Last Memorial Day I Was Buying Stanley Cup Tickets

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Exactly one year ago (last Memorial Day) I purchased tickets for both games 2 and 5.
It makes you wonder if we will ever see the Devils in a Stanley Cup Finals again. With Brodeur in the last year of his contract and Lou getting up there in age, our greatest forward ever (Elias) a UFA it may take a new generation to lead us to the Cup.

I just wish we had won the Cup given that we had home ice and I couldn't see the Kings continuing at their hot pace.

What if Fayne had converted in game 1?
What if Kovy was at full strength and didn't hit the crossbar in game 2?
What if the refs didn't screw us in game 6?

Oh well...

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
no memory threads! please! lets not get all rangers-y about it. that fan base still splats every time sam rosens nasally voice brings them back to 1994, bringing to mind their famous rat infested popcorn and their leader’s face streaming with tears like a one direction fan who didn’t get backstage.

it happened, it sucks, but we have bigger t****** to lick right now, nah mean?

Sik02gt

Mar 4, 2013
my biggest concern is the goaltending issue.. his clock is ticking.. started showing the second half of last season. Who are we going to use in martys place? lou wont just up and leave us high and dry but martys play might

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Seriously? Of course we will.

Nothing is ever a given (ala Leafs failures for decades or the Islanders decent from hockey gods to perennial jokes).. That said, as long as you make the NHL playoffs you have a shot.. It may take some luck, like last season having the Flyers fight the Pens to knock them off their game and get them out before we took out the Flyers, but any playoff team has a chance.. Unlike the NBA where the top teams are known all season so it's a huge joke, or baseball where few teams make it at all

Case and point, any run could be your last, so just enjoy and appreciate what you got.. Winning isn't what sells in sports.. Only 1 team really "wins" each season.. But the hope of this being the year we make that run and win it all, that's really what sells in sports

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Seriously? Of course we will.

Like Colin said there's no such thing as of course. I thought the Mets were destined for bigger and better things after 2006 but it turned out that year was their highlight of the last decade and a half with no revival imminent.

In that vein, one time I heard Steve Stone (longtime Cubs announcer) doing an interview and he joked when fans asked him whether they'd see the Cubs win a World Series in their lifetime, that his stock answer was always 'How long are you planning to live?'.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Guys, seriously, if you watch the Devils for the next 40-60 years, it's HIGHLY likely at least once we will see the Devils in the SCF again. The odds are on my side in this one.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Guys, seriously, if you watch the Devils for the next 40-60 years, it's HIGHLY likely at least once we will see the Devils in the SCF again. The odds are on my side in this one.

Exactly*

*Though ~50 year old Maple Leaf fans might object.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
It makes you wonder if we will ever see the Devils in a Stanley Cup Finals again.

Exactly 2 years ago (hell, probably at the start of/in the middle of the 2011-2012 season) we had little confidence that the Devils team on the ice for that season was capable of reaching a Cup finals. Look how wrong many of us were as close as the start of those playoffs. If you're going to say with confidence right now that this team won't/can't make the finals again anytime in the next 5, 10, 20, whatever amount of years, you're wrong for thinking you have a clue how it will play out.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Naturally there are exceptions to it, but I wouldn't ever guess that the Leafs would go so long either... They're the statistical anomaly...

The Leafs are only an anomaly because half of their years the league was 12-21 teams and because you'd figure Toronto with its money and prestige could have gotten back once.

It's a little harder to say for certainty with a 30-team league. Fwiw St. Louis also hasn't been to a Final since 1970 and the only years they made it are when one expansion team 'had' to make it. The Isles haven't been to one in 30 years. It's not that uncommon to have long droughts. If anything, it's a bigger anomaly to make the playoffs as much as we have the last twenty five years.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
The Leafs are only an anomaly because half of their years the league was 12-21 teams and because you'd figure Toronto with its money and prestige could have gotten back once.

It's a little harder to say for certainty with a 30-team league. Fwiw St. Louis also hasn't been to a Final since 1970 and the only years they made it are when one expansion team 'had' to make it. The Isles haven't been to one in 30 years. It's not that uncommon to have long droughts. If anything, it's a bigger anomaly to make the playoffs as much as we have the last twenty five years.

Interesting you're mentioned the 30-40 year droughts, but assuming the majority of the posters here are 18-30, you figure they have at least 30-40 years for this to play out...

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I went to the arena to get tickets with my dad to find out it was closed. :laugh:
This thread does make me seriously sad though. :(

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Interesting you're mentioned the 30-40 year droughts, but assuming the majority of the posters here are 18-30, you figure they have at least 30-40 years for this to play out...

It's basically impossible for non-Original Six teams to have longer than 40-year droughts since 80% of the league's only been around for 45 years max lol.

In baseball (where teams have been around longer, for the most part) - the 30+ droughts I can think of where teams haven't even appeared in the World Series are the Cubs, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Seattle (never) and Baltimore (1983 was their last, amazingly). Kansas City comes in just under that with 28 years. Washington/Montreal has never been there either.

I went to the arena to get tickets with my dad to find out it was closed. :laugh:
This thread does make me seriously sad though. :(

Unless you're referring to draft tickets something's seriously off :sarcasm:

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
I'm not, but Lou just hit 70 last year and he is the one calling the shots. Can you guarantee that the next GM of this team will be competent or are we going to hire the next Mike Milbury?

If we hire the next Mike Milbury, he eventually gets fired/replaced, and hopefully for someone competent. So that makes a minor setback for a few years, not the end of the team's hopes for 100 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad