Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number +2

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
À nos amours (1983) - 7/10 - It wasn't bad, one of those films where French people talk a lot and it's a bit abstract and very pompous but fairly interesting but not as interesting as it could be because of the wall of pompousness.

Anyone have a ranking of their top 10 from this year outside of the obvious good stuff that made millions? My 2019 watchlist is a bit thin right now.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Any Given Sunday (Director's Cut) - 1999
Oliver Stone's caricature about professional football. It's an intruiging concept, but there are so many pointless cameos and scenes that are shocking for the sake of being shocking. The movie had great potential and there are certainly some great scenes, but it's so disappointing how many characters and storylines go absolutely nowhere. I hate to say it, but I kinda want to watch it again, as if I were rubbernecking a car crash.

5.5/10
Before there was Any Given Sunday, there was the FAR superior North Dallas Forty - another movie about the dark side of the NFL and the BEST sport's movie I`ve ever seen.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
220px-Long_Shot_%282019_poster%29.png

Long Shot (2019)
Journalist Fred Flarsky reunites with his childhood crush, Charlotte Field, now one of the most influential women in the world. As she prepares to make a run for the Presidency, Charlotte hires Fred as her speechwriter and sparks fly.

6/10

That's pretty fair. I found that the plot stumbled in the beginning, until Rogen and Theron's scenes together started to carry the movie forward. But it's a fairly smart romantic comedy that actually favours the comedy, so it's a good date-at-home movie. It doesn't bog down in 'bad' comedy like a lot of Rogen's stuff has done. Rogen as the rebel, and Theron as the straight woman. Solid 6/10.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
À nos amours (1983) - 7/10 - It wasn't bad, one of those films where French people talk a lot and it's a bit abstract and very pompous but fairly interesting but not as interesting as it could be because of the wall of pompousness.

Anyone have a ranking of their top 10 from this year outside of the obvious good stuff that made millions? My 2019 watchlist is a bit thin right now.

Best of '19 so far

1) Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Sciamma, France
2) An Elephant Sitting Still, Hu, China
3) Hope, Sodahl, Norway
4) It Must Be Heaven, Suleiman, Palestine
5) Vitalina Varela, Costa, Portugal
6) Ema, Larrain, Chile
7) The Two Popes, Mirelles, Brazil/UK
8) Les Miserables, Ly, France
9) High Life, Denis, France/US
10) Saint Maud, Glass, UK

Not much of this stuff is out yet, and there are some pretty good looking movies arriving in the next couple of months. My cupboard was almost bare before TIFF so I have to assume that the final third of the year is going to make up for the dismal two thirds of the year that preceded it.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I have to assume that the final third of the year is going to make up for the dismal two thirds of the year that preceded it.

Not a big fan of this trend which has been getting worse since around 2015 but it's fine they come out eventually and you see them eventually if you can I shouldn't complain.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Not a big fan of this trend which has been getting worse since around 2015 but it's fine they come out eventually and you see them eventually if you can I shouldn't complain.
Blame Award Season...

If they release a quality movie in the first third of the year, there's a good chance it will be forgotten.

The summer is reserved for garbage.

All that remains is the Fall.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Judy [2019] :

Just in case 2019 didn't have enough musical biopics, we now have Judy - another difficult, abusive, self absorbed performer named Judy Garland. Are all musicians like this?

As for the movie itself...

If you watch Judy to see Renée Zellweger give the performance of a lifetime, you won't be disappointed. If you watch to be entertained, you are in for a depressing 2 hours.

6/10

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think Judy Garland was the first celebrity that as a kid, I actively disliked. I didn't like the music at all, but, even worse, she seemed so screwed up and needy that I found it embarrassing to watch her emote "feelings" all over the place like she was a permanent leaky faucet. Congrats to Zellweger, I guess, but this is one performance that I will never see.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I think Judy Garland was the first celebrity that as a kid, I actively disliked. I didn't like the music at all, but, even worse, she seemed so screwed up and needy that I found it embarrassing to watch her emote "feelings" all over the place like she was a permanent leaky faucet. Congrats to Zellweger, I guess, but this is one performance that I will never see.

Nabokovian but with class. Bravo.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That's pretty fair. I found that the plot stumbled in the beginning, until Rogen and Theron's scenes together started to carry the movie forward. But it's a fairly smart romantic comedy that actually favours the comedy, so it's a good date-at-home movie. It doesn't bog down in 'bad' comedy like a lot of Rogen's stuff has done. Rogen as the rebel, and Theron as the straight woman. Solid 6/10.

With Long Shot, I guess my expectations for film comedies these days are so low, that this one seemed passable and not a complete waste of time.

It was pretty generic but it had its witty moments.

The thinly veiled Justin Trudeau character has a certain added spice given what's going on North of the border.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm continuing to read Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobiography and watch his films in order while doing so. No one needs my reviews for movies that we've all seen countless times, but it's an opportunity to share interesting facts from my reading. I ended my last batch with 1984's The Terminator, so this one starts with 1985's Commando.

Commando (1985) - 7/10 - Because it's a rather macho movie, I'm always a little surprised by just how funny this ends up being. According to Arnie, audiences loved the scene in The Terminator when room service knocks and the terminator, picking one of several available responses, tells the guy what to go do with himself. Because of that, he encouraged the writers of Commando to add a lot more humor like that, mostly in the form of one-liners, thus establishing one of his trademarks. Also, this was only the second film (after Class of 1984) for director Mark L. Lester, so a chance was taken with him and it paid off.

Raw Deal (1986) - 4/10 - The movie starts pretty well, with Arnie as a small town sheriff chasing down a bad guy, but quickly turns into a very unoriginal mobster movie. In order to be freed from doing any more Conan movies, Arnie agreed to eventually do one non-Conan movie for Dino De Laurentiis. This ended up being it and it shows. It feels like a straight-to-video movie that could've been given to any actor and is probably Arnie's most forgettable action movie. It could've been better if it had the humor of Commando, but it plays itself too seriously. If it hadn't been a flop, though, we likely wouldn't have gotten Total Recall. De Laurentiis owned the rights to that and didn't think that Arnie was right for the role, but Raw Deal's failure led to his bankruptcy and selling the rights to Carolco.

Predator (1987) - 9/10 - This might be the leanest action movie ever. The plot is so simple and, most of the time, nothing is happening, yet it feels tense for 100 straight minutes. Apparently, Arnie had watched a small horror film named Nomads and was so impressed with its tension despite its low budget that he lobbied for hiring its first-time director, John McTiernan. His intuition paid off with Predator and was re-affirmed the following year when McTiernan directed Die Hard. At one point, Arnie was covered in mud and insects in the Mexican jungle just 48 hours before he was due to get married in Massachusetts. He was willing to do Predator 2, but only if they got a better script (that didn't take place in the city) and a better director, but the studio cheaped out on both and he turned it down.

The Running Man (1987) - 7/10 - Shortly into filming, the original director was fired (for being behind schedule) and replaced with a TV director who had never made a movie. Arnie feels that that was mistake, since the new guy shot the movie like a TV show, losing much of the serious social satire of Stephen King's story. Even though it could've been better, it's still quite a fun and humorous movie. It's paced quite well and it has probably as many one liners as Commando, if not more. Like Commando, it's cheesy, but it's excellent cheese. Fun fact: the majority of the movie takes place in 2019.

Red Heat (1988) - 6/10 - This movie is somewhat enjoyable and disappointing at the same time. It has a good premise and some cool scenes, but could've been a lot better. I think that it suffers from some of the same things that Raw Deal did: it's too gritty and Arnie's character is too wooden (by design). Arnie seems at his best when his characters are strong and funny, but, here, he's only strong and all of the "funny" goes to Belushi, whom I've never cared for and don't really find funny here. Arnie thought that this would be a smash hit and doesn't know why it wasn't, but those are the reasons why I think that it wasn't. Interesting fact: this was the first American movie to be allowed to film in Moscow's Red Square.

Twins (1988) - 8/10 - I don't know why the RT ratings are so low for this because I've always loved this movie and thought that most people also loved it. It's funny and even a little touching. This time watching it, I was struck by how relatively good Arnie's acting was in this, compared to how it was just years earlier. Either he really improved in a short amount of time or comedy simply brings out the best in him. Supposedly, director Ivan Reitman was skeptical of Arnie's comedic chops until he got to talking with him and sensed the curiosity and gentleness in him that he could work with and that became the basis for his character. The most interesting fact about this movie is that Arnie, betting on himself and recognizing that the studio was taking a big risk giving him a comedy, decided to take no salary, only a percentage of the box office gross, and convinced De Vito and Reitman to do the same. He calls it his best business decision ever because Twins ended up being the 5th highest grossing film of 1988 and netting him $35M (more than he's made from any other movie) when he would've made "only" $5-10M if he'd taken salary.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
:)

Trust me... you won't miss much.

J.G. was before my time but if her daughter (Liza) stole her schtick from her mom, I agree about the gag worthiness.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm continuing to read Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobiography and watch his films in order while doing so. No one needs my reviews for movies that we've all seen countless times, but it's an opportunity to share interesting facts from my reading.
I enjoy reading these reviews, too; often it refreshes my memory and gets me thinking about movies I haven't experienced in years. I mean, over the years during previous winters, I've done my own Godard retrospective on here, a thorough review of Satyajit Ray films, and my own little Alain Delon film festival.... so if that sort of stuff can fly, anything can.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
adastra-bradpitt-spacestation-outside-700x303.jpg

Ad Astra
(2019) Directed by James Gray 4B

An astronaut (Brad Pitt) is sent on a mission to save the world from an electronic pulse that threatens the solar system and to come to grips with his long missing father (Tommy Lee Jones). Man, Ad Astra is one ponderous movie. Light on action and strong on psychological musings and voice overs, the movie seems to have its mind on other things--like saying something important about humankind's flaws or about doomed father and son relationships. Though the cinematography occasionally discovers a gem of a shot, the human beings seem left to fend for themselves in a film that doesn't explain much at all about anything--including about that mysterious electronic pulse that threatens all of existence--.but takes its damn sweet time doing so. I'm fine with sci-fi movies taking themselves seriously, but what's the pay off here? I don't think there is one.

Went the other way with this one, but it’s a rare case of me also completely understanding why it didn’t work for others.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
QL3AURMJONG2RCNJE2VL2ICBII.jpg

Brightburn (2019)

What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister?

5/10

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
QL3AURMJONG2RCNJE2VL2ICBII.jpg

Brightburn (2019)

What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister?

5/10

I honestly thought this movie was fantastic! I hope they do more with this. Don’t want to give spoilers away for people that haven’t seen it. But the end in the credits is what I am talking about. Maybe make a Justice league type but with villains. Would be super neat.

I would give this 8/10 personally. Was enjoyable. However started a tad slow in my opinion.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Best of '19 so far

1) Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Sciamma, France
2) An Elephant Sitting Still, Hu, China

Unless some hidden gems pop up near the end of the year, these two will be very high on my Best of '19 list as well. With Elephant, I expected that, but Portrait really came out of nowhere for me. I wasn't planning on seeing it at first, it was playing at a local film festival last month but only because one of my screenings got cancelled, I scheduled it in last minute. So glad I did. Such a beautiful film, great acting as well, especially that final scene.

I still hope to see Ema this year, High Life I already saw last year and I thought was just very WTF :laugh:

Les Miserables is the opening film of the Gent Film Festival (Belgium's biggest film festival) which starts next week. Think I'll take in about 20 films in total, including LM. So that will probably alter the top of my list a bit as well. Also I think 2019 has already been really, really good so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad