Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Mid-Spring Edition. Happy Beltane!

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Oh I don't mind that at all if that's all there is to it - but comments like "his snoozefest of the Italian L'Trilogy / I guess it's a film for people who like to feel smart about film and themes" and "shoulda called this film Pretension" kind of sound like anti-intellectualism. I'm probably just in a bad mood.

Someone else called Blow-Up Pretension that wasn't me, I liked it. And saying his L'Trilogy is boring is not exactly controversial. I even saw a far better Italian movie called Il Sorporasso where one of the characters makes fun of how boring Antonioni films are.

But yes Suicide Squad > Black Panther > Blow-Up.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
jean-adair-josephine-hull-arsenic-and-old-lace.png

Arsenic and Old Lace-1944

A visit to two sweet little old aunts turns into a riotous sequence of events. Just what have they been up to and what's down in the cellar? Love the casting, especially the two aunts. The play (they were in it) ran over 1400 performances. They and 'Theodore Roosevelt' play it so straight it's perfect. Too bad the producers wouldn't also release Boris Karloff from the play, although his name is used several times in the film. Interesting that Cary Grant wasn't the first choice for the lead role, but Bob Hope wasn't available. Funny film. Charge!

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
That review drove me crazy too, but whatya gonna do, ya know?

I needed your wisdom to remind me to keep calm! That, followed by OzzyFan's take on A Ghost Story, and then the Pretension comment, just too much for me not to break down curled up in a ball on the floor.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Man on a Ledge (Leth, 2012) – Impressive cast, gimmicky story (“we'll make a film with a man committing a robbery while standing on a ledge” - except most of the story is everywhere but on that ledge - think Phone Booth, but even flatter), sexy girl. Nothing much more to say, it had the premise to make an original film, but it's contrived and hacky. 3/10

Dolls
(Stuart, 1986) – I know it's a Stuart Gordon film produced by Brian Yuzna, but it just doesn't feel like it. I guess that Ed Naha completing the trio brings the whole thing closer to their Honey, I Shrunk the Kids than to their better horror films – he must be the problem here. The whole thing is pretty bad, but the comic relief character that keeps on reminding me of (a light, almost bearable version of) Sean Astin is the worst. I still love Gordon, met him once, he was a super nice guy. 3/10

Also watched two very different gialli:
ac8e449915973aff16bbee7e7ae666b84cb02e4a_hq.jpg

Short Night of Glass Dolls (La corta notte delle bambole di vetro, Lado, 1971) – The giallo is a very vague subgenre – and some of the films that are considered part of it bear little similarities to its more common tropes and themes. This one clearly wouldn't be considered close to the genre if it wasn't an Italian film from the early 70s, but there's still a few elements you can link to it. Appearing somewhere between Rosemary's Baby and Eyes Wide Shut, this one does have a very giallesque investigative journalist, but it trades the gloved women killer for a cult with political undertones. In fact, the film is told after-the-fact, by a dead man at the morgue going through his memories of the events (another very giallesque thing to do). The film is renown for its shocking finale, but don't go in wishing Spoorloos. It's gimmicky and not very well executed (the voice-over suddenly switch to his colleague for a quick – and useless – thought during the ending). Could have been a lot better, but still an interesting curiosity. Subpar Morricone score and one or two beautifully lit scenes. 4.5/10

what-have-you-done-with-solange-ennio-morricone-poster-large.jpg

What Have You Done to Solange?
(Cosa avete fatto a Solange? Dallamano, 1972) – At the opposite end of the spectrum, this is a classic giallo, with tropes and themes well in place. It distinguishes itself from the lot by restraint only: not much gore or over-the-top effects, no theatrical aesthetics, and an overall more realistic approach, with moral themes that go beyond the series of murders. If you ever – for some reason – want to see a giallo, this is not a bad one. You've got the gloves, the subjective camera, the women victims, the reminiscence, all without doing too much (maybe the sleaze is a little much, and the murderer's fascination for his victims' genitals don't help). Morricone's score is also much better here (very good at times). The only thing that really doesn't work is the spatial construction of the first murder – and well, they go back to it a lot. Short Night of Glass Dolls is a much more original film, but this one is a more conventional giallo, and better executed too. 4.5/10

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The Hunt (2013) 8.5/10

I never loved and hated a movie so much. Mads might be one of my favourite actors right now. I havent hated anything I seen him in starting with King Arthur lol

Reactions: Fripp

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
You liked a film that's for people who like to feel smart and that's just wasted potential? I guess I read that wrong. Again, might just be in a bad mood.

Not to be a stickler - and I will be - but I don't think calling something 'wasted potential' means its bad. That's the perfect description for DeLillo's Cosmopolis and I still think it was a worthy book.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
jean-adair-josephine-hull-arsenic-and-old-lace.png

Arsenic and Old Lace-1944

A visit to two sweet little old aunts turns into a riotous sequence of events. Just what have they been up to and what's down in the cellar? Love the casting, especially the two aunts. The play (they were in it) ran over 1400 performances. They and 'Theodore Roosevelt' play it so straight it's perfect. Too bad the producers wouldn't also release Boris Karloff from the play, although his name is used several times in the film. Interesting that Cary Grant wasn't the first choice for the lead role, but Bob Hope wasn't available. Funny film. Charge!

It blows my mind that this still isn't on Blu-ray or even in HD. It looks like it's on all of the streaming services, but only in DVD quality. It also blew my mind that Bringing Up Baby (another Cary Grant classic) wasn't on Blu-ray until just last month. Maybe the rights holder that took its sweet time with that also owns this and will eventually give this some love, too.

Reactions: Chili

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
It blows my mind that this still isn't on Blu-ray or even in HD. It looks like it's on all of the streaming services, but only in DVD quality. It also blew my mind that Bringing Up Baby (another Cary Grant classic) wasn't on Blu-ray until just last month. Maybe the rights holder that took its sweet time with that also owns this and will eventually give this some love, too.
Just re-watched Bringing Up Baby recently. The animal acting is impressive especially the wrestling match betweeen a small dog and a leopard. Fun film.

Reactions: Osprey and kihei

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I saw Titane today

At the end there was a guy a couple of rows in front of me who went "WHAT THE??" and I felt exactly the same way :laugh:

Not a movie I'd like to watch again

Reactions: kihei

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Trouble in Mind. 1950s by way of 1980s Alan Parker neo-noir that would make a good second half of a double bill with Walter Hill's Streets of Fire. Both are highly stylized, almost fantastical spins on old-school tough guys and seedy city squalor. More dreamlike than realistic. Both are really more of a feeling or vibe than a story. Characters are more types than people, very intentionally so. I don't much take to Kris Kristoferson as an actor, but he's aces here as a hard dude with a soft heart who's seen some stuff and absolutely will not take your guff. Keith Carradine looks like he walked straight off an Altman movie and gradually morphs into 1950s rockabilly-punk monster (he could've walked right onto the Streets of Fire set from this, to be honest). Perhaps the most interesting actor and character here is the John Waters' staple Divine, here in his rare (maybe only?) film performance not in drag and he makes for a wonderful Sydney Greenstreet stand-in. The last 20 minutes really amp-up the dream-like elements. Not for everyone, but I was quite taken by it.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Michael Mann double feature:

Blackhat. I love Michael Mann but I still never got around to watch what is (to date) his last movie, 2013's hacker flick Blackhat. A total bomb at the time, I know it has at least a small cadre of fans. I can't count myself among them. Chris Hemsworth as a brains-and-brawn master hacker and brawler is just too big of a pill to swallow. (And I generally like the actor). The movie is at its best when Mann has a beautiful swooping shot of a cityscape or landscape and there are plenty of those, but the close-up stuff is pretty meh. And the whole "camera goes into a computer and runs along the wires and chips" ... now that's hacky. One positive: the violence in this, which comes often, is pretty sudden and brutal and striking. That's a cold efficiency that's lacking in a lot of movies today where things just feel very drawn out.

Manhunter. From late career to one of his earlier efforts. This is an EXTREMELY 1980s movie. For me — all that synthy music and neon and pastel and black suits — works very well. Mileage may very for others. This is probably most emblematic of the MTV-inspired production Mann is credited/blamed for, which most famously translated to the Miami Vice TV show. But a lot of that is here first. Though the author, subject matter and some of the characters are the same, the execution is different from the far more heralded The Silence of the Lambs. Effective, but different. Tom Noonan is a walking nightmare and the whole Freddie Lounds sequence is a masterful bit of building terror capped with a really underrated shot of horror that's been seared in my brain since the first time I watched this. William Peterson is the slight achilies heel. He's mostly good, but there's a few scenes of him talking to himself where he REALLY goes for it. (DIDN'T YOU, YOU SONOFABITCH!!!). Get a couple of drinks in me and I MIGHT argue this is Mann's second best movie. Sober-headed, it's no worse than 4th.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
013283_1083x609_637511810259007464.jpg

The Vault
(2021) Directed Jaume Balaguero 4A

Whiz kid undergrad engineer Thom (Freddie Highmore), who has already fixed one Middle East crisis, demurs standard job offers in the millions to join a gang of thieves, led by Lian Cunningham, who plan to steal three important Spanish coins locked away in a booby-trapped fortress located beneath the Bank of Spain in Madrid. The twist here is that they plan to use Spain's World Cup final victory against the Netherlands as a distraction. Basically The Vault is a glossy Oceans wannabe, with the same elaborate, highly unlikely challenges facing a good cast of actors. With one exception. I recognized Highmore from seeing ads for his doctor show on TV in which, I gather, he plays a high-functioning autistic character. Devoid of the autism shtick with no other physical "business" to replace it, Highmore is the cinematic equivalent of a black hole lurking in the centre of the screen. True, the script gives neither him nor anybody else either motive or character development to work with, but, nonetheless, Highmore is truly made of air. He floats through his performance to such an extent that I would be surprised if his footprints left impressions on snow. He might have a career left playing a ghost but that's about the extent of his career possibillities. Thank goodnesss, Cunningham is around to dole out heaps of Connery-like gravitas, probably at a third of the cost of Sean's old price tag. The Vault is a curiously international production with everything about it Spanish except the actors who are almost entirely English. Mostly generic with a few fragile tendrils of originality seeking something to hold onto, The Vault does not deserve a recommendation, but I didn't hate it either.

Netflix

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyFan and Osprey

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
A trio of Randolph Scott-Budd Boetticher flicks.

My familiarity with Randolph Scott was limited to a Statler Brothers song from their greatest hits album my mom played a lot in my youth. I knew he was a cowboy. My only familiarity with Boetticher was that he's one of those directors a little forgotten to time that other directors and writers seem to really like. I recall a bit of a hubbub around a box set of his movies being released a decade or so ago as a worth and overdue re-release.

7 Men From Now
. Our Hero is out to avenge his wife who had been gunned down in a robbery. The great title sums up the story nicely. In addition to Scott's sturdy work as the noble, but focused hero he gets to play off a wonderfully lively Lee Marvin who straddles the line of being helpful and being a hurdle. It's an efficient, straight arrow of a Western. Entertaining and unfussy.

The Tall T
. Our Hero hitches a ride on stagecoach that gets waylaid by bandits who hold him and his fellow riders hostage. As great as Marvin was as the foil in the previous movie, Richard Boone is even better here. Scott and Boone are opposite sides of the same old saddlebags. I love good cards-on-the-table, no-BS, good-guy-bad-guy chatter and this has a couple of scenes of cards-on-the-table, no BS, good-guy-bad-guy chatter. Based on an Elmore Leonard story (and having more than a few parallels to Leonard's novel Hombre, which also became a movie).

Decision at Sundown. This was a miss for me. Starts out interesting with an opening 20 minutes or so where it looks like Our Hero may actually be Our Villain. Nope, just another revenge tale for a wronged love. It settles into a prolonged siege story, but it's more ponderous than tense. Now it does do something interesting toward the end that explains more of the inciting incident and puts what I would say is an unexpected spin on Scott's motivations. Though I thought it was an intriguing idea that felt a little out of place in a 1950s man's man sorta Western to me, it was dramatically inert. So I kinda left it shrugging my shoulders.

Three down. Three more to go.

One unifying thing that I do find satisfying as a movie watcher is how lean these movies were. Not one over 80 minutes and no need to even be longer. It's nice reminders that efficient, entertaining storytelling is possible. Nothing wrong with a simple problem and a handful of characters.

In an age where it feels like every movie is 2 hours, 15 minutes at a minimum, the speed with which these oldies work was welcome.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
That Obscure Object of Desire (1977) - 7.5/10

I think Buñuel is a bit clumsy in his final act and how he ends films but the journey there especially with his coloured stuff is really good and he does love using the pathetic man-devilish woman dynamic. Also have to respect when a character can make you go back and forth between being intrigued by and hating a character and ending the movie with your feelings on that character being as confused as the protagonist she's stringing along.

I think using the train scenes and retelling the story are a decent plot device but the train scenes were much weaker than the rest of the film and just seemed to be used to pad out the length.

member 51464

The Green Knight - 6/10 or so. It added a lot to the source material, which makes sense due to how short it is. That said, some of the changes from the plot seemed silly to me. I did not care for how they ended it and I think keeping to the original would have been better.

Has nobody else yet seen Stillwater? I am surprised I was the only one to reveal it so far. I don't watch much TV, but I have read that the trailer was misleading and turned people off.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I needed your wisdom to remind me to keep calm! That, followed by OzzyFan's take on A Ghost Story, and then the Pretension comment, just too much for me not to break down curled up in a ball on the floor.

I'm just curious, what didn't you like about the "Ghost Story" review? All of it? The knocking of some of Lowery's decisions/techniques? The dislike of the obsessing on a nihilistic meaning of life? Something else?

I enjoyed The Green Knight and Pete's Dragon he did, but A Ghost Story, while intelligent and stylistically different, personally didn't connect to me and as stated previously, made some very odd choices, and for lack of a better term felt "overly emo whiney". If it wasn't for the showing bittersweet descendent traditions from ancestors as a way of living on, it was mostly just self loathing whine from Affleck's death on. Albeit this will probably make you shake your head even more. lol

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I'm just curious, what didn't you like about the "Ghost Story" review? All of it? The knocking of some of Lowery's decisions/techniques? The dislike of the obsessing on a nihilistic meaning of life? Something else?

I enjoyed The Green Knight and Pete's Dragon he did, but A Ghost Story, while intelligent and stylistically different, personally didn't connect to me and as stated previously, made some very odd choices, and for lack of a better term felt "overly emo whiney". If it wasn't for the showing bittersweet descendent traditions from ancestors as a way of living on, it was mostly just self loathing whine from Affleck's death on. Albeit this will probably make you shake your head even more. lol

Don't mind me! It just felt like kind of a continuity to the previous anti-intellectualism that I was projecting in these few reviews. It was just me struggling with a short series of posts - it's on me, no worry!

Reactions: OzzyFan

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
The Suicide Squad (2021)
3.00 out of 4stars

"Supervillains Harley Quinn, Bloodsport, Peacemaker and a collection of nutty cons at Belle Reve prison join the super-secret, super-shady Task Force X as they are dropped off at the remote, enemy-infused island of Corto Maltese."
I was thinking about how I should review this movie in words. Simply put, it's a joyfully bizarre R rated Dark Comedy Action movie that delivers those popcorn goods all around. There were a few laugh out loud moments for me and many giggles throughout along with the graphic action and notable set pieces. It tries to sprinkle in a couple things that don't quite work as planned, but that's insignificant in the big picture. Definitely a success for DC and Gunn in my book. Kinda curious where they go with a PG-13 Guardians 3 after Gunn did this.

Don't mind me! It just felt like kind of a continuity to the previous anti-intellectualism that I was projecting in these few reviews. It was just me struggling with a short series of posts - it's on me, no worry!

:thumbu:

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
A trio of Randolph Scott-Budd Boetticher flicks.

My familiarity with Randolph Scott was limited to a Statler Brothers song from their greatest hits album my mom played a lot in my youth. I knew he was a cowboy. My only familiarity with Boetticher was that he's one of those directors a little forgotten to time that other directors and writers seem to really like. I recall a bit of a hubbub around a box set of his movies being released a decade or so ago as a worth and overdue re-release.

7 Men From Now
. Our Hero is out to avenge his wife who had been gunned down in a robbery. The great title sums up the story nicely. In addition to Scott's sturdy work as the noble, but focused hero he gets to play off a wonderfully lively Lee Marvin who straddles the line of being helpful and being a hurdle. It's an efficient, straight arrow of a Western. Entertaining and unfussy.

The Tall T
. Our Hero hitches a ride on stagecoach that gets waylaid by bandits who hold him and his fellow riders hostage. As great as Marvin was as the foil in the previous movie, Richard Boone is even better here. Scott and Boone are opposite sides of the same old saddlebags. I love good cards-on-the-table, no-BS, good-guy-bad-guy chatter and this has a couple of scenes of cards-on-the-table, no BS, good-guy-bad-guy chatter. Based on an Elmore Leonard story (and having more than a few parallels to Leonard's novel Hombre, which also became a movie).

Decision at Sundown. This was a miss for me. Starts out interesting with an opening 20 minutes or so where it looks like Our Hero may actually be Our Villain. Nope, just another revenge tale for a wronged love. It settles into a prolonged siege story, but it's more ponderous than tense. Now it does do something interesting toward the end that explains more of the inciting incident and puts what I would say is an unexpected spin on Scott's motivations. Though I thought it was an intriguing idea that felt a little out of place in a 1950s man's man sorta Western to me, it was dramatically inert. So I kinda left it shrugging my shoulders.

Three down. Three more to go.

One unifying thing that I do find satisfying as a movie watcher is how lean these movies were. Not one over 80 minutes and no need to even be longer. It's nice reminders that efficient, entertaining storytelling is possible. Nothing wrong with a simple problem and a handful of characters.

In an age where it feels like every movie is 2 hours, 15 minutes at a minimum, the speed with which these oldies work was welcome.

So many movies feels like they could be told in less time. Think I have seen most if not all of the Budd Boetticher/Randolph Scott westerns. Thought some were very good, not formula at all and well shot. Ride Lonesome comes to mind. Randolph Scott one of the best actors in westerns.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
The Suicide Squad (2021)
3.00 out of 4stars

Definitely a success for DC and Gunn in my book. Kinda curious where they go with a PG-13 Guardians 3 after Gunn did this.

What do you think of the ending? I'm of the opinion that Gunn isn't that great at closing films out but this was probably his best ending despite being mixed. At least no 'dance off' or crap like that.

I also do think that this benefited from the R rating, in the GOTG films, it feels like he's trying to be too edge-lordy and it might be cos of the PG-13 restriction causing that.

I also think Marvel is in a league ahead of DC but I'm perfectly fine if DC goes the route of making weirder films even if they aren't R-rated like this one rather than the Wonder Woman 1984 type crap.

Also I'm probably gonna end up watching Birds of Prey, I actually quite like Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn and thought initially I'd hate it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad