Books: Last Book You Read and Rate It

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
51h754KPRbL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

One of the best books I've read this year.

How the CIA worked with a dissident from the Soviet Union ,who passed over state & military secrets, saving the US billions. A great look at behind the scenes of the Cold War. a real "human" element to the book. Highly recommend.

9.3/10

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009

This book tells the story of Chris Knight who spent 28 years alone in the woods. Might be the only human in history who has gone that long without seeing or talking to anyone, according to the book.

I liked the part about him in the woods, but it's obvious when interviewing Knight, the hermit, he didn't want to talk, so there's not a lot for the author to go on, so a lot of the book is about other hermits , spitballing why someone would want to hermit away, and trying to diagnose what Knight could have - Aspergers, schizoid disorder , depression?

The book was good, and can be easily read over the course of a day or two. I was interested the whole time, but at the end wanted more , but Knight wasn't willing to give it. Not the authors fault. A fine book!

7.1/10

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Hear_the_wind_sing.JPG

Haruki Murakami - hear the wind sing

Read this the other afternoon based off a review left here.

Really enjoyed this short, poignant book. Really painted the picture of what it's like to be a lonely, late twenty something male, reminiscing on past love, & the ache it leaves.

I'm going to read "pinball" soon, based off how much I enjoyed this.

Thank you.

7.4/10

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Hear_the_wind_sing.JPG

Haruki Murakami - hear the wind sing

Read this the other afternoon based off a review left here.

Really enjoyed this short, poignant book. Really painted the picture of what it's like to be a lonely, late twenty something male, reminiscing on past love, & the ache it leaves.

I'm going to read "pinball" soon, based off how much I enjoyed this.

Thank you.

7.4/10

Glad you liked it man. I'm curious, you got/found a copy that only included Hear the Wind Sing? Mine includes both HTWG and Pinball and I thought that was how the stories were published in North America (the author had refused to have them published outside of Japan for a very long time).

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Glad you liked it man. I'm curious, you got/found a copy that only included Hear the Wind Sing? Mine includes both HTWG and Pinball and I thought that was how the stories were published in North America (the author had refused to have them published outside of Japan for a very long time).

I downloaded the ebook. It came as a stand alone. Wasn't a legal download haha

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
32283423.jpg

The year is 2074, and America, plagued with disease and climate change, has entered a second civil war.

The synopsis :

"Sarat Chestnut, born in Louisiana, is only six when the Second American Civil War breaks out in 2074. But even she knows that oil is outlawed, that Louisiana is half underwater, and that unmanned drones fill the sky. When her father is killed and her family is forced into Camp Patience for displaced persons, she begins to grow up shaped by her particular time and place. But not everyone at Camp Patience is who they claim to be. Eventually Sarat is befriended by a mysterious functionary, under whose influence she is turned into a deadly instrument of war. The decisions that she makes will have tremendous consequences not just for Sarat but for her family and her country, rippling through generations of strangers and kin alike."

This book arrives at a time when the world is unsteady, climate change is a real threat, and the war rhetoric between countries seems to ratchet up another notch everyday, making this book look like it may be our reality at some point.

Although it meanders a bit in the middle, it doesn't take long to get back on track. One of the best fiction books to come out this year . Imaginative , and unsettling . Highly recommended .

9.4/10

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
2195464.jpg

As a runner I found this really interesting, basically how Murakami (author of the wild sheep chase, wind up bird chronicle ) journals about preparing mentally for races , how it helps with his writing , and the challenges of getting older and still competing at a high level. Really interesting , if you're looking for more of an insight into the author , and like running .

6.3/10

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Read a ton of books the last couple weeks . Here's some quick ratings :

29780258.jpg

Essays about Trevor Noah growing up in South Africa - both humorous and moving. Really enjoyed this one.

8.7/10

the-blood-of-emmett-till-9781476714844_hr.jpg

Emmett Till was a young black teenager in Mississippi when he flirted with a white woman at a convenience store. He was then kidnapped, tortured and murdered, his body thrown into a river. This book details both the murder and the trial - jury was all white , in Mississippi. Need I say more. Thoughtful book about race relations in the USA, both then and now.

8.5/10

41oPWZioOkL._SX337_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Written by a baptist minister, this is a lecture aimed at white folks about how racism is still prevalent, but its taken on a different form .

7.3/10

88514.jpg

Main characters dad dies and he decides to go on a trip, ends up going to Thailand where he takes part in some sex tourism and meets an adventurous lady who he forms a relationship with upon returning home to France. They later venture back to Thailand, and find themselves in the middle of a terrorist attack . The book is kind of a scathing look at tourism in general , not just sex tourism. Book is erotic, and depressing as hell.

6.8/10

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
220px-TheJaguarSmile.jpg

Kind of a strange book , part story about Nicaragua history in the 80s with the whole contra affair , part literary history of the country. This was my first Salman Rushie book, and I had mixed feelings about it , as it's kind of all over the place. I did want to read more Rushdie, but after this one it's going to be awhile .

5.2/10

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love (1981) - The famous short story collection by Raymond Carver. It goes without saying that all stories deal with love - of all types, not only romantic - but some are far more on the nose about the subject than others. Nonetheless, it's a beautiful read and Carver does well to do away with taking sides or being obsessed with certain characters. No one is presented as particularly good or particularly bad. Carver detaches the reader from the characters for the good of the whole story and you're left with these sorts of little snapchats into the character's lives and thoughts as if looking through a keyhole. An excellent read. Written in his trademark minimalist style, which I like a lot. The stories follow each other well and the read is a calm and pleasant one.

Favorite stories: Sacks, The Bath, Tell the Women We're Going, A Serious Talk (my favorite from the collection).

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Raymond Carver is one of my favourite authors. Have you read Cathedral ?

No, but I love Carver as well. The first book I read of his was collection in french I received as a gift a year and a half ago when I started getting back into reading vicariously. Love him as well and I'll pick up Cathedral as soon as I can. Currently reading Play It as It Lays by Joan Didion and it's pretty good so far.

Last edited:

CraigEhlo

Apr 20, 2017
icehockeylovers.com
Usually, I am not like to read but I read Lost City of the monkey god which is my last and the favorite book to read. It is related to Adventure and History.

8.7/10

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
200px-Going_Clear.jpg

How Scientology came to be, from its origins with L Ron Hubbard to the present. L Ron Hubbard was a quack, possibly schizophrenic , and a pathological liar . Tom Cruise is also a complete nutjob. Great book. Scientology is built on a lie. I don't know how people get caught up in this crap.

8.4/10

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
51wnupYTkOL._SY346_.jpg

The Osage reservation was one of the richest places in the world per capita when oil was discovered on their land. This is after the US government kicked them off of their original land.

One by one members of the Osage are murdered - shot, blown up, poisoned . Anyone who investigated the murders were killed as well. As the death toll passed 24, the FBI , led by Hoover took up the case, who put Tom White in charge of unravelling of the biggest conspiracies in American history . Also shows the prejudice against native Americans that they could be killed off for so long without anyone doing anything about it.

Great book! I'm sure it's going to do real well .

8.6/10

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Stranger in a Strange Land (Uncut Version), Robert Heinlein, originally published in 1961.

2/10

Harold Bloom, one of the most eminent literary critics living today and strong proponent of the literary canon, reminds us that there is so much to read and so little time, so we better choose our books wisely. That's really what makes this book so painful to read. Let me get this out right away: this is truly an awful book. It becomes more and more clear as you make your way through its 500 pages that you are wasting a bit of your life indulging some foolish Atlas Shrugged-esque wetdream.

Some of you may have heard of Stranger in a Strange Land. It's from the same author who wrote Starship Troopers, and it is considered a seminal text in contemporary science fiction. It is a true-blue cult classic, and some have argued that this particular book shaped the science fiction genre as we know it. So, that's why I decided to read it. You can learn a lot about a genre by reading the major texts that influenced it.

The book is set at an indeterminable time in the future, when the moon has already been colonized and early efforts are underway to populate Mars. During the first earth-lead expedition to Mars, a couple give birth to a boy, who is raised by martians until a second expedition team, 25 years later, returns to Mars and brings him back to earth. Valentine Smith, the man-martian, is essentially as ignorant as a child when it comes to understanding human behavior and earthly conventions. He does, however, possess the remarkable martian capacity for learning and thinking. After being rescued, though he doesn't know he's being confined, from a hospital under government administration, Smith's knowledge of the world advances at breakneck speeds under the supervision of a kind of Renaissance, neoliberal polymath named Jubal Harshaw. Eventually, Smith becomes god-like in his knowledge of human beings. His understanding of the world culminates in his creation of the Church of All Worlds, a religion that is centered on orgies, polygamy, and just overall good-old-fashioned "free thinking."

Every single character in this book is vapid and seems potentially braindead, except for Jubal Harshaw, the supposed genius who has apparently unlocked the secret to living a good life with his bankrupt philosophical beliefs. It's pretty obvious that Heinlein made all his other characters intellectually vacuous in order to emphasize Harshaw's perspicacity. Despite the novel's assumption of Harshaw's brilliance, though, he really is a fool who never hits home with anything philosophically interesting. Reading this novel was like listening to someone argue who is completely cocksure of themselves when you know they're just wrong. It's 500 pages of this. And the writing is awful. Not to mention that it doesn't even contain descriptions of interesting and imaginative future technologies, a component that is just standard in run-of the-mill science fiction. The book very clearly represents the author's particular philosophical disposition, which is incredibly annoying, given that the book presents obviously foolish ideas that don't come even close to justifying spending 500 pages on.

If you're looking to dig into the origins of science fiction, I recommend sticking to Jules Verne and H.G. Wells. (But I admit, I'm not super familiar with science fiction as a genre.) If you're looking for a book that reflects that unfortunate time when the John Galts of the world were taken in the mainstream as serious intellectual characters, then this book might be for you. Otherwise, spend your time on something else.

Last edited:

Freedomov76

Oct 24, 2006
The O.A.S.I.S.
Stranger in a Strange Land (Uncut Version), Robert Heinlein, originally published in 1961.

2/10

I had much the same reaction. I just read it a couple years ago and kept telling myself to try and read it from a late 50's/early 60's male perspective as it was written, but couldn't get past how terrible it was regardless. I'm afraid it just hasn't aged well.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Play It as It Lays by Joan Didion (1970) - A stylish and depressing read. Recounting the vapid and grim days of a non-working and depressed actress in her 30s, the novel doesn't have much of a plot and often reads like a less transgressive Less Than Zero although I found Play It as It Lays to be the stronger work. For one, Didion's prose is far more vivid despite it's minimalist aesthetic and tone which serves to make it an enthralling read. The way the novel is formatted also works to it's advantages. There are numerous chapters and most aren't much longer than a page and a half, two or three at most which kind of helps make it a rapid read/page-turner. Most chapters just work as description of Maria's days which involve mostly driving aimlessly, sitting alone or arguing with people in her entourage while throwing in the occasional Hollywood party or sexual encounter. She also longs for her sick daughter Kate and reminisces about past lives. It's an interesting and enthralling read about a depressed person sinking deeper and deeper as her world crumbles around her. The final major action is very effective and beautifully written as well and the most rewarding part of the story IMO.

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
The_Hot_Zone_%28cover%29.jpg

The hot zone reads like a thriller the whole way through. The movie outbreak was based on this book. One of those books I found hard to put down.

The author traces the origins of Ebola through Africa, the Philippines , and in the US. This book was written in the 90s, so there was nothing about the most recent outbreak, but he ended it with the chilling lines : it will happen again. And it did, which makes me think that an Ebola outbreak will happen again at some time in the future.

9.2/10

Top ten reads of 2017 so far:

Matthew Desmond - Evicted
Timothy Snyder - On Tyranny
Colson Whitehead - the Underground Railroad
Amor Towles - A gentleman in Moscow
Paul Beatty - The Sellout
Richard Preston - The Hot Zone
David Grann - Killers of the flower moon
Trevor Noah - born a crime
Omar El Akkad - American war
David E. Hoffman - the billion dollar spy

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
At various points in my life I've read various books centred around young men moving around. Travelling either through desire or necessity, the restless youth of humanity is embodied by people of a past age, for these books are invariably (at least) pre-WW2 in either their setting or publication and the worlds they pass through are unrecognisable to me but through the writing itself. While I have little to no desire to ever experience this sort of life for myself - it takes something quite special to make me long to be somewhere without a fridge and an internet connection - in the case of something truly profound like Journey to the End of the Night the places these young men are in rarely matter, as the things they experience and think are relatable anyway. "I was twenty, and all I had was a past." Quite.

Perhaps the most famous of this type of novel is On the Road by Jack, Kerouac, whose title and subsequent legacy are completely antithetical to remaining stationary, settled, content. For whatever reason the only copies of this my library has are of what's titled The Original Scroll, which is a complete reprinting of Kerouac's first go at writing this novel. Typed over the course of three weeks, it's 120 pages of continuous typewritten pages. No paragraphs. Mercifully he was a very accurate typist and he appreciates punctuation. He also appreciates Celine too, so I suppose I could indeed explain away any complaints with the form by virtue of knowing that the man speaking has good taste.

I might struggle to separate my issues with the content from my issues with the form as I write this. I will blame this on the form, the semi stream of consciousness you can expect from something typed in one go is easy to follow. The narrator is at least reasonable which is the minimum you want and what he and his friends do is always interesting enough to enjoy. The problem is that it's never ending. And it's so compressed. He talks of spanning an entire, endless continents and going through states and cities and communities where he has so much experience and so many memories and yet all of this is done in about three pages, in the time it takes to go from New York to Denver to California. For as much is made about the size of the country and the endless opportunity it provides, very little is actually spent on the road. I think the longest passage describing any journey is one from California to Chicago which takes 23 hours but is described in more detail than any others.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it's not as if the time spent in various cities isn't enjoyable reading. The problem that does come from this is the sheer volume of places and people. Flitting from place to place so willingly brings with it new people and new events and it's a nightmare trying to keep up with all of them. This 'Scroll' version was published to celebrate the original novel's 50th anniversary and if I ever read the revised version I'd hope it's in better order than this. Structurally, more than anything else. I still wouldn't be able to keep up with all the names and the things which happened before, but reading something written in one go as it were is exhausting. I don't know whether it's from the format or the content of his life Kerouac is writing about but I can appreciate the weariness of his constant travel, the work, the financial uncertainty, putting up with his friend Neal Cassady (who the book is effectively about, I suppose), they all wear him down. But it's through his unwavering appreciation of and enthusiasm for life, for the next opportunity/destination/girl waiting just round the corner in whatever stolen car they happen to be driving.

There's a great passage - several pages long and I don't want to type it out - of a party during his first time in San Francisco that encapsulates the whole novel almost perfectly. The immediacy of an entire shared existence and the revelling in the enjoyment of youth and all the lack of responsibility that comes with it, shared experience with friends and people you know and love who you believe in to do great things, to be doing great things, which ultimately ends instantly even for all the planning that went into and all the expectations people had for it. Which I think is a nice paradox of Kerouac in writing and being in this novel. He very much follows life wherever it goes and wherever he wants, he has no knowledge or certainty of what will happen to him yet he seems to have an expectation that it will come and he will do it and there is always something there for him, somewhere, on the road.

I hope the image I have of him typing this out on a continuous roll of paper is as feverish in reality as it is in my head. For I think the speed you have to read it at, the speed it was lived at, had to be reflected in its initial documentation. I'm just glad I read it knowing there was a working toilet in the next room.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't want to ruin your fun but I'm fairly certain the three weeks claim is bullcrap. I could be getting this wrong, but I think a few people who were close to Kerouac at the time said it wasn't true and that he was very meticulous through long periods of time with the book. Also, yes, the actual novel is written with edited flow and punctuation which helps it a lot (can't say the same with something like Big Sur) but yeah, I like On the Road. It's a fine and sweet read. His interviews are loads of fun too.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
13260156.jpg

This book details the 500 days that followed the sept 11th attacks, and while it deals with a lot of subject matter from prisoners in Syria, to the Bali nightclub bombings , what I found most interesting was the scoop from the White House about Bush and Cheney - they were in panic mode . Their fear and panic then wormed its way into the entire establishment.

One of the best books I've read, filled with evidence building the case against the Bush administration. Everything was a lie from Bushs state of the union telling everyone they had captured terrorists in Bosnia who were plotting to bomb the embassy there, to the Iraq war .

The sheer incompetence of the CIA is on full display, with no idea how to question or interrogate people to get the truth and instead use torture which led nowhere .

My biggest issue was calling the people of Afghanistan, "afghanis" which is wrong. They are Afghans, Afghanis in the currency. Small mistake that he repeats quite often where it needs to be pointed out.

Great book and a must read for those interested in the subject matter.

A lot of what is in the book is now common knowledge, but this book shows you how it came to be the mess that it currently is. This is how it all started, play by play.

8.6/10

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Play It as It Lays by Joan Didion (1970) - A stylish and depressing read. Recounting the vapid and grim days of a non-working and depressed actress in her 30s, the novel doesn't have much of a plot and often reads like a less transgressive Less Than Zero although I found Play It as It Lays to be the stronger work. For one, Didion's prose is far more vivid despite it's minimalist aesthetic and tone which serves to make it an enthralling read. The way the novel is formatted also works to it's advantages. There are numerous chapters and most aren't much longer than a page and a half, two or three at most which kind of helps make it a rapid read/page-turner. Most chapters just work as description of Maria's days which involve mostly driving aimlessly, sitting alone or arguing with people in her entourage while throwing in the occasional Hollywood party or sexual encounter. She also longs for her sick daughter Kate and reminisces about past lives. It's an interesting and enthralling read about a depressed person sinking deeper and deeper as her world crumbles around her. The final major action is very effective and beautifully written as well and the most rewarding part of the story IMO.

I finished this today. Picked away at it the last couple of days. I really enjoyed it as well . Thanks for your review , which made me seek it out. Right up my alley . Not much to add to what you already said , review wise.

8.1/10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad