etc.), but can't escape how familiar it feels. That wouldn't be a problem if it were entertaining in spite of it, but it was less so than I expected from Luc Besson. That said, it's still a perfectly watchable film and others might like it more (it does have an 81% audience score at RT), especially those who love spy thrillers or liked Atomic Blonde.

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
King of New York (1990) - 6.5/10
Bit of a mess but I like the cinematography and Christopher Walken. Ending scene is good, the rest is just tonally all over the place.

I Vitelloni (1953) - 7/10
Chaotic Fellini film but at least it's not as boring as his other work later on though it lacks the same level of style.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
King of New York (1990) - 6.5/10
Bit of a mess but I like the cinematography and Christopher Walken. Ending scene is good, the rest is just tonally all over the place.

Big Ferrara fan here. Not one of my favorites, but I'm still very fond of this one too. I guess 6.5 is pretty accurate.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Midsommar (2019) - 4/10 (Didn't like it)

A graduate student couple in a deteriorating relationship joins friends on a trip to Sweden to take part in a rural community's mid-Summer festival that turns bizarre. First of all, I thought that it was refreshing that the couple looked and felt like real people. The actors have average American, non-Hollywood body types and the characters have personal and relationship issues. I liked how beautifully shot the film was once it got to Sweden and I was intrigued by the setting, with all of the open space and communal buildings. The direction is occasionally powerful and haunting, similar to Hereditary, especially early. I somewhat liked the first act and was looking forward to seeing where the film would go.

Unfortunately, the second and third acts were disappointing. The second drags, with too many of the same types of scenes (especially meal and ritual scenes), and the writing starts to get a little unbelievable and contrived (ex. to excuse the characters not getting the heck out of there). Also, it starts getting pretty predictable, either because it's obvious what's about to happen or because it was shown to you in a mural several scenes earlier. That undermines the shock value that the director seemed to be going for and much of the point of the film: to be unsettling. I expected to be more unsettled by the film than I ended up being.

The film might've been saved by a strong third act, but it felt too much like other folk horror films. In fact, the final scene felt a bit like a rip-off to me. Waiting over two and a half hours for something that I've essentially seen before was a disappointment. Also, although I initially thought that the couple's relationship was refreshingly real, it gradually went in a predictable, tired direction. Just before the credits started rolling, I started rolling my eyes, to say the least.

The film felt like it started as a 90-minute "slasher" horror movie and got padded with an hour of relationship drama and pretentiousness to try to make it a work of art and socially relevant, similar to Mother! I did admire many things about it and wanted to like it, but I also couldn't help but imagine that I would've enjoyed it more if it had been a lot leaner. Even if it were still not original or scary, at least it would've been shorter and something that I probably would've watched it again at some point, anyways. As is, I can't see myself wanting to see it again.

FYI, I saw the Director's Cut, which adds 24 minutes to the run time, making for a 2hr 50min watch. That likely contributed to it feeling too long and as though it dragged, but it also adds a number of scenes that improve the story a little, so the two probably cancelled each other out and I doubt that my overall feelings would've been any more positive or negative if I'd seen the theatrical cut, instead.

Last edited:

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Marvels Civil War. Granted I’ve seen it a few times I still think it’s fantastic. 8/10!!

granted I like the comic storyline better and appreciate Peter Parker being older in the comics and a man rather than a high school boy. But still, movie is good!

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
The Girl With All the Gifts - kind of a somewhat pseudo-original take on the Zombie genre with not much to offer beyond a very charismatic young lead. Still more interesting than the highly overrated Train to Busan, but the good Zombie films really seem to be a thing of the past. 4/10

Brides of Blood - ... something MSTK3 should have a look at, complete with blurry close-ups, botched musical fade-ins, saturated sound, and maybe the worst nuit américaine (day for night) I've seen (and Woody's Midsummer Night Sex Comedy is tough to beat). 1/10

Reactions: tardigrade81

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Midsommar (2019) - 4/10 (Didn't like it)

A graduate student couple in a deteriorating relationship joins friends on a trip to Sweden to take part in a rural community's mid-Summer festival that turns bizarre. First of all, I thought that it was refreshing that the couple looked and felt like real people. The actors have average American, non-Hollywood body types and the characters have personal and relationship issues. I liked how beautifully shot the film was once it got to Sweden and I was intrigued by the setting, with all of the open space and communal buildings. The direction is occasionally powerful and haunting, similar to Hereditary, especially early. I somewhat liked the first act and was looking forward to seeing where the film would go.

Unfortunately, the second and third acts were disappointing. The second drags, with too many of the same types of scenes (especially meal and ritual scenes), and the writing starts to get a little unbelievable and contrived (ex. to excuse the characters not getting the heck out of there). Also, it starts getting pretty predictable, either because it's obvious what's about to happen or because it was shown to you in a mural several scenes earlier. That undermines the shock value that the director seemed to be going for and much of the point of the film: to be unsettling. I expected to be more unsettled by the film than I ended up being.

The film might've been saved by a strong third act, but it felt too much like other folk horror films. In fact, the final scene felt a bit like a rip-off to me. Waiting over two and a half hours for something that I've essentially seen before was a disappointment. Also, although I initially thought that the couple's relationship was refreshingly real, it gradually went in a predictable, tired direction. Just before the credits started rolling, I started rolling my eyes, to say the least.

The film felt like it started as a 90-minute "slasher" horror movie and got padded with an hour of relationship drama and pretentiousness to try to make a work of art out of it. I did admire many things about it and really wanted to like it, but I also couldn't help but imagine that I would've enjoyed it more if it had been a lot leaner. It still may not have been scary or original, but at least it would've been shorter and something that I probably would've watched it again at some point, anyways. As is, I can't see myself wanting to see it again.

FYI, I saw the Director's Cut, which adds 24 minutes to the run time, making for a 2hr 50min watch. That likely contributed to it feeling too long and as though it dragged, but it also adds a number of scenes that improve the story a little, so the two probably cancelled each other out and I doubt that my overall feelings would've been any more positive or negative if I'd seen the theatrical cut, instead.
Usually I dislike movies more than everyone else here. With Midsommer, I'm at the higher end of the scale. While I wasn't a big fan, I didn't hate it.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Midway (2019) 2.5 / 10

Pros: Visual + there were some historical facts, I guess
Cons: Directing, screenplay, dialogue, characters, rhythm, structure, dynamics

Full of cliches, but not in a funny way. Just made me not to care. Like a movie from a video game, but without a video game.

Big missed opportunity. I'm normally a fan of war movies / flying machines

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
You Were Never Really Here (2017) - 7/10
I'm too squemish for this shit but people love this kinda stuff. I prefer the old type of psychological thriller.

Bed & Board (1971) - 7/10
Funny Truffaut French film, the couple is cute and Antoine Doinel is less insufferable than 400 Blows or even Stolen Kisses. The story is also a bit more coherent, good pass-by cinema.

Mutual Appreciation (2005) - 7/10
It had some good bits of mumblecore, some scenes dragged on but it was fine. Worth a watch in fragments here and there.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Wreck It Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks the Internet

8.5/10

Loved the original (A perfect film both adults and kids could enjoy) and while this one isn't as great as 1st this was still enjoyable film with enough references/humor for adults and enough action/etc to keep kids entertained

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Parasite - B- ... this is the type of movie I typically love but I had trouble get into it. I didn't develop much empathy for the characters.

Joker - A ... I'm not gonna lie...I really loved watching this.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - 7.5/10

This is a very difficult one for me to rate. I loved the overall story and several messages within the film, but I thought the film itself suffered some pacing issues, as well as some iffy acting. I wasn't totally bought into all of the characters, and the "resolution" didn't seem to quite work perfectly. But, this is a very emotional film. There are a couple scenes that are extremely touching, and I really enjoyed that aspect of it. Just wish the overall story had a little more punch to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad