Proposal: LA's 2020 first rounder, #7 OA - for your top end LHD, prime or younger

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I mean, you pay your scouts for a reason. If the entire Leafs brass thinks, for example, Jake Sanderson or Jamie Drysdale, is going to be a top-pair, #1 type guy (which I am not saying because I am not a scout), and you can turn three years of Rielly (who realistically we are in tough to keep) into this plus capspace (which in itself has value), thats why they get paid and we get trophies for liking 50 posts or whatever on HFBoards. In fact, Kyle Dubas routinely cites the book "The Score Takes Care Of Itself" which is a book about Bill Walsh and the 49ers and they talk about being realists and recycling players at peak value they know they cannot (or should not) keep for long term assets with an eye towards longterm contention (something Shanahan and Dubas frequently talk about). Winning a trade is seldom about just receiving a thing that you think is equal or better in return (aka winning a "bad" trade which happens but, let's say, shouldn't). It is about getting surplus value another team doesn't know they are giving up (a team thinking they are trading a mYsTeRy BoX but actually trading a top pair/#1 defencemen).
I don’t know where the last time was a number seven pick became a top pairing defender in his draft year. Even if he has that upside, Tavares And Muzzin would likely be in their mid thirties by the time he reaches Rielly level play while showing some serious wear and declining play. Rielly is worth more to the Leafs right now. The crap show our defense put on with him injured should be indicative of that.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A pick in the 20's who has been disappointing since for the #7oa?

oilers84

Jun 24, 2009
To la
Kelf
Lagesson
Marody
McPhee
Carins

to edm
2020 1st
Kaliyev
Thomas
Kupari

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
To la
Kelf
Lagesson
Marody
McPhee
Carins

to edm
2020 1st
Kaliyev
Thomas
Kupari

I don't know why you'd offer this Klefbom is our #1 D. Are you planning another rebuild? We just made the playoffs FFS.

The rest of the pieces from Edmonton aren't much to write home about.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I’d imagine the only thing Nurse moves for is a similar aged top line LW or RW with term. LA isn’t exactly overflowing with those .

Realistically, LA should be looking at a guy that’s maybe a bit overpriced in the 28-31 y/o range if they want someone that’ll help right now.
Would be interested in something like Tatar plus switch of first picks?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would be interested in something like Tatar plus switch of first picks?

For Nurse? No, I don't think I'd be interested in that. Yamamoto's emergence has taken a lot of the brunt out of the issues at forward, and Nurse's loss would create a hole much bigger than the one Tatar would be filling.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Out of curiousity. Why would any team trade for Nic Haque?
Yes he is big, but not really what teams trade for. Not to mention a 1st

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Would LA look at this?

Nurse, Puljujarvi, Chaisson, Russell, 2020-1st and 2021-1st for Doughty. Chaisson and Russell are short term cap dumps to facilitate 11 million.

works out to Nurse, Puljujarvi and 2 1sts for Doughty.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Would LA look at this?

Nurse, Puljujarvi, Chaisson, Russell, 2020-1st and 2021-1st for Doughty. Chaisson and Russell are short term cap dumps to facilitate 11 million.

LA is looking for someone to pair with Doughty or to carry the 2nd pairing so Doughty can ease in one of our youth Dman on the top pairing. Moving Doughty is a non starter.

XXX--Doughty
Anderson--Walker
MacDermid--Roy

Or

Bjornfot--Doughty
XXX--Walker
Anderson--Roy

The Kings are looking to build their new core guys around Kopitar, Doughty, Quick and Brown. Those 4 guys are the veteran leaders that LA management wants to keep around to teach the young guns.

Like I said before...LA is probably only looking into a veteran spot filler Dman for 1 or 2 year contract to ease the youth in. Someone in the mold of Edmundson (like a lot of LA fans want). The only other option is to go after a young Dman (with picks/prospects or offer sheet) that is buried by team depth on a cap crunched team that can take a spot away from the upcoming young guns on LA. A player like Sergachev or Zadorov.

I'd love to get Nurse but Edmonton shouldn't ever trade him. He is their best Dman on the team (yes better than Klefbom). I also think Puljujarvi would fit well in LA with the Center's we have but I doubt Edmonton would be willing to move him to LA (value wise or in conference). I also don't think Puljujarvi has very much value right now (3rd+prospect).

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Would LA look at this?

I would definitely look at that and maybe tweak something here and there.
But the majority of the Kings peeps wouldn't

One of the tweaks would be Russel and Chaison, i would ask for something in return for helping out with the cap. And some kind of an insurance to have Puljujarvi in North America would be preferable.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad