Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
No one here has said that the original is a great film. All that anyone has suggested is that the remake doesn't live up to the original, which seems like a reasonable opinion.
Oh sorry if you thought I was implying anybody here was guilty of it. I've only been reading this type of comments everywhere (for some reason, I guess I made a quick search on something about the film, my FB feed was filled with Road House stuff), and I asked kihei if he was falling for it, since he was comparing it to films that had great remakes... Nothing to get anybody all worked up.

Reactions: kihei and OzzyFan

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
1711607549992.png

Drive-Away Dolls(2023) - 6.5/10

Ethan Coen's newest work is a comedy-thriller following a couple lesbians who mistakenly take a rental car meant for a criminal syndicate to Tallahassee. Would say heavier emphasis on the comedy rather than the thriller.

It's no Big Lebowski but it had some good lines. A couple cameos from Pedro Pascal and Matt Damon. Not sure which odd couple had the better dynamic, the lesbians or the goons chasing them. The introvert/extrovert trope is well worn but I thought the cast did a good job playing off each other.

Lots of weird Coen style transitions. Not sure what the acid tape visuals were about. All in all a decent self contained story that doesn't take itself too seriously. Had a couple twists, couple dildos, mild makeouts. Won't be everyone's cup of tea, but a fun turn your brain off movie with a couple laughs is what it promises and that's exactly what it delivers.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Oh sorry if you thought I was implying anybody here was guilty of it. I've only been reading this type of comments everywhere (for some reason, I guess I made a quick search on something about the film, my FB feed was filled with Road House stuff), and I asked kihei if he was falling for it, since he was comparing it to films that had great remakes... Nothing to get anybody all worked up.
Well, that went completely over my head.

I have a huge Patrick Swayze problem at the best of times and the original was definitely not the best of times. Though with Swayze I don't know what was.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Though my movie watching does includes some deliberate choices (focusing on a director or series or genre or what I can get my wife to agree to watch), my general approach is often more improvisational ... what am I feeling in this moment? (Like, jazz it's really about the movies I DON'T watch, zing!). I have watch lists on the various services. Sometimes I'll watch something immediately. Sometimes a movie can sit there for literal years and I hover over it every few weeks and decide ... "eh, not today."

But if there's one sure-fire way to kick me in the ass it's the "leaving this month" notification on a streaming service. My primal brain just assumes "Oh no I may never be able to see this again!" eventhough that's often not the case as movies tend to trade off between services and Tubi, in particular, has a pretty clear pattern of cycling movies on and off every few months. But it works on me.

That's how I found myself watching two latter day Walter Hill movies -- Bullet in the Head and The Assignment. I did go on a Hill kick a couple years ago in conjunction with reading an excellent book about his career, but I also felt I saw what I wanted to see. Didn't need to be a completionist. But these two were sitting there and are LEAVING THIS MONTH, so f-it.

What I found most interesting is how both echoed some of his previous, better work. Bullet has a mismatched partnership (hitman and cop) reluctantly teaming up to deal with bad dudes, corruption and assorted shenanigans, not unlike 48 Hrs, with San Fran swapped for New Orleans. The Assignment hinges on a bad person who undergoes a radical physical surgery. The question is: does that change who they fundamentally are? Hill trod similar neo-noir/mad scientist mashup ground in the underrated Johnny Handsome.

It's probably no shock to say that the earlier work is far superior. Watching these makes you want to watch those. In Bullet, Hill still displays a great sense of place and he knows his way around an action sequence — there's a climactic axe fight in this that's pretty damn good. But the whole thing is flat. Sylvester Stallone is our Nick Nolte here (gruff, quippy, racist). Sly is an actor who I've grown to appreciate in the last decade or so but humor is one of his major weaknesses. With the exception of Demolition Man, the dude just cannot deliver jokes. Quip after quip just tumbles out of his mouth and flops dead on the floor here. He's kinda flat in general, really. The big bad is Jason Momoa (parallel to or or right off Game of Thrones). He's trying to be a swaggering badass but it just isn't connecting. He feels too green. If this were a few years later he'd probably be pretty good.

The Assignment was controversial immediately because the aforementioned surgery involves taking a male hitman transitioning him against his will into a woman. Michelle Rodriguez plays both and gives what I'll call a noble, but unsuccessful effort. It's really her vocal choices that kinda drove me nuts. Sigourney Weaver plays the mad doctor here who executes the plan as a revenge scheme. She clearly relishes playing a Hannibal Lectre-esque genius who gets long stretches of the movie to talk about Shakespeare, Poe, philosophy and other bullshit. I'm reluctant to wade too far into the "offensiveness" of the movie and its handling of trans issues other than to say I feel like arguing about that gives the movie more weight than it probably ever intended and definitely more than it deserves. This is trashy pulp. I don't say that as a justification, more a statement of fact. The movie is a mess — a sytlistic mishmash of comic book art, camera confessionals, excessive monologuing and merely ok action. There are some shots that are clearly intended to provoke, but I feel like it's provocation for provocation's sake, not really a mission statement or anything. Whether you find it offensive or not is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm not sure it works looking through any lens.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

The Truth vs Alex Jones (2024) Directed by Dan Reed 8A (documentary)

In 2012, 20-year-old Adam Lanza entered Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut and shot and killed twenty children and six adults. The children were mostly 6-year-olds, though a few were 7. Within a day, Alex Jones was on his Info Wars show claiming it was all a hoax. He didn't just broadcast this nonsense. Info Wars sent "experts" to Sandy Hook to confront and harass the parents, one of the reporters even managing to get a meeting with the the local school board where he informed them that they were all actors in an tragedy that never happened. The parents had to suffer not only the trauma of losing a child to gun violence but also the harassment that followed as Jones kept claiming with disgusting bravado that the massacre was a hoax and his followers kept threatening the families. Subsequently two different trials took place that accused Jones of deliberately spreading lies for profits, damaging people's reputations in the process. How powerful were these lies? At one of the trials, it is noted that at that time 24% of Americans, roughly 75 million people, either believed outright that Sandy Hook never happened or seriously doubted the veracity of the official reports.

Both trials ended in verdicts of massive damages, close to a billion dollars in all, against Jones. He has yet to pay a penny and has declared bankruptcy. Info Wars is still going strong. Jones comes across as a creature who lives at the bottom of a cesspool. Ultimately he is kind of irrelevant--even after a nuclear war, there will always be cockroaches still scurrying about. The real surprise is that one in four American adults bought into this conspiracy theory. That is a percentage that leaves me gobsmacked. In a way this documentary chronicles a compendium of fault lines running through American society. Not just the merciless gun violence, this time perpetrated on first and second graders, nor the hoax conspiracy theories of Jones, but why does the school board agree to hear a nutso spouting self-evident lies to begin with, and why are so many Americans so gullible to conspiracy theories in the first place? The Truth vs Alex Jones presents quite dispassionately American society at its lowest and most dangerous ebb.

On HBO
I wish HF had a sad react for posts like this.

It's unimaginable how this kind of nonsense could be spread and perpetuated by folks like Jones, especially weaponizing social media. I was heart broken to realize that multiple people in my personal life that I cared for and respected bought into and actively spread the Sandy Hook conspiracies. As much as this topic interests me, I'm not sure I could make it through watching it without getting sad, frustrated, irate, and sad again.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I wish HF had a sad react for posts like this.

It's unimaginable how this kind of nonsense could be spread and perpetuated by folks like Jones, especially weaponizing social media. I was heart broken to realize that multiple people in my personal life that I cared for and respected bought into and actively spread the Sandy Hook conspiracies. As much as this topic interests me, I'm not sure I could make it through watching it without getting sad, frustrated, irate, and sad again.

As I was scrolling thru the channel guide yesterday this was on one of the HBO channels and as soon as I saw the subject I just moved onto some show I had seen several times before, as a parent of a 1st grader, just the thought of this whole thing makes my knees buckle, and breaks my heart. Jones makes my skin crawl to begin with but this whole ordeal is just so far above and beyond scumbaggery.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I have watch lists on the various services. Sometimes I'll watch something immediately. Sometimes a movie can sit there for literal years and I hover over it every few weeks and decide ... "eh, not today."
This got me wondering. Could you list some of the movies that "sit there for years"? That's an interesting category.

Reactions: OzzyFan

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
This got me wondering. Could you list some of the movies that "sit there for years"? That's an interesting category.

Sure thing. These have been on my lists the longest from a couple of the streamers I subscribe to:
Criterion: Andrew Haigh's Weekend, Mysterious Object at Noon, How to Get Ahead in Advertising, Wim Wenders' Until the End of the World.

Tubi: Lone Wolf McQuade, Rock 'n' Roll HIgh School, Cube, Robo Vampire, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

HBO/MAX: Shiva Baby, Cabaret, Superman III

Kanopy: Embrace of the Serpent, Tommaso, Yes God Yes, Sophie's Choice, J'Accuse

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sure thing. These have been on my lists the longest from a couple of the streamers I subscribe to:
Criterion: Andrew Haigh's Weekend, Mysterious Object at Noon, How to Get Ahead in Advertising, Wim Wenders' Until the End of the World.

Tubi: Lone Wolf McQuade, Rock 'n' Roll HIgh School, Cube, Robo Vampire, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

HBO/MAX: Shiva Baby, Cabaret, Superman III

Kanopy: Embrace of the Serpent, Tommaso, Yes God Yes, Sophie's Choice, J'Accuse
Now that is a diverse list. I'd put a plug in for Mysterious Object at Noon, though I think it helps if you know a bit about the "game" it is playing around with before seeing it. Also, I love everything Weerasethakul, my favourite 21st century director, so I'm a bit biased.

I've been meaning to watch Sophie's Choice again, but I have put it off, like, forever. For a parent, the premise is so painful, so worst-nightmare-ever, that every time I think, okay, tonight's the night, I go, oh, well, there's a dogsled competition that I should catch. I just cringe away from it. Why do I even want to watch it again? Because I think my response was so emotional the first time that most of the movie lives behind a cloud in my mind. And I want to see if the acting is as good as I think it was. Tonight, perhaps? No, thank goodness for March Madness and the Miami Open. There always seems to be something that I can hide behind.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Now that is a diverse list. I'd put a plug in for Mysterious Object at Noon, though I think it helps if you know a bit about the "game" it is playing around with before seeing it. Also, I love everything Weerasethakul, my favourite 21st century director, so I'm a bit biased.

I've been meaning to watch Sophie's Choice again, but I have put it off, like, forever. For a parent, the premise is so painful, so worst-nightmare-ever, that every time I think, okay, tonight's the night, I go, oh, well, there's a dogsled competition that I should catch. I just cringe away from it. Why do I even want to watch it again? Because I think my response was so emotional the first time that most of the movie lives behind a cloud in my mind. And I want to see if the acting is as good as I think it was. Tonight, perhaps? No, thank goodness for March Madness and the Miami Open. There always seems to be something that I can hide behind.
Sophie's Choice is such an interesting movie. Haven't watched it since I had kids, and don't think I will, but tonally you're kind of expecting one thing and 90% of the movie is something else entirely. It has a similar rep to Terms of Endearment, but similar to Terms, it's more because of all of the movies that have imitated it afterward (poorly) than any flaws it has in itself.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

I'm familiar with the game so I don't think that'll be an issue. I've still only seen one of Weerasethakul's movie, but loved it (Uncle Boonme). I am likely to knock this one out soon. One of my goals for the year was to watch more the World Cinema Project's discoveries/restorations and this on that list. So I'd bet I finally watch it sooner rather than later.

But then again, Tubi might tell me American Ninja 4 is about to go away and that will distract me.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Speaking of movies a long time on a "to watch" list that I finally got around to:

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

So I used to be a pretty huge Tarantino fan. Kind of started getting more tepid on him with his post-Inglourious Basterds filmography (which I think is a stone cold classic). Django was good, Hateful Eight was just okay, and I was not interested in the subject matter of this one so it kind of sat unwatched for a long time.

Aaaand I think I was kind of right. I honestly found this fairly boring through a lot of stretches. There are some very good, sweet moments (the girl telling Leo he is a great actor on set, Tate watching her own film), but so much of it was just slow. It doesn't feel as tight, the dialogue doesn't have that sort of interesting patter he's normally known for.

IDK - maybe it doesn't stand out anymore because so much of the current generation of filmmakers were inspired by him to where this feels kind of rote? In a weird way, thinking about Tarantino's influence, I wonder if it is more on either the PG-13 Marvelly movies with the pithy dialogue and pop culture references than the actual R rated cinema/art housey films.

Great use of Chekov's Flamethrower though.

6/10 - well made but kind of disappointing.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969) by Peter R. Hunt 5.5/10

diana-rigg-george-lazenby-on-her-majestys-secret-service

This film's a bit of a mess. It does have some strong suits or parts, but overall it's just way too much of a rollercoaster (in a negative way), on several levels.

Firstly, mostly when Diana Rigg's in the picture it's pretty great, but even she can't level out some of the silliness towards the end. Telly Savalas it's impossible to take seriously as a villain, way too cartoonish.

For instance, there's a shorter fight sequence among some bells in a barn in a Swiss village, in the latter parts of the film, which is clearly meant as some type of humorous homage, and I have to admit I did chuckle slightly at this sequence, but not because it was funny but because it was so stupidly ridiculous.

There's a melancholic strain that runs throughout this movie, which is very appreciable and poignant, though unfortunately a lot of this is quashed by a really stupid midsection which could perhaps be best described as genealogical sex farce (or something), with ex-model George Lazenby running around in a kilt at a Swiss ski resort trying to nail everything that moves.

It's a watchable film, though very up and down. Also, Bond movies in general I think would be much better with a more realistic set of villains, meaning intelligence vs intelligence, spy vs spy, and not just some corny bald guy in the Alps. The latter only works IMO if it's some larger-than-life figure like Goldfinger, and even that is a bit of a stretch.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Alright - so then Lady Bird popped up on recommended movies and decided to turn that on.

f***ing kismet. What a joyful, wonderful film. It's basically a Francis Ha prequel but it's okay to act like that when you're a teenager. Laurie Metcalf is wonderful. Whoever plays Lady Bird (not familiar with the actress) is hilarious and wonderful. Timothy Chamalet was low key hilarious?

Coming of age stuff walks a really fine line where it can either feel saccharine or it can feel cynical and somehow this walks the line and feels very... real. I expected to kind of like this movie but did not expect to love it. I want to watch this like 20 more times. The only reason I'm not putting it as a 10 is because I tend to wait until I've seen a movie a few times to see how it resonates on multiple viewings, but I love this and I can't wait until my daughter is older to watch it with her?

9/10 and could be a 10/10 if it holds up. What a joy.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm familiar with the game so I don't think that'll be an issue. I've still only seen one of Weerasethakul's movie, but loved it (Uncle Boonme). I am likely to knock this one out soon. One of my goals for the year was to watch more the World Cinema Project's discoveries/restorations and this on that list. So I'd bet I finally watch it sooner rather than later.

But then again, Tubi might tell me American Ninja 4 is about to go away and that will distract me.
I forgot that you didn't comment on Memoria in the "Movie of the Week" thread. If you have only seen Uncle Boonme Who Can Recall His Past Lives I wouldn't council watching Mysterious Object at Noon next. I saw it after three or four other Weerasethakul films, and I was glad I did. It fits in his cannon but in a low-budget, oblique, quasi-experimental way--kind of like an offramp project. Having seen several other of his films really helped put it into context for me. I'd recommend Tropical Malady next, followed by Blissfully Yours and Syndromes and a Century, all of which predate Uncle Boonme Who Can Recall His Past Lives. Here's my ranking of all of his films:

Uncle Boonme Who Can Recall His Past Lives
Tropical Malady
Memoria
Blissfully Yours
Cemetery of Splendour
Syndromes and a Century
Mysterious Object at Noon
Mekong Hotel
(though I love it for atmospheric reasons alone)

I'd argue that the top six are all masterworks in one way or another. Just an endlessly fascinating director able to communicate a totally other world view.

Just my two cents....

Last edited:

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
I watched Cocktail for the first time.

What a strange film. It made sense when I read about it after watching that quite a bit of it was rewritten when rising star Tom Cruise signed on. It really does feel like two separate movies melded together as he seems to exist in a world apart from everyone else.

For what I understand was a movie marketed as a sort of lighthearted romcom, it definitely has some incredibly dark moments. And Tom seems like a rather awful person in it considering how poorly he was treating Elisabeth Shue's character over a dare. Toxic masculinity and 80s excess on full display in this one.

I did enjoy most of the Coughlin's Law moments, though.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
The Pink Panther (Edwards, 1963) – Peter Sellers literally steals the show in this original film of the PP series. Taking on a role he wasn't supposed to play, remodeling it into a comedic performance and nailing it enough to convince everyone to make it the central piece of the movie (the Phantom was supposed to be the main character), Sellers probably made himself sick on diet pills and overwork for this one, but it marks his first collaboration with Blake Edwards and his entry in superstardom. The film itself has a lot of fun though uneven vignettes and relies a lot on simple slapstick built around Inspector Clouseau's goofiness. Many elements here presage great things to come – especially in the last part where you can feel The Party coming – and the film gains from being mostly unrelated to the later PP formula. 5/10

A Shot In the Dark
(Edwards, 1964) – Now this is the true original PP movie as we know them. Inspector Clouseau gains his famous nonsensical French accent, and Dreyfus, Kato and cie make their entry (none of that is in the first film, which wasn't conceived as a Clouseau vehicle). It's a pretty good film too, based on a play, it's a classic “bring everyone to the living room, I'll solve the case” detective story where everyone (and no one!) is a suspect, despite the fact that the maid is present with the murder weapons in her hands at the first few murder sites. Maybe not the funniest of the PP films, but the classiest, and still fun enough to rank pretty high among my favorite comedies of all times. 7/10

Inspector Clouseau
(Yorkin, 1968) – There's good bits of comedy in there somewhere. It's just clumsy, weakly executed, and so very badly acted (doesn't help that they replaced Sellers with an incompetent – maybe part of the joke? – who makes Clouseau feel more like a r***** than an imbecile; sound problems and re-dub, always on his dialogues, just amplifies how weak the delivery is of his often pretty funny lines). The overall result is mostly awkward, kind of feel like an amateur theater group version of a PP film – Yorkin just can't direct slapstick the way Edwards does – but it has its moments. 3/10

The Return of the Pink Panther
(Edwards, 1975) – This is a return to the original story (the world famous Pink Panther diamond and the Phantom thief – here played by Plummer instead of Niven), with the additional cast of A Shot In the Dark (Dreyfus, Cato with a C, etc.). More importantly, the return of Sellers, Edwards and Mancini, really the trio that makes these films work. The film opens on the robbery of the diamond, which is treated with grand serious if not for one slapstick joke during the escape – and then, of course, Clouseau is put on the case. This is the film that introduced me to Sellers and Edwards as a kid, and the reason why I'll go through the DVD-set once every few years for the rest of my life. I've seen it so many times that it doesn't work too well comedy-wise for me anymore, it still has its moments (the introduction of Clouseau with the minkey, of course), but not everything works – personally, Catherine Schell's Lady Litton is a timing disaster and her reactions to Clouseau smothers most of the comedy (Clouseau's original innocent goofiness is really pushed to over-the-top slapstick from this one on, his accent is also cranked to 10 and will reach 20 in the next two films). There's something off-putting with the ending too, which feels botched and mismanaged (resolution comes from the museum guide's retelling of the story). Not a great film – though it has a few interesting intertextual elements – but still a pretty good comedy, a genre that can often work fine without much refinement. 4.5/10

The Pink Panther Strikes Again
(Edwards, 1976) – The previous film was already over the top in its humor, this one just goes all in. Dreyfus is now a Bond villain with machinery able to destroy continents, and the clumsy inspector is just clumsier. It feels really formulaic now, the sequence of assassins going after Clouseau and only eliminating each other is even a little dull from repetition, but it also has some of my favorite Clouseau moments (him trying to get in the Castle is just pure gold). The inspector was always a fan of silly costumes and role playing, but he now gets his stuff tailored and that's too pushed over-the-top. Probably a slightly lesser film than Return of the PP, it still might just be the funniest entry of the whole series, and its absurd world-ending threat helps its rewatchability (even the title is complete nonsense, the Pink Panther, the diamond not being part of this film at all – as for the credits' cartoon character, it's probably its best bits of the series). 4.5/10

Revenge of the Pink Panther
(Edwards, 1978) – The film suffers a lot from repetition, nothing really new or fresh, but this is the last time Sellers played Inspector Clouseau (and he was in pretty bad shape at that point), and only for that, it's still somewhat worth it. Edwards couldn't even do without Dreyfus, so he's just back at it, with no mention of him being disintegrated in the previous entry. Despite the film pushing it too far with the costumes and the nonsensical accent, it still kind of works as a low-tier PP film, until the silly chase and fireworks finale which is just bad comedy. A (very) few funny scenes, don't save this one – the magic is mostly gone. 3/10

Trail of the Pink Panther
(Edwards, 1982) – Certainly, 2 years after his death, Peter Sellers couldn't play Clouseau one last time... but yeah. This film is almost interesting just for existing. It's part experimental collage of outtakes, recycling of already used material, and faux Clouseau (and nothing works about the Sellers impostor, especially not the voice imitation), and part desperate attempt at making what could either be a failed homage or a mockery. The result is mostly embarrassing, and the constant “jokes” about the lady reporter's physique might just be the worst of it (it's also the first film of the series with (brief) nudity – they just knew they had nothing). The encompassing “story” trying to hold these scattered pieces together just doesn't work (it's not even absurd, it's just bad – and the Citizen Kane-ish investigation is just an obvious excuse to push the movie's runtime to its required 90 minutes). The young Clouseau episode could have been interesting had it not been rushed. Still, the best part of the film is the “best of” montage of scenes from the previous entries making up the end credits, which says a lot. 2/10

Curse of the Pink Panther
(Edwards, 1983) – The film opens as another lazy attempt at cashing in on the PP series, recycling the opening of Trail of the Pink Panther. Dialogues are often stale, and the slapstick ain't what it was with Sellers, but the film has a few pretty funny moments you wished he had filmed himself. It feels like that new American inspector stumbles into what often feels like a real formulaic PP movie, with the usual faces, sets, exotic locations, and some recycled jokes. There's French in France in this one (at last) – a few lines at least, and a sign in the Clouseau Museum which is so badly written it can only be a voluntary joke. Inspector Clouseau is forced in the story, now played by Roger Moore after plastic surgery, but he's completely out of character. The film is generally despised, but it's a lot better than the previous one – it's a bland movie made by a bored Blake Edwards, but I still laughed (more than I should have). 3/10

I'm missing the Son and the remakes, but couldn't go on. Maybe at some other time.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The Pink Panther (Edwards, 1963) – Peter Sellers literally steals the show in this original film of the PP series. Taking on a role he wasn't supposed to play, remodeling it into a comedic performance and nailing it enough to convince everyone to make it the central piece of the movie (the Phantom was supposed to be the main character), Sellers probably made himself sick on diet pills and overwork for this one, but it marks his first collaboration with Blake Edwards and his entry in superstardom. The film itself has a lot of fun though uneven vignettes and relies a lot on simple slapstick built around Inspector Clouseau's goofiness. Many elements here presage great things to come – especially in the last part where you can feel The Party coming – and the film gains from being mostly unrelated to the later PP formula. 5/10

A Shot In the Dark
(Edwards, 1964) – Now this is the true original PP movie as we know them. Inspector Clouseau gains his famous nonsensical French accent, and Dreyfus, Kato and cie make their entry (none of that is in the first film, which wasn't conceived as a Clouseau vehicle). It's a pretty good film too, based on a play, it's a classic “bring everyone to the living room, I'll solve the case” detective story where everyone (and no one!) is a suspect, despite the fact that the maid is present with the murder weapons in her hands at the first few murder sites. Maybe not the funniest of the PP films, but the classiest, and still fun enough to rank pretty high among my favorite comedies of all times. 7/10

Inspector Clouseau
(Yorkin, 1968) – There's good bits of comedy in there somewhere. It's just clumsy, weakly executed, and so very badly acted (doesn't help that they replaced Sellers with an incompetent – maybe part of the joke? – who makes Clouseau feel more like a r***** than an imbecile; sound problems and re-dub, always on his dialogues, just amplifies how weak the delivery is of his often pretty funny lines). The overall result is mostly awkward, kind of feel like an amateur theater group version of a PP film – Yorkin just can't direct slapstick the way Edwards does – but it has its moments. 3/10

(Edwards, 1975) – This is a return to the original story (the world famous Pink Panther diamond and the Phantom thief – here played by Plummer instead of Niven), with the additional cast of A Shot In the Dark (Dreyfus, Cato with a C, etc.). More importantly, the return of Sellers, Edwards and Mancini, really the trio that makes these films work. The film opens on the robbery of the diamond, which is treated with grand serious if not for one slapstick joke during the escape – and then, of course, Clouseau is put on the case. This is the film that introduced me to Sellers and Edwards as a kid, and the reason why I'll go through the DVD-set once every few years for the rest of my life. I've seen it so many times that it doesn't work too well comedy-wise for me anymore, it still has its moments (the introduction of Clouseau with the minkey, of course), but not everything works – personally, Catherine Schell's Lady Litton is a timing disaster and her reactions to Clouseau smothers most of the comedy (Clouseau's original innocent goofiness is really pushed to over-the-top slapstick from this one on, his accent is also cranked to 10 and will reach 20 in the next two films). There's something off-putting with the ending too, which feels botched and mismanaged (resolution comes from the museum guide's retelling of the story). Not a great film – though it has a few interesting intertextual elements – but still a pretty good comedy, a genre that can often work fine without much refinement. 4.5/10

(Edwards, 1976) – The previous film was already over the top in its humor, this one just goes all in. Dreyfus is now a Bond villain with machinery able to destroy continents, and the clumsy inspector is just clumsier. It feels really formulaic now, the sequence of assassins going after Clouseau and only eliminating each other is even a little dull from repetition, but it also has some of my favorite Clouseau moments (him trying to get in the Castle is just pure gold). The inspector was always a fan of silly costumes and role playing, but he now gets his stuff tailored and that's too pushed over-the-top. Probably a slightly lesser film than Return of the PP, it still might just be the funniest entry of the whole series, and its absurd world-ending threat helps its rewatchability (even the title is complete nonsense, the Pink Panther, the diamond not being part of this film at all – as for the credits' cartoon character, it's probably its best bits of the series). 4.5/10

(Edwards, 1978) – The film suffers a lot from repetition, nothing really new or fresh, but this is the last time Sellers played Inspector Clouseau (and he was in pretty bad shape at that point), and only for that, it's still somewhat worth it. Edwards couldn't even do without Dreyfus, so he's just back at it, with no mention of him being disintegrated in the previous entry. Despite the film pushing it too far with the costumes and the nonsensical accent, it still kind of works as a low-tier PP film, until the silly chase and fireworks finale which is just bad comedy. A (very) few funny scenes, don't save this one – the magic is mostly gone. 3/10

(Edwards, 1982) – Certainly, 2 years after his death, Peter Sellers couldn't play Clouseau one last time... but yeah. This film is almost interesting just for existing. It's part experimental collage of outtakes, recycling of already used material, and faux Clouseau (and nothing works about the Sellers impostor, especially not the voice imitation), and part desperate attempt at making what could either be a failed homage or a mockery. The result is mostly embarrassing, and the constant “jokes” about the lady reporter's physique might just be the worst of it (it's also the first film of the series with (brief) nudity – they just knew they had nothing). The encompassing “story” trying to hold these scattered pieces together just doesn't work (it's not even absurd, it's just bad – and the Citizen Kane-ish investigation is just an obvious excuse to push the movie's runtime to its required 90 minutes). The young Clouseau episode could have been interesting had it not been rushed. Still, the best part of the film is the “best of” montage of scenes from the previous entries making up the end credits, which says a lot. 2/10

(Edwards, 1983) – The film opens as another lazy attempt at cashing in on the PP series, recycling the opening of Trail of the Pink Panther. Dialogues are often stale, and the slapstick ain't what it was with Sellers, but the film has a few pretty funny moments you wished he had filmed himself. It feels like that new American inspector stumbles into what often feels like a real formulaic PP movie, with the usual faces, sets, exotic locations, and some recycled jokes. There's French in France in this one (at last) – a few lines at least, and a sign in the Clouseau Museum which is so badly written it can only be a voluntary joke. Inspector Clouseau is forced in the story, now played by Roger Moore after plastic surgery, but he's completely out of character. The film is generally despised, but it's a lot better than the previous one – it's a bland movie made by a bored Blake Edwards, but I still laughed (more than I should have). 3/10

I'm missing the Son and the remakes, but couldn't go on. Maybe at some other time.
Noble work.

I certainly can't endorse the Steve Martin remake BUT the scene where they're trying to teach him how to speak English "I would like to buy a hamburger" is just a sublimely silly bit of comedy that I still find myself seeking out every now and then for a laugh (just the clip though not the full movie).

Edit: why not? here's the link (though it cuts off his last painful exclamation of "der burger!!"

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Since it is Good Friday ...

The Long Good Friday. One of my favorite gangster movies ever. Bob Hoskins plays Harold Shand a bad dude striving for legitimacy with a big London land deal looming, but someone is out to make his Easter a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad weekend. I love how the plot doesn't really hand hold — several characters are introduced and killed before we even really understand what's going on. It's cleverly structured to keep you wrong footed throughout, just like Harold. I love its very 1980s synth score (despite coming out in 1979, I believe). It almost sounds like Goblin b-sides and evokes a horror movie, which at times it feels like. I love how nasty and brutal it is. Everyone is pretty much unambiguoulsy bad in this. No corners cut. But most of all I love Bob Hoskins who uncorks a monster of a performance, one with more complexity than a character like this often has. Between this and Mona Lisa, few have ever been better at snapping like a mad dog when they're emotionally wounded. His final car ride scene is right on par with similar, much more heralded sequences at the end of The Graduate and Michael Clayton.

Reactions: Chili and OzzyFan

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004

A Shot In the Dark

Inspector Clouseau

I should have skipped the Steve Martin Pink Panther films. He`s an infinitely funny dude but those are bad films, found the humour is quite a bit forced. There is really only one Clouseau, for me.

Read somewhere that Peter Sellers wasn`t available for Inspector Clouseau. Not sure which film he was working on, possibly The Party. Interesting that Sellers was in a film with Alan Arkin recently at the time (Woman Times Seven). `Great line: There is a time for laughing and a time for not laughing. And this isn`t one of them`.

I like a bunch of his films, my favorite is Two Way Stretch

Last edited:
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I should have skipped the Steve Martin Pink Panther films. He`s an infinitely funny dude but those are bad films, found the humour is quite a bit forced. There is really only one Clouseau, for me.

Read somewhere that Peter Sellers wasn`t available for Inspector Clouseau. Not sure which film he was working on, possibly The Party. Interesting that Sellers was in a film with Alan Arkin recently at the time (Woman Times Seven). `Great line: There is a time for laughing and a time for not laughing. And this isn`t one of them`.

I like a bunch of his films, my favorite is Two Way Stretch
Big fan of his. Being There, Dr. Stangelove, Lolita, of course, but a favorite of mine is Hoffman.

Reactions: Chili

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Noble work.

I certainly can't endorse the Steve Martin remake BUT the scene where they're trying to teach him how to speak English "I would like to buy a hamburger" is just a sublimely silly bit of comedy that I still find myself seeking out every now and then for a laugh (just the clip though not the full movie).

Edit: why not? here's the link (though it cuts off his last painful exclamation of "der burger!!"

I haven't seen the remakes. Couldn't help but think of Joey in this scene (the scene from Friends, not the (funnier?) English class one from Joey). Favorite English learning scenes for me are from Le goût des autres (great film):

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad