Lars Eller

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Perfect no. 3 center, his line has some great potential for a checking energy two-way line.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
A lot of people were ragging on him because he's got mad tunnel vision, but his line creates so much energy on the forecheck. Be prepared to see him hog the puck for the rest of the season. He won't score a ton of points but he will create a lot of energy and be responsible defensively.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I thought him and his line played well in all 3 games, generating some scoring chances, had a strong forecheck and playing mostly in the offensive zone. I'm glad we won all 3 games because he would have been the scapegoat.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Makes some really weird decisions with the puck. However, just to put things into perspective, each member on his line could have easily put up 2-3 points in the last two games. When you add that to the fact that he hasn't really been a liability, I don't see how we can be that mad. His scapegoating comes more from people reacting to his overhyping than to his actual play on the ice.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Who's been Eller's most common line mate on RW? Is it PAP or Sekac?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
im still of the opinion that as soon as he gets some offensive confidence rolling, he'll be poised for a "breakthrough" in terms of production.

he makes head scratching decisions, but he shows very good hockey sense with the puck outside of those moments, which lends to the idea that he overthinks when he gets excited…

could be a problem his whole career, or it could all click for him… i'd still bullish on the latter.

aside from that, not much to complain about his game @ #3C spot. for his cap hit/ice-time/usage, he's overdelivering even without the finish we'd all like to see.

very valuable asset

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
If you expect him to be an offensive #2C you could be disappointed, but as a 3rd C I think he fits in perfectly and played fine. A bit rusty but he also didn't have much of a pre-season. But he hit the post, Bourque hit a post, Parenteau had a disallowed goal (that should've been, but if Bourque didn't just go in the goalie for no reason it very likely was a goal still), generated some very good scoring chances overall, etc.

He could very easily have 1g 2a by now with just a little bit of luck and then people would be talking about how strong of a start he had. Those posts will eventually be goals and he'll be just fine in the role he has. I gave up personally on Eller as a #1/#2C, but I think he's a very solid 3rd C that can generate offense at 5v5 on a checking line, something our others center cannot do as well.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
A lot of people were ragging on him because he's got mad tunnel vision, but his line creates so much energy on the forecheck. Be prepared to see him hog the puck for the rest of the season. He won't score a ton of points but he will create a lot of energy and be responsible defensively.

The Tunnel Vision Crap has gone on far too long and needs to be put to bed.
Eller's directive is to eat the puck rather than turn it over. (period)
PAP's disallowed goal was a perfect example of Lars tunnel vision.:sarcasm:
Lars made a large number of fine plays in last years Playoffs that no player with tunnel vision could make. He set Gio in on three breakaways; He set PK in on his breakaway goal...

Lars Eller grew up playing hockey in Europe. The game is played differently than in NA. There is much more close support with shorter passes. Lars is very hesitant to make a longer/riskier pass. It has absolutely zero to do with his vision. He grew up playing the game a different way, his coach wants him playing a certain way, and our game is definitely not the close support style it should be...

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm with McGuire on this one. He's a hard working centre but will probably never be a top 2 centre on a good team.

If the plan is to keep Plex and Galchenyuk I'm starting to wonder where he'll fit in our lineup in the future. He doesn't really bring anything that DLR can't and DLR has more offensive uoside in my opinion.

I think we need to start looking for a top 2 centre in the next year or two.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm with McGuire on this one. He's a hard working centre but will probably never be a top 2 centre on a good team.

If the plan is to keep Plex and Galchenyuk I'm starting to wonder where he'll fit in our lineup in the future. He doesn't really bring anything that DLR can't and DLR has more offensive uoside in my opinion.

How about we keep him as our 3rd?
How about we keep him until someone else starts outperforming him in the playoffs?
How about we look at another line altogether to determine what can be improved on this team?

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006

DLR has more offensive upside than Eller? It's tough to say for sure, but based on what I've seen from DLR, there is no way he has more offensive upside than Eller.

And I think Eller could be an effective 2nd line centre...look at 2nd line centers around the league...I would take Eller ahead of a lot of those centers. And the whole "tunnel vision" thing is BS. He has more than decent vision. Some questionable decisions with the puck primarily due to lack of confidence, but two playoffs in a row he was a beast, and when put in an offensive role to start last season, he was very good.

I expect Eller to be one of our top 3 forwards this year's playoffs as well.

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
Played decently well this season so far. Had some great shifts with his line(s). Hopefully he can keep it up.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Starting his 4th season as an NHL center for the Habs, in most trades this is the final year, after which he will be considered a journeyman. A player that can be used in all situations, hockey players in Montreal used to grow through the system this way, regularly in the Habs of the 50's, 60's and 70's. After losing Sammy Pollock and Scotty Bowman in 1979, the Habs system fell in disarray.

The Bergevin era has renewed our organization to past standards with upgrades in the personnel necessary to be competitive with the "Elite Teams" once again. Eller's top upside isn't merely a 3rd line center, Plekanec went through the same career path on his way to being a complete two/way centerman. Fans need to realize our prospects all go through these learning phases, very few players can step straight into the top line center's job. Crosby, Toews, Tavares, Stamkos are special talents that can make the adjustments while playing at the NHL level. Particularly in Montreal players learn in controlled phases building confidence and making a career for those that have the desire and passion to become the best hockey players that they can become. Some fail to make the NHL, whether from lack of drive or talent, but Eller isn't going to fail, IMHO.:nod:

FanHabtic*

Eller could have at least 3 points by now if not for bad luck. He's playing well, is a bull when he drives with the puck. He's exactly what we need.

Note also that he rarely gets offensive zone starts.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I remember how much **** Pierre McGuire received for calling Eller a 3rd line centre (albeit a good one). He wasn't exactly wrong.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
How about we keep him as our 3rd?
How about we keep him until someone else starts outperforming him in the playoffs?
How about we look at another line altogether to determine what can be improved on this team?

That's why I said it depends what we do with Plex. If we keep him and Chucky then I think an aging Plex would be the better fit as a 3rd and we need an offensive centre to play the 2nd line. I don't see DD as a long term option. The 3rd line role would be between Eller and Plex but that means we still need another centre and to get rid of one or two.

DLR has more offensive upside than Eller? It's tough to say for sure, but based on what I've seen from DLR, there is no way he has more offensive upside than Eller.

And I think Eller could be an effective 2nd line centre...look at 2nd line centers around the league...I would take Eller ahead of a lot of those centers. And the whole "tunnel vision" thing is BS. He has more than decent vision. Some questionable decisions with the puck primarily due to lack of confidence, but two playoffs in a row he was a beast, and when put in an offensive role to start last season, he was very good.

I expect Eller to be one of our top 3 forwards this year's playoffs as well.

Eller has never showed any consistant offense in his career at any level so I'm not sure why you see him as an offensive player. Barring hot streaks he's incredibly inconsistent and shows no offensive instinct in the offensive zone (circling around doesn't count). He's much better suited as a 3rd line centre because he has done Offensive upside but he's not relied upon to score goals. Even at that, Plex is a much better option at this point.

As for DLR, time will tell but he has better hands than Eller and more offensive instinct from what I've seen. He was win if the better forwards for Sweden at the WJs and scored some key goals. yiutr entitled to your opinion but I think a guy like DLR is a better fit then Eller who's a bit of a head case.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Larry missed pre-season. He will get better as the season goes on.

0Hq77un.jpg

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
^
He also said Patch wouldn't amount to much more than a Mike Mcphee type player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad